President Obama Inaugurated Today

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: President Obama Inaugurated Today

WOW! All 3 of you argued such valid points, I don't even know who to quote on! LOL!!

I was totally on the Obama-Rama team during the election process, because I felt that he was the best candidate for office. I do work in an industry that is very pro-republican (which made it difficult for me to discuss my political views with coworkers) but I always felt that he was the only candidate that was completely stating the problems this country faced along with his plan on how to correct them (plus Palin didn't even know where Russia was in comparison to Alaska lol).

But, I will agree that this term for him is going to be a highly speculated one with a huge emphasis on his 1st 100 days in office (since that will be the determinant factor on the delivery of his promises during the election process).

We all have to agree that tough times are amongst us now (I can't believe I just heard on the news that after getting a 13 billion dollar bail-out, GM is letting go over 2,000 employees), and we do need some sort of reform to fix what's going on in our front yards. I myself can only pray that the decision I made on election day will work out in the end or I can see one of the most properuous countries seeing some very tough ongoing economic issues.
15 years 2 months ago #16

Replied by charonh on topic Re: President Obama Inaugurated Today

charonh,

I have to respectively disagree. Although your right and Obama is the exception to the rule and the Political arena is a tough struggle to succeed anyway, can't society now say "This African American has numerous obstacles in his way but still had to the fortitude to keep going and meet his objective ?" "If he can do it, why not you?"

I'm sure you know the background, father left the household, raised by his Grandmother, graduated Harvard then went back into the "hood" to help people less fortunate so they could get ahead. Then he decides to run for what is the most difficult position there is.

I'm African American too Charonh and I think that society will always use this scenario to say that the playing field has been "leveled" and that if this man can attain the highest office in the land what stops the janitor from becoming a CEO, the bus driver from becoming CFO of Delta, the programmer from being CIO of Oracle?

If Obama can do it, well young Black/Hispanic/Native American/Eskimo/ you can do it too ! so will say society

But you're also forgetting one important point that I mentioned earlier, his success hasn't been determined, yet. He just took office and like I said, if his policies fail and the nation ends up in a worse off position four years from now (don't know how), it will be said, you see what happened under your first African American president. I still think its still too early to decide. Besides, I don't play the race card, but the fact is, race is very important in this country and racism does exist, I witness it all of the time, but I don't let it get to me. Also, he's not the only smart African American that's interested in politics, why then is/was he the only black senator? He isn't the first African American to graduate from Harvard. Even so, if you were to look closely into his background, it isn't typical of most blacks (myself being one). If its not so important, why was it even brought up in this thread about his inauguration? What does his color have to do with the event? You see how race becomes an issue even when it shouldn't.
15 years 2 months ago #17

Replied by Meya on topic Re: President Obama Inaugurated Today

Guess what? I finally got my 1/20/2009 pics from the inauguration from my cousin. He told me it was cold, but after looking at his face, I don't think I could have tolerated the weather. He said it was all worth it, but I well get a headache in cold weather. I know I live in San Francisco, but being anemic is a horrible feeling. I am going to make one of the pics as my avatar:fun:
15 years 2 months ago #18

Good points you two!

But can I add that, what one person succeed in, it does not mean that another one will do it also. Because Obama succeeded in the White House (or highest ranking employment) we have to realize why many others could not do it. The doors were open for Obama because he had a darn good political track record to crack the ceiling. He stood a chance because republicans and democrats were misled too many times by our past presidents. Anyone can become what ever they desire but they have to realize that not only do we have to struggle to qualify ourselves to meet certain qualifications, we must then learn the golden rule, we have to prepare to accept rejections, and fight harder to sell our achievements. Smcc, I can hear where you are coming from, but I think you are focusing too hard on one person. One can argue that same idea you gave charon, take a good look Oprah's background, why are you not like her? Everyone's gift, talent, or profile, is not in the same direction.
:worried:

Just because Obama made election, it does not mean that affirmative action should be taken away, and it definitely does mean that we (minorities) is now in the clear from selfish haters and mis-judger's. I tell my children that they can be whatever their soul desires, but it is one thing to remember, one African American does not erase what billions of others still do not follow, and that is equality and justice for every one. That janitor can be a CEO, but is he willing to do what it takes to be that CEO. It takes money to claim these types of levels, and there are some business who still do not accept women or minorities to enter past the "glass ceiling" of their company.

Obama is not the only great leader of all times, though he was the first to be offered the highest ranking position in America. What about Marcus Garvey, Amy Jargues Garvey, Frederick Douglas, or Martin Luther King Jr? Did their recognition enable the same equality for others? If Martin Luther King Jr. paved the way for all others to receive the same equal doctrine, why have this yet to be 100% completed? It is not complete now that Obama has been inaugurated, and do not even look for him to do it. When everyone open up their eyes and realize that, we Americans, are of one great nation, and the only way we can make a "change" for better, is to realize that, "In order for us to get something we never had before, we are going to have to do something we have never done before."
15 years 2 months ago #19

Replied by smcc on topic Re: President Obama Inaugurated Today

charonh,

I have to respectively disagree. Although your right and Obama is the exception to the rule and the Political arena is a tough struggle to succeed anyway, can't society now say "This African American has numerous obstacles in his way but still had to the fortitude to keep going and meet his objective ?" "If he can do it, why not you?"

I'm sure you know the background, father left the household, raised by his Grandmother, graduated Harvard then went back into the "hood" to help people less fortunate so they could get ahead. Then he decides to run for what is the most difficult position there is.

