No Job And No Prospects

Replied by Medi on topic No Job And No Prospects

I wonder if some people still look differently at those who get financial help during their unemployed period. Perhaps that's why FrugalFran and family gave up the chance. Consider future plans and the remaining budget regularly, so you know when to get help before things turn to worse.
7 years 5 months ago #16

Replied by Wanderer on topic No Job And No Prospects

FrugalFran take advantage of any Unemployment/Benefit Services that are available. That is the whole point of the program. To try and bridge the temporary unemployed situation. Sometimes even school/retraining is made available as part of the program benefits. For myself, I took advantage of the "Dislocated Worker" Program and obtained schooling to make me more marketable!
7 years 5 months ago #17

Replied by FrankN on topic No Job And No Prospects

I agree, take advantage of the program if he qualifies. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that with someone in that kind of situation.
7 years 5 months ago #18

Replied by patse on topic No Job And No Prospects

FrugalFran wrote: My family is in this situation right now with my husband being laid off. So far we haven't applied for any assistance and we've just been tapping into our emergency fund. Lay offs aren't unusual in his line of work, so we're hoping something will change and he'll have another job soon.

Good luck to your husband in finding a new job. Question though, is he getting unemployment? I don't consider this government help - after all we pay in to this so we should be able to use it when needed.
7 years 5 months ago #19

Best of luck to you FrugalFran, and I hope things turn around for you very quickly.
7 years 7 months ago #20

Replied by FrugalFran on topic No Job And No Prospects

My family is in this situation right now with my husband being laid off. So far we haven't applied for any assistance and we've just been tapping into our emergency fund. Lay offs aren't unusual in his line of work, so we're hoping something will change and he'll have another job soon.
7 years 7 months ago #21

I agree that is what it is there for.
7 years 9 months ago #22

Replied by Breakinger on topic No Job And No Prospects

I agree that there is nothing wrong with getting help when you really need it. I know most people who have lost their jobs due to company closures or layoffs are the people that deserve this type of help the most. That way they can focus more on getting another job, than worrying about how they are going to feed their family.
7 years 9 months ago #23

I would try to get government assistance first if you have that option, but I agree with PATSE I would do everything you can to get back on your feet first.
7 years 9 months ago #24

Replied by patse on topic No Job And No Prospects

Busting my butt daily. Walking the pavement until I find one. I would go on unemployment until I found something, but I would make finding a job my job. I'm thankful that I'm not facing this situation.
7 years 9 months ago #25
  • Curry
  • Curry's Avatar Topic Author

No Job And No Prospects was created by Curry

When you lose your job and have no other immediate prospects, what is your plan of action? Getting on government assistance or living off of your savings until another job comes along?
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Curry.
7 years 9 months ago #26