Card Designs

• ColoNative
  • ColoNative's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Card Designs

It's funny now that I have my Blue Cash I am not using the Zync much at all. I miss using it because it was much more appealing (and people were wowed)... but I'd rather use my Blue Cash. With the Zync being a charge card I always had this unwelcoming feeling in my stomach of not being able to pay if off that month. So that's primarily why I like using my Blue Cash more. I can't wait to see how much the cash back rebate will be after one month, then I can really see which has the best rewards in my situation.

I know, I kind of like that Zync. They have been showing it as pre-approved for me (along with Platinum and Gold) when I log into my Blue account. Even though I am past their demographic, it is the only charge card I would consider because the annual fee is minimal. Like you though, I prefer a cash reward as opposed to points. So I am all about the Citibank Dividend or my Discover.
13 years 2 months ago #31
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

Colonative, I received a memo several months ago from Chase stating that they are testing the vertical design to mimick the U.K. card "norms". I wondered like you, why test it without an option to have the normal look of a card? Why not have a survey first?

Yeah, Chase is special. They are trying very hard to be different but this vertical card is just awful. I am still not sure if I will keep it. This isn't the first time they issued an ugly replacement card. My original Chase Platinum from 2001 was gorgeous LOL then it expired and they issued me this like gray translucent card with icons on the side like a handshake, dollar sign and an airplane. I called to complain about that card, yup, Im one of those people. Then they issued a normal looking one with Blink and now this hideous thing. I can barely stand Chase since they merged with Bank One in 2004 and this Slate vertical card has First USA written all over it. The thing is, I hate to close it since it turns 10 in September and it reports a $10K credit line....closing it would hurt. I guess it will just be sock drawered and used for online mercy purchases......

Well maybe if people like me (be nice) complain enough about the design, they will change it.....maybe...
13 years 2 months ago #32

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Card Designs

I would have to agree with the exception of the Blue/Clear cards. I can't stand clear cards and it is weird how big Amex is on Member Since dates yet the Blue card doesn't have it. Anything is better than Chase Slate though!

It's funny now that I have my Blue Cash I am not using the Zync much at all. I miss using it because it was much more appealing (and people were wowed)... but I'd rather use my Blue Cash. With the Zync being a charge card I always had this unwelcoming feeling in my stomach of not being able to pay if off that month. So that's primarily why I like using my Blue Cash more. I can't wait to see how much the cash back rebate will be after one month, then I can really see which has the best rewards in my situation.
13 years 2 months ago #33

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Re: Card Designs

Colonative, I received a memo several months ago from Chase stating that they are testing the vertical design to mimick the U.K. card "norms". I wondered like you, why test it without an option to have the normal look of a card? Why not have a survey first? :embarrassed:
13 years 2 months ago #34
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

I like the American Express Zync, Blue Cash, and Costco AMEX.

I would have to agree with the exception of the Blue/Clear cards. I can't stand clear cards and it is weird how big Amex is on Member Since dates yet the Blue card doesn't have it. Anything is better than Chase Slate though!
13 years 2 months ago #35

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Card Designs

I like the American Express Zync, Blue Cash, and Costco AMEX. :cool:
13 years 2 months ago #36
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

was created by ColoNative

I have to admit, a card design to me is very important. It should be classy and appealing without trying too hard. For these reasons, I get a little nervous whenever a current card I like is set to expire because the replacement card is usually redesigned and usually not for the better.

Case in point: My Chase Platinum MasterCard is set to expire in March and I received the new card this weekend. Chase no longer issues the Platinum card and instead calls it "Slate" (pet peeve #1). If that weren't bad enough, the card is actually veritical instead of horizontal (pet peeve #2) and the account number/name are very small and only slightly embossed. My "Cardmember Since 2001" is also gone (pet peeve #3). Bascially, I think it is hideous. I do not understand why Chase is trying so hard to be different. I don't mind the holographic Visa and MasterCard logos they are using on their Signature/World cards, but this vertical Slate MasterCard is making me mad.

Most people wouldn't care about this sort of thing but it is bothering me. Anybody else hate the Slate card? Or any other card design?
13 years 2 months ago #37