Discover Cards being Replaced

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

Well I just got a pre-approval mail offer from Discover(More) and was considering applying; I really don't use lot of credit cards; mainly departments stores(Sales) I have been doing my research(on FG)
and it seems like a highly favorable card. Still haven't decided have unitl June 30, 2009 to apply...

I will let you know on the Application Status & Credit Card Review if I apply what the outcome was....

Good luck!
14 years 11 months ago #1

Have one (Discover More) card. Got same Pre Approved letter. Honestly, not impressed.

Oh boy!:relieved:
14 years 11 months ago #2

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

Have one (Discover More) card. Got same Pre Approved letter. Honestly, not impressed.
14 years 11 months ago #3

Replied by skeewee08 on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

Well I just got a pre-approval mail offer from Discover(More) and was considering applying; I really don't use lot of credit cards; mainly departments stores(Sales) I have been doing my research(on FG)
and it seems like a highly favorable card. Still haven't decided have unitl June 30, 2009 to apply...

I will let you know on the Application Status & Credit Card Review if I apply what the outcome was....
14 years 11 months ago #4

Although AMEX has a couple more perks (travel related), Visa Signature is very close to amenities offered by AMEX.
14 years 11 months ago #5

Replied by mathman on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

one thing i know amex has over discover (at least the more card) is travel perks and insurance. citi premier pass is also better in that respect. i'm not a big traveler, so it doesn't appeal to me (cash back does).

i can see back in the 90s when (i think) rewards programs were sparse that amex was a big deal. that advantage went away in 2000 but it could come back if other companies peel back their rewards programs.
14 years 11 months ago #6

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

I am in the process of paying off Discover until my tax refund comes in and then I am going to switch to the PIF method with them. They are a good company that has not screwed with me much. They bumped my APR up from 17% to 19% hence that is why I am doing that. A lot of CCC's are tweaking their rewards system in various ways. I like Discover's 5%-29% cash back when you shop through their site. It adds up real quick. If I can't use my Discover at a certian place, I just use my Amazon.com Visa. They give you 3 points for every dollar that you spend on Amazon.com and 1 point for every dollar everywhere else. Discover has not sent me any new cards to use and that is fine with me.
14 years 11 months ago #7

You might not want to hear this young man but AMEX could have left the original denial for gospel giving you the assumption that if you correct whatever reasons for denial and apply again that you might get accepted.

Obviously someone must go back through the denials to see if their are any possibilities to send out a pre-approval/select letter and realized that your original denial letter was wrong in its contents.

Maybe not world class service but you can't deny them being thorough with their current and potential customer base
14 years 11 months ago #8

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

I remember applying for the One from American Express and they denied my application. Last week, I received a letter from them stating that the reasons they listed on the denial letter a year ago were incorrect and the correct reasons were listed in the letter I received last week.

How pathetic is that? Not only did they send me a letter with the wrong reasons for denial last year but it took them a year to notify me of the correct reasons. That's world-class service for you right there.

They probably got sued and had to send out corrections. Regulations are fun.

Meanwhile, I got yet another change in terms from Discover this weekend. They are eliminating the .5% cashback tier on my card. So now I get a paltry .25% for the first $3,000 and then 1% above $3,000. My account still gets the 5% bonuses every quarter. They keep giving me more and more reasons to use my Citi Dividend.
14 years 11 months ago #9

Are you serious? That is just a little bit too much snooping for me. Why would they sit up there and send you a letter of rejection a year after sending one ontime. That would have me scared.
14 years 11 months ago #10

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

I remember applying for the One from American Express and they denied my application. Last week, I received a letter from them stating that the reasons they listed on the denial letter a year ago were incorrect and the correct reasons were listed in the letter I received last week.

How pathetic is that? Not only did they send me a letter with the wrong reasons for denial last year but it took them a year to notify me of the correct reasons. That's world-class service for you right there.
14 years 11 months ago #11

I am glad I learned about them while I was not qualified enough. I can't wait to see the AMEX invitations in the mail, I am going probably burn it and mail them the ashes. This will be a nice thing to see AMEX and DISCOVER battle it out, I will apply for a discover and have those who know they can't get the card apply just so that they can beat them in having more customers that applied. :laugh: jk

On the real, not only are the customers they done wrong is not coming back, but those who heard about amex's rumors through the consumers and the news, will less likely apply with amex. They are gonna find a way to try and come back with some type of "I'm ssoooooooorrrrry" letter, but I hope no one bites to it. Let that card stay with who they desire the most, the snurlyfied, stuck up, wanna be rich ones.
14 years 11 months ago #12

Replied by mathman on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

+1 for hjm "you can't intentionally reduce your clientelle and expect them to come back when things start looking up. That's not how you do business"

i agree that American Express is going to have difficulties after the recovery because of the large number of people they alienated. i guess their membership rewards are popular but there is so much competition in that area now.

i find discover card users to be incredibly loyal and their customer service is very good. my only complaint is their tiered structure for the non-5% categories. $3k in a year a pretty high barrier for my current card rotation.
15 years 9 hours ago #13

Replied by Rockin35 on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

To Hjm331,

You just touched on some major major major points! I too think that Discover will go head to head with AMEX. I actually hope Discover trumps Visa, although thats a long ways off. I find it funny that my Sams Club Discover and my Walmart Discover card remain untouched, no threats of decreasing my limits or APRs and I use them the least.

Yet AMEX,- had my student card since 1996 or 1999, not even $1000K, was cut to $500 for lack of purchasing.

I guess other card holders that have lost their jobs are struggling to pay and AMEX doesn't want to take chances any longer. My friend works downtown and she says Memphis is flooded with people filing chapter 7 & she says most are home owners.

Great Post!! Rockin35!
15 years 1 day ago #14

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Discover Cards being Replaced

Amex was and still is notorious for doing what is known for years to consumers accounts called a FR(financial review)before your credit limit is reduced.I've known people for years who carried an Amex way before the economy downward swing and then out of the blue a FR letter in the mail so i never had any interest in applying with them.

Discover on the other hand have come a long way from the humble beginnings from the 80's to where now has become a good quality card to have in your possesion with rewards that beat some of the other big time players.
15 years 1 day ago #15