Obama: Tax Cuts and the Federal Deficit

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Obama: Tax Cuts and the Federal Deficit

Friday the 13th, oh boy, let's hope the superstition day un-cast the economic spell and a give us a sprinkle of hope....lol.

Hey, now check this out. The deficit bill signed by our "GOVERNOT"
15 years 2 months ago #1
  • marylan73
  • marylan73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Replied by marylan73 on topic Re: Obama: Tax Cuts and the Federal Deficit

Mary, yes this is something that we could probably avoid having right now because we will have the pay for it the end. But in all respect, 65 dollars a month (although a tiny amount), is at least something to bring americans views on the economy back up.

And I think more importantly, this is the 1st president in a long time that is doing exactly what he said he was going to do in his campaign. Although it's a small start to the many problems America is facing at the present time, we can all be somewhat releaved that President Obama's campaign was not all talk. He is doing exactly what he told Americans he would do and that's a lot more than I can say for a lot of presidents before him and possibly a lot more after.

Just my opinion on the topic....

Obama came into the presidency with a horrible mess waiting for him and I do believe he's doing as much as possible to solve the crisis. He's a smart man with good ideas and has kept true to his word. I know that $65 is a big deal to many families, and it's enough to pay a bill or two each month. It'll just take time to see the effect that all these steps will make - all we can do is wait and see.

Mary Lan Tomkins
15 years 2 months ago #2
  • marylan73
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

That is a very good point, something that I can NOT argue with. Now quote me if I am wrong about the article, I assumed that the article was a full story of the press. If so, when I mentioned "Criticizing Points" I was assuming this was from a broad perspective (of citizens). I did not know that they were your words because if they were, I will have to take back what I said because that is like saying I am criticizing your free speech. I then would agree or not agree. My apologies, please accept

No apologies needed, Meya. We all have the right to say what's on our mind. The information in the article was straight from the White House, except for my two cents about what $65 will get for the average American.

I think many of us are hopeful that the stimulus package will work, many of us are doubtful that it will work, and all of us are just plain pissed off that it ever got to this point to begin with. Complaining about the situation won't fix anything, but at least it lets us vent a little. I hope Obama can do it, because we're in big trouble otherwise.

I couldn't help mentioning the April Fool's Day thing, but did you also notice that Congress passed the stimulus bill on Friday the 13th? I'm not superstitious, but it's funny stuff for those of us with a weird sense of humor.

Mary Lan Tomkins
15 years 2 months ago #3

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Obama: Tax Cuts and the Federal Deficit

I agree with both of you on your points.

Mary, yes this is something that we could probably avoid having right now because we will have the pay for it the end. But in all respect, 65 dollars a month (although a tiny amount), is at least something to bring americans views on the economy back up.

And I think more importantly, this is the 1st president in a long time that is doing exactly what he said he was going to do in his campaign. Although it's a small start to the many problems America is facing at the present time, we can all be somewhat releaved that President Obama's campaign was not all talk. He is doing exactly what he told Americans he would do and that's a lot more than I can say for a lot of presidents before him and possibly a lot more after.

Just my opinion on the topic....
15 years 2 months ago #4

I just don't believe that $65 a month is worth the cost to taxpayers for what little it will do for the economy. We may be getting a break now, but we'll be paying for it later - they're going to have to pay down the deficit somehow.

Mary Lan Tomkins

That is a very good point, something that I can NOT argue with. Now quote me if I am wrong about the article, I assumed that the article was a full story of the press. If so, when I mentioned "Criticizing Points" I was assuming this was from a broad perspective (of citizens). I did not know that they were your words because if they were, I will have to take back what I said because that is like saying I am criticizing your free speech. I then would agree or not agree. My apologies, please accept!:shocked:

I know we are all messed up, seems like the only one who recognize it is the president and citizens. Banks are the main ones that are ticking me off. I have never been so roared-up over a bank until I am reading, from others, how they were treated with their credit. Banks know what is going on and they are steady broadcasting how they are in dire need of bail-out. But my thing is, why destroy your customer credit? Lowering their limits, raising Apr's, closing accts, and hiking up nearly every item on the cc contract. This makes other creditors feel like they (the consumer) are maxing out their limits, and fear that they (the other bank) is going to be next. So in return, the next creditor begins to lower their limits and hike fees. This is what really ticks me off. Don't make us look bad because your business took a hit. What about the consumers life, we are messed up too, but we (those who struggle to pay) do our darnest to make sure that we pay them back. Honoring a debt during hardship is a true dedication and it shows positive responsibilities.

As far as the stim-package, it is stressful to have to borrow money to give up some type of relief to Americans, but what will it secure when this happens again? It is going to happen again, wait and see. No offense to green activist, but I think it will cost less if we cut some trees and make the money and stop BBQ'n the old. I am pretty sure an activist will agree if they got a letter from the bank or government stating "You got 30 days to vacate your home, or pay up $5k per month (or more)." Or, "Here is your pink slip and the unemployment waiting line is 3 miles long!" This may seem crazy to some, but it is just my opinion.:innocent:
15 years 2 months ago #5
  • marylan73
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Hi Meya,

I always enjoy reading your comments. But to answer your question - no, I certainly didn't expect to buy a new car or make a down payment on a house with a tax savings of $65 a month.

Just like millions of other Americans, I'm still current on my mortgage for a home that's lost plenty of value, I drive an old car with lots of miles on it so I don't have to make a car payment, and I carefully spend what I earn and save what I can.

I just don't believe that $65 a month is worth the cost to taxpayers for what little it will do for the economy. We may be getting a break now, but we'll be paying for it later - they're going to have to pay down the deficit somehow.

Mary Lan Tomkins
15 years 2 months ago #6

Hummm, such criticizing points. I mean, come on, what do they expect the tax cut to be? Enough to purchase a new car? Or maybe to be able to save enough to purchase a house. It has to start from some where. I believe patience is all that we have so, we are going to have to utilize that for some type of comfort. Personally, I don't think we will ever get back the way we were because prices will always increase, and our bills do not cut us a break. Its a good feeling to know that there is someone who stepped forward to try and push that big ball back up the hill before it hit rock bottom. Rather if it is $65 a month or $35 per month, this is something that past presidents did not do. It is hard for this one individual to recover something he is not to blame for. I will wait and see what happens (If I am still alive). If we pull out, thank God, if we don't, all I can say is that I am picking up the pieces and moving forward with what I already have.
15 years 2 months ago #7
  • marylan73
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher