Rent

Replied by FrankN on topic Renting when it's the only way to go...

I agree. For that example, the $600 is for a high-rise condo. So the money is used for new A/C / Heat and other random renovations. unless you are own the board, you literally have no say.
6 years 1 month ago #1

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Renting when it's the only way to go...

FrankN wrote: HOAs fees cant definitely be painful! I have 2 friends with HOAs over $600 a month! I could not believe it.

There is just no way that would make any sense to me. Not only is that a ridiculous fee, but I hate the idea of someone dictating to me I can and cannot do with the exterior of my home. The HoA lays down the law about colors, furniture, mailbox styles, flags, etc. and I've even heard of them forcing people to have uniform window treatments because they can be seen from the outside. So, I have to pay and I don't even have the freedom to do what I want with my house? No, thank you.
6 years 2 months ago #2

HOAs fees cant definitely be painful! I have 2 friends with HOAs over $600 a month! I could not believe it.
6 years 3 months ago #3

Replied by JGibbs on topic Renting when it's the only way to go...

Wanderer wrote: The thing that scares me is the amount of freedom Condo and Town House HOAs have over setting the monthly/annual costs. Often the people who own the units have very little legal control and can get hit hard. Seems the only hope is to get a spot on the board and try to keep on top of the happenings!

Absolutely! Some impose crazy rules and fine people who don't comply. Fees can go up after you move in and some HOAs don't offer much of a benefit. That's scary.
6 years 3 months ago #4

Replied by Moneyes on topic What am I missing?

JGibbs wrote:

FrankN wrote: I am the same way. I have never had to pay the last months rent. Maybe its different in other states.

What is the purpose of requesting the last months rent?

The only benefit I see benefits the tenant more than the landlord. Say you pay $1,000 month rent. When you are getting ready to move, you don't have to pay that last $1,000 dollars. You can use that to put down on another aprtment, for example.

It makes the financial portion of moving more seemless.
6 years 3 months ago #5

Replied by Joker on topic Renting when it's the only way to go...

Oh, I see. If the fees jumped from $85 to $200, that is pretty ridiculous. Are there any problems that people are having paying that increase? I would think that there are a few who really can't afford that kind of thing.
6 years 3 months ago #6

Replied by Wanderer on topic Renting when it's the only way to go...

The thing that scares me is the amount of freedom Condo and Town House HOAs have over setting the monthly/annual costs. Often the people who own the units have very little legal control and can get hit hard. Seems the only hope is to get a spot on the board and try to keep on top of the happenings!
6 years 3 months ago #7

Replied by JacksonM on topic Renting when it's the only way to go...

FrankN wrote: That's pretty nice, what is your monthly fee?

Redoing the parking was nice, but there was some bad management before I moved in and the project drained the account. It jumped from $85 a month to $200 after that to get the reserves up again and make sure they can cover the painting project. Hopefully, in the future, they can find a happy medium.
6 years 3 months ago #8

That's pretty nice, what is your monthly fee?
6 years 3 months ago #9

Joker wrote: I'm curious, why are you not responsible for the exterior? Painting and maintaining the roof, repair of overhangs, etc. are always the responsibility of the property owner, not to mention the grass/yard. I'd be curious to get your answer.

It's a townhome and the exterior is maintained by a Home Owner's Association. I pay a monthly fee and they provide lawn care, pest control, and maintain the buildings and parking areas. The parking areas were redone a few years ago, and the buildings are scheduled to be repainted this coming year.
6 years 4 months ago #10

Replied by Wanderer on topic Renting when it's the only way to go...

Do you live in a housing coop type style where the exterior maintenance is done by others and you pay a service (HOA) fee?
6 years 4 months ago #11

Replied by Joker on topic Renting when it's the only way to go...

I'm curious, why are you not responsible for the exterior? Painting and maintaining the roof, repair of overhangs, etc. are always the responsibility of the property owner, not to mention the grass/yard. I'd be curious to get your answer.
6 years 4 months ago #12

JacksonM wrote: To each his/her own. I never thought I'd own property. It wasn't something I was clued in about or really even considered. A friend of mine bought a house with his girlfriend, leaving me to figure something out. Initially, I was set to rent again, but my buddy who'd just bought encouraged me to compare the costs. Considering monthly expenses, it's been cheaper for me to own. I did have to replace the water heater which sucked, but at least I'm not responsible for the exterior.

I am glad to hear you have had a good experience with owning.
6 years 6 months ago #13

To each his/her own. I never thought I'd own property. It wasn't something I was clued in about or really even considered. A friend of mine bought a house with his girlfriend, leaving me to figure something out. Initially, I was set to rent again, but my buddy who'd just bought encouraged me to compare the costs. Considering monthly expenses, it's been cheaper for me to own. I did have to replace the water heater which sucked, but at least I'm not responsible for the exterior.
6 years 6 months ago #14

Replied by JGibbs on topic What am I missing?

FrankN wrote: I am the same way. I have never had to pay the last months rent. Maybe its different in other states.

What is the purpose of requesting the last months rent? I've never clued in to what that's about. In my state there's a law that the landlord must either refund the deposit if there's no damage, or give an itemized list of damages and fees that the tenant is responsible for. I think that helps a great deal because in other areas I've resided the deposit was always kept.
6 years 6 months ago #15