I'm African American too Charonh and I think that society will always use this scenario to say that the playing field has been "leveled" and that if this man can attain the highest office in the land what stops the janitor from becoming a CEO, the bus driver from becoming CFO of Delta, the programmer from being CIO of Oracle?

If Obama can do it, well young Black/Hispanic/Native American/Eskimo/ you can do it too ! so will say society
15 years 2 months ago #20

Replied by charonh on topic Re: President Obama Inaugurated Today

I'm sure Meya that a segment of the African American community is happy that a Black Man has risen to the highest political office in the nation. For those that feel this way here is a question, Now that a African American is President do we still need "Affirmitive Action?"

For me the color of his skin is irrelevent. The question is can he get the job done ? The only difference between the start of his administration and FDR's first term is that there were no wars going on during the first part of the Great Depression. We aren't at 25% unemployment like in 1933 but then again unless your 75 or older you, I, or anyone else have never lived through such an ordeal.

Society will watch his first 100 days and see how much he and congress will come together to start to turn this country around. So many people unemployed, nearing the ending of their unemployment insurance, with no job prospects on the horizon are looking to this man to give them hope that better days are ahead.

Let us all put down our differences when it comes to color/race/ethnic background and come together to solve the problems in front of us because if we don't do it together it won't get done !

Smcc, the reason affirmative action is still needed is because not everyone shares your point of view, in fact, I doubt if 65% of the American population does. However, affirmative action has been less than successful by any measure either. I don't know if I'm for it or against it, but I do understand why it was needed. Also, keep in mind, Obama is the exception, not the norm and look what he had to go through, it was not easy. We are still in the beginning stages, therefore I think it is too early for me to speak on it or him just yet! He will set the precedent of whether another person of color will be given the same opportunity in the future. Unfortunately, his success or failure will be the deciding factor for anyone else of color that may choose to follow in his footsteps. He has a heavy burden upon his shoulders and I hope for his and everyone of colors' sake, he succeeds.
15 years 3 months ago #21

Nice and very understanding! Believe it or not, but in my Public Administration class, we were discussing the ban of affirmative action and each student had to share his or her thoughts. My opinion was if everyone (mainly businesses) would participate in maximizing benefits of diversity to all levels of society, then yes I would say ban it, but affirmative action speaks in many different was, not just through race. Some people, and business's judge others by the group of which they belong to (like Amex)instead of their qualifications. What happens then? Affirmative action will uphold that individual based on this very incident. I was sort of tongue twisted on this one because there are many different ways to that affirmative action can be of good use.

One African American, such as Barack or any other great African American leader, does not clear the unethical or unjust practices of others. I do believe that one day Affirmative action will soon go into non existence when humans realize that all humans deserve equal rights, respect, and justice. If the "Separate but equal doctrine" was eliminated, and everyone had no choice but to get used to it, I feel that affirmative action will soon come to a dead in. I just believe that affirmative action is still around to punish those who continue to use hatred or mis-judgments among others, just because.

I believe that our last president not only mis-used the power he had over many, but he also lacked the "law of equal liberty" which basically means that, if any organizational allocation of resources that can at least make one person better off without making any other person worse off achieves. :upset:

To wrap it up and another thought, I have noticed over the course of years that many businesses are adding to their job applications and mission statement to encourage the minority to apply. But the only thing that bothers me is how many actually follow through with it? I do remember researching about a company (I would have to go back on my homework assignment to find it) who actually downsized his high level employees for the minority individuals because he noticed that they were the ones who kept his company up and running. He was astonished to actually review the lost he accrued from keeping his high level employees, when the minority employees gave better suggestions, sales, invented new ideas that was in favor of the company...etc. I mean he really spoke positive about this story. When I find which class that was, I will put it right in here.
15 years 3 months ago #22

Replied by smcc on topic Re: President Obama Inaugurated Today

I'm sure Meya that a segment of the African American community is happy that a Black Man has risen to the highest political office in the nation. For those that feel this way here is a question, Now that a African American is President do we still need "Affirmitive Action?"

For me the color of his skin is irrelevent. The question is can he get the job done ? The only difference between the start of his administration and FDR's first term is that there were no wars going on during the first part of the Great Depression. We aren't at 25% unemployment like in 1933 but then again unless your 75 or older you, I, or anyone else have never lived through such an ordeal.

Society will watch his first 100 days and see how much he and congress will come together to start to turn this country around. So many people unemployed, nearing the ending of their unemployment insurance, with no job prospects on the horizon are looking to this man to give them hope that better days are ahead.

Let us all put down our differences when it comes to color/race/ethnic background and come together to solve the problems in front of us because if we don't do it together it won't get done !
15 years 3 months ago #23

And I loved every minute of it. The speech was powerful and I am just waiting for my cousin to send me copy of his pics so I can use them for my avatar. I am just curious about one thing, are African Americans happy and proud of Barack being our president because of his nationality and history? Or are we happy because of the knowledge, power, faith, political skills, and history that he possess? I face this everyday in my neighborhood along with the media, I just wanted to know others feelings.

The economy and the commas above is my main reason, and being alive to witness an African American president is wonderful to see. Making a change from what we are dealing with now is what I am dying to agree with and I am willing to do the best that I can to help fulfill our new president suggestions.

Before I go any further, this is not a criticism nor racism thought and I will hope there will be no such replies toward it. Let's all follow the rules before we post.
15 years 3 months ago #24
  • marylan73
  • marylan73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher