Identity Theft At The Gas Station

• smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Identity Theft At The Gas Station

I guess we as a society have become so dependent on Debit/Credit Cards that some of us don't carry cash at all anymore. My father taught me to carry some money because you never know what might happen. But this was before the Smart Phone, the ATM, WiFi, etc.. To actually withdraw cash from an ATM has become archaic. Business that don't have Card Readers in their establishment run the risk of less business to those who do because of the convenience factor.

I know card readers are a cost but I'm assuming the increase in business offsets this.

I know I ran off on a tangent here but what does the Gas Station owner do now, wait for technology to resolve this issue?
15 years 8 months ago #16
  • eric
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by eric on topic Re: Identity Theft At The Gas Station

With credit card purchases, the consumer isn't responsible fraudulent charges. Let's see if banks can keep their promise.

They will by Federal law they have too HJM...but we may make it harder or make the consumer do more footwork to get it resolved.
15 years 8 months ago #17
  • eric
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by eric on topic Re: Identity Theft At The Gas Station

Something to think about the next time you use your Credit/Debit card to purchase gas at the pump

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2008-08-04-gaspumpskimming_N.htm

I guess the remedy here is to get the cash before you go fill up and go inside and pay cash.

Nice article...Ive heard of skimming for quite some time now...usually its at an ATM or it could be behind the gas station counter as well...I saw an article on 20/20 about 5 or 6 yrs ago that discussed skimming and one of the thieves they bust worked at the gas station and had a skimming machine behind the counter...So your exactly right...its a pain in the you know what know a days to carry or get cash though...lol
15 years 8 months ago #18

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Identity Theft At The Gas Station

With credit card purchases, the consumer isn't responsible fraudulent charges. Let's see if banks can keep their promise.
15 years 8 months ago #19
  • smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

was created by smcc

Something to think about the next time you use your Credit/Debit card to purchase gas at the pump

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2008-08-04-gaspumpskimming_N.htm

I guess the remedy here is to get the cash before you go fill up and go inside and pay cash.
15 years 8 months ago #20