How Someone Stole My Money

Replied by FrankN on topic How Someone Stole My Money

We are in a new age for sure. My friend who is very into cryptocurrency just had over $1,000 stolen from him online. He has yet to find out if where he was storing the currency online was a fraud or if he was hacked. I am sure there are tons of stories like this as well.
6 years 1 day ago #1

That is good advice Pinky, thanks for sharing!
6 years 4 months ago #2

Replied by JacksonM on topic How Someone Stole My Money

Pinky wrote: Keep your check box and old IDs in a safe or lock box just to be sure.

Good advice, Pinky. My grandfather recommended I purchase a locking firebox to store my checkbooks and important papers. Even though it keeps everything together, it's one of those things you'd have to know is there to find it.
6 years 4 months ago #3

Moneyes wrote: Me neither. Five days ago I saw a transaction in my checking account that I didn't do. It was in a state I have never been in, and they used info. from my bank debit card to make the transaction go through the bank account itself wirelessly. All the while they never had my debit card in their possession. I filed a claim with my bank, updated certain security measures and will be certain to get that money refunded by the end of next week.

There is more I'm going to do, but this isn't the place to talk about that.

I am glad to hear you are going to get refunded. I have heard getting refund back on fraud with debit cards can be very difficult b/c the money is out the door. Glad you had a good resolution.
6 years 5 months ago #4

Replied by Moneyes on topic How Someone Stole My Money

Me neither. Five days ago I saw a transaction in my checking account that I didn't do. It was in a state I have never been in, and they used info. from my bank debit card to make the transaction go through the bank account itself wirelessly. All the while they never had my debit card in their possession. I filed a claim with my bank, updated certain security measures and will be certain to get that money refunded by the end of next week.

There is more I'm going to do, but this isn't the place to talk about that.
6 years 5 months ago #5

Replied by JGibbs on topic How Someone Stole My Money

Pinky that is terrible, especially since you were trying to do something nice by letting the friend stay. It's amazing how technology has changed ID theft, both for good and bad. Today your friend would likely have gotten caught and you would've been notified in minutes if you signed up for account notifications. Of course, it's also easier to steal than ever thanks to computers and the internet. There are no real physical boundaries in place anymore, so the crook can steal from anyone, in any country. It's also easier for them to cover their tracks. So, maybe it's easier to get robbed, but you'll find out quicker which means you can lessen the damage.

That doesn't make me feel better...
6 years 8 months ago #6

Lexie wrote: You were wise to check that bank account every day Pinky. You must have suspected something. My son was married to a woman that drained him dry and tried to do the same to us. She wasn't sneaky. She just lied about everything. Glad you got your money back.

Sorry to hear that about your son. Terrible situation.
6 years 8 months ago #7

Replied by Lexie on topic How Someone Stole My Money

He kicked her to the curb centsiblesaver. Actually she left when we told her since she was living out of our pockets we were taking over the finances. That infuriated her. She called me a few choice names that I won't print, and left my house never to return. My son is now on a better financial road. :)
6 years 8 months ago #8

Replied by CentsibleSaver on topic How Someone Stole My Money

Now see, that's what keeps me up at night. Brrrr. I hate that happened to you both, Pinky and Joker! I would be absolutely furious! I can't believe nothing happened to the perpetrator. That's just awful! About how long did it take you to recover?

Lexie, I'm sorry to hear that your son was drained too. It's a shame that those close to us will mistreat our finances in such a manner. I hope his wife turned things around or he kicked her to the curb.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by CentsibleSaver.
6 years 8 months ago #9
  • Pinky
  • Pinky's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Pinky on topic How Someone Stole My Money

No problem Joker, I know that there are many stories like ours out there. Of course, sometimes they do catch the people responsible but I believe that it is in the minority, if at all. No one was caught in my case either. It's amazing that you can provide everything and there can even be a video (at the bank), but no arrest. Really aggravated me!
6 years 8 months ago #10

Replied by Joker on topic How Someone Stole My Money

Sorry about that, I neglected to say that the same thing happened to me and they never did catch my perpetrator. Sorry Pinky for stepping on your story but this was so similar to my story that I just couldn't wait to say that there were no criminals caught even with all the information I gave the cops.
6 years 8 months ago #11

Replied by Joker on topic How Someone Stole My Money

No, they never caught her. I gave them all the information I had and she had been in jail before but they never did arrest her for what she did to me. There might have been other arrests but I was never informed.
6 years 8 months ago #12

Replied by Lexie on topic How Someone Stole My Money

You were wise to check that bank account every day Pinky. You must have suspected something. My son was married to a woman that drained him dry and tried to do the same to us. She wasn't sneaky. She just lied about everything. Glad you got your money back.
6 years 8 months ago #13

Pinky wrote: Around 1999 I had a friend that needed a place to stay and my daughter and I were living alone. This person was very sneaky. She took a checkbook from the bottom of the box and an old expired ID I had in my drawer. She went to the drive-through and this was a bank that I used practically every day. They let a $400 check go through my account. Luckily, I checked my bank account online practically every day and I saw it the same day. The bank refunded my money since they were at fault for not checking more carefully. Keep your check box and old IDs in a safe or lock box just to be sure.

Glad you were able to get the refund! Did the person get caught?
6 years 8 months ago #14
  • Pinky
  • Pinky's Avatar Topic Author

How Someone Stole My Money was created by Pinky

Around 1999 I had a friend that needed a place to stay and my daughter and I were living alone. This person was very sneaky. She took a checkbook from the bottom of the box and an old expired ID I had in my drawer. She went to the drive-through and this was a bank that I used practically every day. They let a $400 check go through my account. Luckily, I checked my bank account online practically every day and I saw it the same day. The bank refunded my money since they were at fault for not checking more carefully. Keep your check box and old IDs in a safe or lock box just to be sure.
6 years 8 months ago #15