need someone's advice....

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: need someone's advice....

Yeh I want cash back preferably because I use credit cards for everything and then just pay it off at the end of the month. I know I have a short history that is the main reason why I wanted some advice on what I should do.

There are several cash back cards to choose from. BofA offers a few, Capital One, Discover and Citibank has brought back the Dividend card. But don't just look at the big banks. Check out some of the credit unions as well. Pentagon FCU and Navy FCU both offer cash back cards. You will likely get better rates and service from a credit union in the long run.

If you want to use your card for everything and pay it off a Visa or MasterCard will probably be the better choice. After my recent disgust with Citibank, I have sockdrawered my Dividend and have gone back to using my Discover. I have had to pull out my Visa at least three times this week to pay for somethign because Discover wasn't accepted. Not a huge deal but a pain nonetheless.
13 years 8 months ago #1

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: need someone's advice....

I have found that Discover More is only good for certian 5% cashback categories that you have to sign up for. If you spend a lot of money (groceries or travel). I will only use my Discover for certian 5% cashback categories or the ShopDiscover where you can get anywhere between 5% to 20% cashback. On the 5% cashback categories (that you have to sign up for) there is a a cap on how much cashback you can earn before you get back to earning just the regular rewards in that category. I would look at Amex Blue Cash since that is a really good cashback card.
13 years 8 months ago #2

Replied by smcc on topic Re: need someone's advice....

If Cash Back is your objective, their are many cards that fit your bill. As Cnative stated Visa is a good choice. Bank of America offers a Visa Signature Power Rewards Visa that has cash back options. American Express offers cash back cards also.

Look at the Issuer, i.e. BOA, Chase, Citi, Amex, etc, then look at the Cash Back cards that they offer. Every Cash Back card tries to be unique in its own way. Cnative, Wanderer, HJM331, Joeyman, etc. have cards that they prefer in this category ( cash back ) ; do your research and see which card bests suits your needs !
13 years 8 months ago #3
  • sanzoni
  • sanzoni's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by sanzoni on topic Re: need someone's advice....

Yeh I want cash back preferably because I use credit cards for everything and then just pay it off at the end of the month. I know I have a short history that is the main reason why I wanted some advice on what I should do.
13 years 8 months ago #4

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: need someone's advice....

Hey everyone. I just payed off the remaining balance of my credit cards so now my credit to debt ratio is 0%. All my scores are between 720-760. My oldest credit account is 2 years and 2 months old. The average age of my accounts is 1 year. My average household income is $90,000 a year. What credit card what I have the best chance of approval with. I was thinking between Chase Freedom or Discover More cards. Please give me some advice on what card to apply for and if you guys have any other card suggestions. Thank You

As SMCC asked, what are you hoping to accomplish with the card? I have been hearing that Chase Freedom has been getting rid of cash back (and they recently redesigned the card and it is ugly-if that is important to you). Discover has great customer service and are accepted in most places but the cash back is not so great unless you are a big, big spender.
If this is going to be your main card, you may want a Visa/MasterCard as they are accepted in more places. Keep in mind that a lot of reward cards, especially issued by Chase, are going to be a World MasterCard or Visa Signature and therefore, they will not report a credit line. The consensus is that any balance you owe on those cards will not be counted against you in your revolving debt (because they are Open (no preset spend limit). However, with such delicate credit, you may want a card that reports a credit line.
Good luck.
13 years 8 months ago #5

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: need someone's advice....

My opinion, what objectives do you have for this new card ? Are you looking for Cash back/rewards points/percentages back on certain purchases ?

The Tier One Cards might look at your length of history as a determining factor in approving you but I'm sure there will be responses to refute this statement.

Everyone will have their opinion to your question, but in the end, it will depend on what benefits are offered by the cards you qualify for. Choose wisely and good luck !

Following on smcc's post... with your scores think about your credit history and go after Tier 1 Cards if they fit your profile. I really recommend against multiple hard inquirys so use your credit power wisely and seek out the best (if your history supports this...). :cc:
13 years 8 months ago #6

Replied by smcc on topic Re: need someone's advice....

My opinion, what objectives do you have for this new card ? Are you looking for Cash back/rewards points/percentages back on certain purchases ?

The Tier One Cards might look at your length of history as a determining factor in approving you but I'm sure there will be responses to refute this statement.

Everyone will have their opinion to your question, but in the end, it will depend on what benefits are offered by the cards you qualify for. Choose wisely and good luck !
13 years 8 months ago #7
  • sanzoni
  • sanzoni's Avatar Topic Author

was created by sanzoni

Hey everyone. I just payed off the remaining balance of my credit cards so now my credit to debt ratio is 0%. All my scores are between 720-760. My oldest credit account is 2 years and 2 months old. The average age of my accounts is 1 year. My average household income is $90,000 a year. What credit card what I have the best chance of approval with. I was thinking between Chase Freedom or Discover More cards. Please give me some advice on what card to apply for and if you guys have any other card suggestions. Thank You
13 years 8 months ago #8