When and why did you really get going?

Replied by smcc on topic Re: When and why did you really get going?

The good things about my cards is the concierge. They can help you with anything/everything when traveling. Most of us have Roadside Assistance through our Auto Insurance but for those that don't having a Signature Card helps when your car breaks down, you need a tow, possible room if your car can't be fixed that day and a ZAGAT dining feature should you need dining assistance while waiting for repairs.
14 years 10 months ago #1
  • Eldarwen
  • Eldarwen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: When and why did you really get going?

What I am doing right now is I carry 2 cards with me if I am doing errands. I do that so I don't go hog wild with shopping. Another habitI am getting into is the pay in full method. Then I don't pay interest or financce charges. I did get into the buy now, pay latter mentality and now I am trying to pay off debt.
14 years 10 months ago #2

I like your story CG101. Your right, there is no magic bullet but paying on time, paying more than the minimum if you can, and just one day at a time, one step at a time.
14 years 10 months ago #3

Replied by CG101 on topic Re: When and why did you really get going?

The beginning of 2007 I had decided I wanted a house. After 2 years of repair and rebuild, I had qualified for a mortgage at a "ehhh" rate, then I improved my credit further while making on time payments, and qualified for a refi through BOA.

There are people who get discouraged by being in the high 500s/low 600s. I can only say, I was too. And I did it through the providence of time, no piggybacking, no magical bullet...time.
14 years 10 months ago #4
  • Eldarwen
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: When and why did you really get going?

Anything with an annual fee gives me hives. I can only see the worth in those if you travel a lot or you are a very big spender. I am not either of those, so I cannot justify having an annual fee.
14 years 10 months ago #5

Got my first BOA Platinum Card in 2003. $3200 limit. Thought I was in heaven. Kept paying on time, paying more than the minimum, and asking for CLI's every 3 - 6 months. When I got to a $31K limit (my card now had manifested into a BankAmericard World Points Visa) I thought I had a good relationship with BOA to apply for a Visa Signature. Received that card with a $10k limit. At that point I became a Credit Limit Monger.

My BankAmericard reached $41K and was upgraded to a Visa Signature.

Got a pre approved letter for a Discover and received that card with a $4K limit.

My goal was always to get an AMEX. Meya, HJM331, and others told me because of some baddies I would have to wait. Then a Pre Approved letter came from AMEX and I now have the Gold.

What I want is the Visa Black or BOA's Accolade Card. AMEX's Platinum Card is in reach but I'm rethinking the $450/year membership fee. I currently have more credit than I will ever need and can purchase anything I want but to know that their are better cards, cards with more clout, cards that only the few can carry, keeps me wanting more
14 years 10 months ago #6
  • Eldarwen
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

was created by Eldarwen

When did you really get going for getting more credit/charge cards? For me it pretty much began in very late July/early August of 2007 that I started to get a lot of CC's. The reason being is that in late August of 2007 I was suppoesed to go to Lake Tahoe on a vacation with a freind and his family. My job was to help keep an eye on the grandfather. I was responsible for my food and whatever else I wanted to get. My grandmother said that when you travel, don't go using debit cards, but use CC's (she traveled a lot and worked for an airline). I put off getting a credit card until pretty much lasst minute. My reason was that I had my Sears Master card with a $2,100 limit and had about $700 owed on it. So I needed a credit card or two that had decent limits on it. At that time, I didn't know what my credit score was and was going in blind. I wasn'tt really looking at rewards or what I really wanted out of a CC. Hence, I started with applying for a Chase Freedom Visa over the phone. They didn't give me an approval right away so I didn't know if they would approve me or not. After I got through with the phone call, I decided and try for an Amex card. I went through the questionare part on the Amex site and applied for the Blue. I pulled the trigger and I was approved for a $2,000 limit. Within a day or two, I did call Chase and found out that I was approved for the Freedom and had a $5,000 limit. Thought I was all set for my vacation. Needless, my friend and I didn't go because he said that he developed a health condition and couldn't fly anywhere at the moment. That began my app spree and now have 7 cards total.
14 years 10 months ago #7