Target Credit Card Database

Replied by FrankN on topic Take the monitoring

Wanderer wrote: Yes, different lenders have different set levels. Most of mine start at $5, you can set it higher (your choice). Even have one that starts at $1.

I guess it depends on your budget and how often you use the card. If you use the card everyday and have a lot of transactions, I would not recommend putting $1 as the minimum.
6 years 11 months ago #1

Replied by Wanderer on topic Take the monitoring

Yes, different lenders have different set levels. Most of mine start at $5, you can set it higher (your choice). Even have one that starts at $1.
6 years 11 months ago #2

Replied by FrankN on topic Take the monitoring

If you call your credit card company that is possible. However there would likely be a minimum amount, something like over $50.
7 years 1 hour ago #3

Replied by Tishbel on topic Take the monitoring

That sounds really good. I'll have to ask mine if they do anything like that, because it seems like I really can't be too careful now. Are there any that make you automatically have to confirm payment by email or something like that before they let a transaction go through?
7 years 1 week ago #4

Replied by Wanderer on topic Take the monitoring

Chase and most other lenders offer the ability to set up alerts that you can receive e-mail, text, push alerts and so on. Use them myself and it does keep your attention and allow for the ability to try and stop unwanted activities. Might ad, it works.
7 years 1 week ago #5

Replied by Lexie on topic Take the monitoring

My Chase card has recently offered free monitoring on its usage and I took it. Every time it's used, I get an email which I like very much. I mean almost immediately. This makes me feel more secure using this card.
7 years 1 week ago #6

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Take the monitoring

Did you see some of the responses from the website owners when they were told their customers' payments had been compromised? One owner actually said he/she didn't care because they use a third party site for payment. What the heck does it matter how payment is made?? They should care more about their customers! I'd love to know what site made that ignorant statement.
7 years 1 week ago #7

Replied by Goldbug on topic Take the monitoring

djames wrote: If there is any kind of compromised information with any card and they offer you free credit monitoring, take it. It doesn't matter whether you shopped there during that time period. Sometimes access is gained to their database and it doesn't matter when you last shopped. Either way, free monitoring is added protections so you should always take advantage of such offers.

With some of the latest ones, like PCworld's report that 8,000 online shops are compromised ( PC World October 2016 - Thousands of online stores compromised ) it seems like a very good idea to use any monitoring or identity theft protection available.
7 years 1 week ago #8

Replied by 2darnbroke on topic Take the monitoring

I'd definitely agree with that philosophy. If they offer me something free, that could help protect me, than why not take it? It doesn't make any sense to turn it down.
8 years 2 months ago #9

Replied by djames on topic Take the monitoring

If there is any kind of compromised information with any card and they offer you free credit monitoring, take it. It doesn't matter whether you shopped there during that time period. Sometimes access is gained to their database and it doesn't matter when you last shopped. Either way, free monitoring is added protections so you should always take advantage of such offers.
8 years 2 months ago #10

Replied by Breakinger on topic Target Credit Card Database

I was one of the people affected by this theft last year. I didn't use my debit card, I used my Discover card and because of this, they issued me a new card. I really don't know what information these individuals ended up with, but I've been closely monitoring everything just to be safe.
8 years 2 months ago #11
  • Finance Globe
  • Finance Globe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

was created by Finance Globe

Has anyone been affected by the Target CC theft? I got a few emails from them regarding free credit report monitoring, but we did not shop there during the affected time. This is another reason to not use a debit card for shopping!
10 years 2 months ago #12