Weatherization Assistance for Low-Income Households

Replied by Curry on topic Re: Weatherization Assistance for Low-Income Households

Since the link is no longer active, every state probably has a program such as this. Any Department of Economic Security office in any given state should have the information.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Curry.
7 years 10 months ago #1

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Weatherization Assistance for Low-Income Households

Great article. I know a few people in my neighborhood who have taken advantage of this great service. They ended up getting the doors on their house replaced, their windows sealed, and their attic insulated. It's definitely worth looking into because on average it saves about 20% a year on your home-energy consumption.
8 years 3 months ago #2

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Weatherization Assistance for Low-Income Households

Thought this was a good thread to update since winter is right around the corner.
14 years 5 months ago #3

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Weatherization Assistance for Low-Income Households

Exactly!:white-flag:
15 years 6 months ago #4
  • marylan73
  • marylan73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Replied by marylan73 on topic Re: Weatherization Assistance for Low-Income Households

My pleasure, Meya. I'm glad your mom was able to benefit from the program - nobody should have to suffer in a cold and drafty house.
15 years 6 months ago #5

This is a great article Mary. Why I could not think of this? I guess I will have to ask you :fun:

Hey everyone, this is a true article. My mom receives disability, and last year, pge was out knocking on everyone's doors for this same procedure. My mother called my house and asked me to be there for her apt because she was afraid for someone to be in her house while she is alone. I went out there and this is the way it went:

1. We had her proof of income from social security, and a letter from the landlord authorizing their services (which is all he asked for). He is so cheap, that is why he was happy to sign it.

2. They went around the house to make observations of what they knew she qualified for and then gave us a date that someone will return to perform the work.

3. Her front and back doors were completely weather striped, and the windows also received strips.

4. It gets good here, she received a new refrigerator because hers was on the old side ( I think 11 years), new stove, and guess what else, she received a new hot water heater and they insulated it.

All of this was done for free. She did not have to pay a dime for this. If any of you have family members that qualify, or if you qualify, please take advantage of this right away. I know that we all have some moms, pops, granny's, grandpa's, Uncle Joe's and Aunt Flo's that are set in their own ways, but this will help them on their utilities and keep their house warm when it is cold and cool when it is warm. Do not take NO for an answer from them, even if you have to take off from work that day, it is well worth it.

I love you for this Mary, it is a lovely article!
15 years 6 months ago #6
  • marylan73
  • marylan73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher