Card Designs

• ColoNative
  • ColoNative's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Card Designs

Enough on this card! Do a product change to a Chase Freedom Card. Great benefits and lots of points or cash. Speaking as a holder of the Chase Freedom Card, no complaints. Harvest around $400 a year in cash. Can switch back and forth between cash or points depending on my needs (which are always cash since it has no blackout dates). Also, I do understand desiring a card that has a great look to it. The Freedom Card is good in looks considering the card market today. They talk about "rewards" vs "low interest" cards, the Chase Freedom Card is as competitive on Apr and AF as the no rewards cards. My rates are 12.24% purchase and 19.24% cash with NO AF. CL is $13.500. I like Bank of America's Credit Cards for looks but Chase has had the best product for me for years. Why the constant credit card product reconfigurations is beyond me? Marketing and sales!

I actually already have one. I finally gave into their 30+ pre-approvals for Freedom in November. It is a Visa Signature and I am pretty happy with it and I agree the rewards are not bad. Like I said, I wish their sign up was smarter...meaning, if I have already signed up for groceries, I wish they would stop reminding me LOL.

I didn't want to change my Slate MasterCard to Freedom for fear that they would want to make it a World MasterCard and change the account number. I have already had BofA and Nordstrom recently upgrade my accounts to Signature so I don't want any other banks to follow suit because I need those limits to report.

Again thanks everybody for the advice. I realize it seems dumb to most people about how a card looks-especially to those just thankful to have a card while rebuilding. FG, if you'd like to delete this thread I would not be upset at the least.
13 years 2 months ago #16

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Re: Card Designs

:cheesing: :fun:
13 years 2 months ago #17

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Card Designs

Yeah, Chase is special. They are trying very hard to be different but this vertical card is just awful. I am still not sure if I will keep it. This isn't the first time they issued an ugly replacement card. My original Chase Platinum from 2001 was gorgeous LOL then it expired and they issued me this like gray translucent card with icons on the side like a handshake, dollar sign and an airplane. I called to complain about that card, yup, Im one of those people. Then they issued a normal looking one with Blink and now this hideous thing. I can barely stand Chase since they merged with Bank One in 2004 and this Slate vertical card has First USA written all over it. The thing is, I hate to close it since it turns 10 in September and it reports a $10K credit line....closing it would hurt. I guess it will just be sock drawered and used for online mercy purchases......

Well maybe if people like me (be nice) complain enough about the design, they will change it.....maybe...

Enough on this card! Do a product change to a Chase Freedom Card. Great benefits and lots of points or cash. Speaking as a holder of the Chase Freedom Card, no complaints. Harvest around $400 a year in cash. Can switch back and forth between cash or points depending on my needs (which are always cash since it has no blackout dates). Also, I do understand desiring a card that has a great look to it. The Freedom Card is good in looks considering the card market today. They talk about "rewards" vs "low interest" cards, the Chase Freedom Card is as competitive on Apr and AF as the no rewards cards. My rates are 12.24% purchase and 19.24% cash with NO AF. CL is $13.500. I like Bank of America's Credit Cards for looks but Chase has had the best product for me for years. Why the constant credit card product reconfigurations is beyond me? Marketing and sales! :cc:
13 years 2 months ago #18

The customer service representative informed me that they can send me a horizontal Slate card instead. So I took them up on it.

Glad that worked out for you. I agree with you, it's something you might use on a regular basis, if it's an ugly card, wouldn't people (by instinct) use the one that looks prettier? :innocent:

Cards can be a headache enough as they already are, why add to it?
13 years 2 months ago #19
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

I've changed my Discover card to the bright orange because now I do not have to search for it in my wallet too which the color makes it stand out.
It kind of grew on me( the color) but there are tons of other designs I can choose from when I get bored with this one.

They do have some cool designs. I always liked the shamrock one :cool:
13 years 2 months ago #20
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

I kept it as a revolving account and just recently I requested a 500 cash reward check and it came today

That's awesome. I just wish their sign up was smarter. I hate how I sign up for the bonus cash and then a week later there is a pop up reminding me to sign up. So I think I've singed up for the groceries like 3 times.

Sorry to sound like a whiner, I will get off my soap box now, Chase isn't so bad.
13 years 2 months ago #21

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Card Designs

I've changed my Discover card to the bright orange because now I do not have to search for it in my wallet too which the color makes it stand out.
It kind of grew on me( the color) but there are tons of other designs I can choose from when I get bored with this one.
13 years 2 months ago #22
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

I can honestly care less about the card design as long as it has a low interest rate, large CL, and excellent customer service.

That is important too, but I think you'd agree the Slate card is ugly.
13 years 2 months ago #23

I can honestly care less about the card design as long as it has a low interest rate, large CL, and excellent customer service.

lmao:laugh:
13 years 2 months ago #24

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Card Designs

13 years 2 months ago #25

Thanks, Eugene it does help. I actually took FGs advice and I contacted Chase (via the secure web feature). The customer service representative informed me that they can send me a horizontal Slate card instead. So I took them up on it. Hopefully it will be normal looking. This way I get to keep my account number and reporting credit line while having the normal looking card.

I kept it as a revolving account and just recently I requested a 500 cash reward check and it came today:cheesing:
13 years 2 months ago #26
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

I changed my Platinum Visa(now Slate) to the Freedom card with no problems. The number changed but the history stayed if that help.

Thanks, Eugene it does help. I actually took FGs advice and I contacted Chase (via the secure web feature). The customer service representative informed me that they can send me a horizontal Slate card instead. So I took them up on it. Hopefully it will be normal looking. This way I get to keep my account number and reporting credit line while having the normal looking card. :white-flag:
Did they upgrade you to a Visa Signature when you changed to Freedom or did you get to keep it as a revolving credit line?
13 years 2 months ago #27

I'm not sure. I know Citibank refuses to change card types/programs. I have a healthy fear of the big banks these days and so I think it is best to not contact them unless you need to call the card lost/stolen or close it. Otherwise you risk having the account closed at their request or a credit line reduction.

Does anybody know if Chase will do a card conversion?

The thing is though, they basically only market the Freedom these days, and that would likely be a new account # and a World MasterCard without a reporting credit line. I guess I will have to just wait to see if they come to their senses and re-design it. Afterall, in the nearly 10 years Ive had the account, the card has been re-designed each time, so I guess the 5th card in 2014 could be better.....

I changed my Platinum Visa(now Slate) to the Freedom card with no problems. The number changed but the history stayed if that help.
13 years 2 months ago #28
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

Can you request to change card programs completely, but not actually cancel the account/card?

I'm not sure. I know Citibank refuses to change card types/programs. I have a healthy fear of the big banks these days and so I think it is best to not contact them unless you need to call the card lost/stolen or close it. Otherwise you risk having the account closed at their request or a credit line reduction.

Does anybody know if Chase will do a card conversion?

The thing is though, they basically only market the Freedom these days, and that would likely be a new account # and a World MasterCard without a reporting credit line. I guess I will have to just wait to see if they come to their senses and re-design it. Afterall, in the nearly 10 years Ive had the account, the card has been re-designed each time, so I guess the 5th card in 2014 could be better.....
13 years 2 months ago #29

Can you request to change card programs completely, but not actually cancel the account/card?
13 years 2 months ago #30