Global Recession

Replied by FrankN on topic Global Recession

I have to agree on the grocery point. I feel like prices have gone up considerably over the last few months.
6 years 4 months ago #1

Replied by Joker on topic Global Recession

I don't know if everyone feels this way, but it seems like my finances are in a recession already. My dollar just doesn't go as far as it used to which really hurts. Groceries are even over-priced!
6 years 4 months ago #2

Joker wrote: Just a thought on this....it is 2017 and we are running headlong for the bottom if you ask me. Our country is in a freefall as far as the value of the dollar against other currencies. Building is slow, investments are risky, and I for one am feeling like there is just nowhere to go but down especially with the current regime!

This is one of the longest bull runs we have had so agreed we are heading for a recession at some point in the near future, in my opinion.
6 years 6 months ago #3

Replied by Joker on topic Global Recession

Just a thought on this....it is 2017 and we are running headlong for the bottom if you ask me. Our country is in a freefall as far as the value of the dollar against other currencies. Building is slow, investments are risky, and I for one am feeling like there is just nowhere to go but down especially with the current regime!
6 years 6 months ago #4

Pinky wrote: I am in total agreement with you about "where we will be at the end of 2017". If Trump has his way, we will all be in the poor house and the rich will only get richer. He is making so many enemies of friendly foreign governments, that I am truly ashamed of him. I realize that he is trying to collect some of the money owed to us and thumbs up on that endeavor, however the way he goes about it might put us all in danger.

He definitely loves to talk about nationalism which could put the global economy in a recession.
6 years 7 months ago #5

Replied by Pinky on topic Global Recession

I am in total agreement with you about "where we will be at the end of 2017". If Trump has his way, we will all be in the poor house and the rich will only get richer. He is making so many enemies of friendly foreign governments, that I am truly ashamed of him. I realize that he is trying to collect some of the money owed to us and thumbs up on that endeavor, however the way he goes about it might put us all in danger.
6 years 7 months ago #6

Curry wrote: I hope people remember there is nothing free......not even shipping. Wal Mart doesn't get it free and you can bet they're not going to eat the cost themselves.

Right, it is embedded in the purchase price of the product.
6 years 11 months ago #7

Replied by Curry on topic Global Recession

I hope people remember there is nothing free......not even shipping. Wal Mart doesn't get it free and you can bet they're not going to eat the cost themselves.
6 years 11 months ago #8

Replied by Wanderer on topic Global Recession

As a follow on this ... Walmart pulled out all the stops and jumped in with the hook "free shipping." It will be interesting as you say "companies could still create online commerce."
7 years 15 hours ago #9

with ecommerce, there is limited barriers to entry so while Amazon does have scale, there can still be companies who create online commerce businesses and can compete with Amazon.
7 years 17 hours ago #10

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Global Recession

With the amount of online commerce, I don't see Amazon having a problem with being a monopoly. These chains may be closing brick and mortar stores, but they still have their online sales. And then there are stores like Walmart, Lowes, and Kohl's that are showing no signs of slowing down in their physical places of business.
7 years 6 days ago #11

Replied by Goldbug on topic Global Recession

Moneyes wrote: That would make Amazon happy......and E-Bay......and all the other one's. People need to take a breath and remember that a recession does not have a negative impact on every single sector of the market. That's what a depression does. The are parts of the market that will continue to do well and even better if they can pick up the customers other failing retailers lose.

I don't think Amazon would like it much because if they get too much of the market, the Monopolies rules will kick in. If they're the only provider they can be forced to split for consumer protection.
7 years 6 days ago #12

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Global Recession

I heard the other day that Penney's is closing something like 140 stores this year. The malls in my area have been like ghost towns for years. I think everything online is where we're headed and it wouldn't surprise if large malls with 100 stores are a thing of the past ten years from now.
7 years 1 week ago #13

Replied by Moneyes on topic Global Recession

That would make Amazon happy......and E-Bay......and all the other one's. People need to take a breath and remember that a recession does not have a negative impact on every single sector of the market. That's what a depression does. The are parts of the market that will continue to do well and even better if they can pick up the customers other failing retailers lose.
7 years 1 week ago #14

Replied by Wanderer on topic Global Recession

Interesting comments. Following on your points ... I have never seen so many eateries branded and nonbranded along with big box and one of a kind retail establishments go away. While I have no doubt retail grossly over built the retrenchment is so harsh, fast and forever. Sears, KMart, Radio Shack, JC Penney, Macys is struggling, Kohls is loosing ground, and many Sporting Goods chains. And to continue on the doomsday beat Best Buy has had swings in their profitability along with Target Stores. Where does it end. Everything on the web?
7 years 1 week ago #15