Unemployment Falls to 9.7% in January

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Unemployment Falls to 9.7% in January

I also saw on the news where they were not for sure if the drop was due to individuals giving up, or went out on feet searching on their own. My husband was just at the unemployment (One Stop Career Center) last week, and his former boss called him back to work. Does this count toward the "Fall"? Also, his second job called him back two days later.

Hate to rant about this but my x brother-n-law, who became unemployed a while back, went back to his x-spoon-fed girlfriend in order to make a living. He no longer deals with the One stop Career Center anymore, and he is about to exhaust his funds. [B

I wonder how many other jobless individuals encountered the same scenario.[/B]]

Too many to count, unfortunately.

There's a good reason why people with jobs should not take them for granted when there are many unemployed people who need jobs to support their families.
14 years 1 month ago #1

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Unemployment Falls to 9.7% in January

I also saw on the news where they were not for sure if the drop was due to individuals giving up, or went out on feet searching on their own. My husband was just at the unemployment (One Stop Career Center) last week, and his former boss called him back to work. Does this count toward the "Fall"? Also, his second job called him back two days later.

Hate to rant about this but my x brother-n-law, who became unemployed a while back, went back to his x-spoon-fed girlfriend in order to make a living. He no longer deals with the One stop Career Center anymore, and he is about to exhaust his funds. I wonder how many other jobless individuals encountered the same scenario.:worried:
14 years 1 month ago #2

Replied by cce on topic Re: Unemployment Falls to 9.7% in January

I agree, with you Wanderer. I'm sure most people don't see that rate and say shew, I'm glad it's all getting better. If you watched the stock market today, it was zig-zag nearly all day. One of the craziest days that I've seen.

I think Peter Schiff (the economic bear) says it's really around 20% if you don't play games with the numbers. :shocked:
14 years 1 month ago #3

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Unemployment Falls to 9.7% in January

Unemployment Falls - hmm... how many workers dropped out of the labor market counts or just stopped looking. Where are the new/replacement jobs and what are the job types? In Minnesota one of the University's is talking about dropping Computer Science as a four year degree. Now if you look at the Bureau of Labor Statistics Forecast for jobs out through 2025 and beyond one of the few well paid bright spots is the area involving computers from networking, hardware, software, security and the like. Frankly, I am NOT buying all the Washington blow smoke happiness. I am a victim (legally?) of right sizing (older worker) and my employer made me an offer I couldn't refuse (or could I and just get eliminated with nothing?). Food for thought! I have been in politics and government for a long time (over 35 years) involved in economic development and developing jobs and I don't buy all this happiness! :sleepy:
14 years 1 month ago #4
  • marylan73
  • marylan73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher