How to stop myself from shopping?

Replied by jordane on topic Shopping

I would say that you need to make a budget and stick with it. If you write down everything you spend, you might scare yourself into stopping shopping.
8 years 4 months ago #16

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Shopping

It's been my experience that some people who shop excessively do so to satisfy an emotional need. If spending the money is causing a problem with your responsibilities and/or your relationship, you may want to talk to a therapist to see if there is an underlying cause for the shopping.
8 years 7 months ago #17

Replied by smcc811 on topic Re: How to stop myself from shopping?

Have to ask, with your shopping behavior, are you able to pay your bill off every month if your using cc's to finance your spree ? Are you able to save 30% of your income monthly with your shopping profile ? If you are currently employed and you lose your job, are you able to pay off your current shopping debt ( on the assumption you don't pay your shopping bills off every month ) ?

Since your age isn't given and the assumption here is your over 40, are you on track with your retirement plans ? If your younger than 40 have you started a retirement plan ? If you are married and have children, are their college education plans being funded to the point that their tuition will not put you in any financial bind when its time for them to enroll ?

Do you have current bills that your shopping fund could be used towards to pay them down and thus cut your overall debt by "x" number of dollars ?

Basically, if your life is on track financially and your retirement is sound, your children's future is bright ( if you have kids ) your house is paid off, you own your cars, you owe no back taxes, no unpaid medical bills, your job is stable with no chance of being laid off regardless of the economy and your only debt is monthly living expenses, then I say " continue on" but if not, I would rethink my shopping profile, just a thought, just a thought........
11 years 7 months ago #18
  • AlbertDisuza11
  • AlbertDisuza11's Avatar Topic Author

was created by AlbertDisuza11

Hi everyone,

I posted this thread because I am not able to understand why I use to shop this much without any reason. I really get feed up with my this habit. Please suggest me what to do in this situation and how to stop this.

Thanks in advance.
11 years 7 months ago #19