Credit Union Scams

Replied by FrankN on topic Telephone variant of Credit Union Scams

Goldbug wrote: There's a new one now, that relies on digital telephone systems. The scammer gives the victim the actual number for the bank, and tells the person to hang up and call them back. They then stay on the line, so the connection doesn't clear. If the victim has a phone that clears the line when they hang up, then they'll actually call their bank and the scammer loses nothing. If not, the victim dials the number on their phone (which is already connected) and finds themselves straight through to the scammer. Always make sure there's a dialtone before dialling, or ask the other person to clear if there isn't.

That is horrible! I can easily see how older people get scammed by this. What a shame.
6 years 9 months ago #1

Replied by CentsibleSaver on topic Telephone variant of Credit Union Scams

Goldbug, do you by chance know which demographic is being targeted and which credit union it supposedly names? I need to warn my grandparents who have will believe just anything and trust everyone. Thank you for brining this up!
6 years 9 months ago #2

Replied by Goldbug on topic Telephone variant of Credit Union Scams

There's a new one now, that relies on digital telephone systems. The scammer gives the victim the actual number for the bank, and tells the person to hang up and call them back. They then stay on the line, so the connection doesn't clear. If the victim has a phone that clears the line when they hang up, then they'll actually call their bank and the scammer loses nothing. If not, the victim dials the number on their phone (which is already connected) and finds themselves straight through to the scammer. Always make sure there's a dialtone before dialling, or ask the other person to clear if there isn't.
6 years 9 months ago #3

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Credit Union Scams

5/20/2009
14 years 11 months ago #4

Replied by princee18 on topic people are using many tricks

people are using many tricks to steal the cc info.Its very often in news that how the frauds are being caught for phishing and other illegal activities to cheat people.
now people have to be cautious about everything( be it phone calls, e-mails or something else)
15 years 11 months ago #5

Replied by Meya on topic This is what I get

This is what I get on my emails everday. Oh but wait, what about the calls that says "Hi, I have an important message regarding your account. Dont worry there is nothing wrong with your account, but I can save you.....blah, blah, blah" I get so upset because I feel like the DO NOT CALL LIST is a waste of time even though it is free. Think about the people who will fall for this crap and actually give up their credit card number thinking they were about to save. This is hillarius.
16 years 4 days ago #6
  • alpha
  • alpha's Avatar Topic Author

was created by alpha

Apparently there's a new variation on trying to steal your credit union info. You get an automated telephone call that tells you data has been breached at your credit union and to call a "special" number. Needless to say, that number is not your real credit union.
16 years 4 days ago #7