Treasury to Improve Transparancy and Accountability on TARP Funds

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Treasury to Improve Transparancy and Accountability on TARP Funds

Don't forget Toyota. Toyota also has a plant in Alabama where they manufacture the new Toyota Tundra.
15 years 2 months ago #1

Replied by interjack on topic Re: Treasury to Improve Transparancy and Accountability on TARP Funds

And meanwhile, GM collects 8 billion dollars of that money and not more than a month later there letting go of 2000 plant workers (who also happen to be union members as well).

The US auto industry is a failing industry in so much as that it cannot keep up with the innovation, quality, and performance of other car manufacturers. Time and time again they are bailed out and time and time again they look to get help from the government coffers. We keep rewarding a failing industry.

I understand that the auto industry accounts for many jobs in the US. I understand that if they were to fail many would loose their jobs. I am not saying that they shouldn't be helped out. My argument is that the government should ensure that the automakers are making quality vehicles that are fuel efficient and comparable to foreign cars.

Cheap labor does not contribute to the price of foreign cars in the same way that cheap labor affects other goods.

Alabama is home to manufacturers such as Mercedes-Benz and Honda where US citizens manufacture foreign cars.

Why can't GM/Chrysler/Ford learn something?
15 years 2 months ago #2

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Treasury to Improve Transparancy and Accountability on TARP Funds

It's really a shame, but true. Those with good credit will be the most effected by all this. To pay all your things on time for years and than suddenly because there was a small drop in your score, your CL or card is slashed, that's a tough position to be in.
15 years 2 months ago #3

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Treasury to Improve Transparancy and Accountability on TARP Funds

There will always be options for consumers that don't have good credit as long as they are willing to pay the fees and high interest, unfortunately.
15 years 2 months ago #4

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Re: Treasury to Improve Transparancy and Accountability on TARP Funds

This will one day pass, the question is when. To me it seems that the whole world is preparing for a long road to recovery. When I hear 6 months almost everyday, of course I keep my fingers crossed, but I think that is ridiculous and naive to think that. Yes, we can be hopeful, but we also need to be ready for whatever comes our way, and that means trying to hold on to what you have and making smart and well thought out decisions on future commitments and opportunities. However, keeping the credit you have and maintaining / building a better credit record will be ever so important. I talked to some people in the credit card industry last week, and their thoughts are that people without good credit will be hurt the worst, and it will take a very long time to establish trust. "Trust" is a funny word... :shocked:
15 years 2 months ago #5

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Treasury to Improve Transparancy and Accountability on TARP Funds

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I think all of this is a little to late. The damage has been, and some of it is irreparable (can't be fixed). At any rate, banks continue to treat current customers badly by decreasing credit lines, raising apr's, you name it. None of these tactics are going to make people start spending. Most people just don't have any extra money and if you are lucky enough to have extra, most likely, you're using it to payoff debts, instead of accumulating more.

I don't think your being pessimistic at all and I agree too that the damage is done. But I also believe that what goes down will eventually go back up (it just might take a little longer than we would all like lol).
15 years 2 months ago #6

I totally agree with Charonh!
15 years 2 months ago #7

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Treasury to Improve Transparancy and Accountability on TARP Funds

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I think all of this is a little to late. The damage has been, and some of it is irreparable (can't be fixed). At any rate, banks continue to treat current customers badly by decreasing credit lines, raising apr's, you name it. None of these tactics are going to make people start spending. Most people just don't have any extra money and if you are lucky enough to have extra, most likely, you're using it to payoff debts, instead of accumulating more.
15 years 2 months ago #8

And meanwhile, GM collects 8 billion dollars of that money and not more than a month later there letting go of 2000 plant workers (who also happen to be union members as well).
15 years 2 months ago #9

Yet we still see CLD's for no apparent reasons.
15 years 2 months ago #10
  • marylan73
  • marylan73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher