Mervyns Closing Up Shop

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Mervyns Closing Up Shop

So if a person who does not have a Walmart card, decides to go into the Walmart store and apply, what happens?
15 years 5 months ago #16

Replied by KIEJON9 on topic Re: Mervyns Closing Up Shop

My mother has the Mervyn's card and I told her not to close it because it will be converted into another card. Even if GEMB does close her account, it wouldn't look bad on her report because when analysts look at her report and it says "closed by creditor", they will know it was closed because Mervyn's went out of business. The account reports as GEMB/Mervyn's I believe.

Hi HJM yes It reports as GEMB/Mervyn's
Mervyn's will be closing all of its 149 stores before the end of the year and holding huge going-out- of business sales, the Bay Area's Daily Review reports. The California-based department store chain filed for bankruptcy in July and had been fruitlessly scrambling for a sale or a deal with landlords and creditors that would keep it alive. More than 3,000 jobs will be lost in the Bay Area alone.
A statement from Mervyns' CEO blamed the demise of the 59-year-old chain on the "extremely challenging retail environment" and said all other possibilities had been exhausted. Retail analysts said the company's mix of quality and discount items had failed to secure it a niche in recent years, and things worsened after the low-to-middle-income shoppers it targeted were hit hard by California's slumping economy.
15 years 5 months ago #17

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Mervyns Closing Up Shop

Yes this is all true! Just the other day, my sister went into Mervin's to pay her bill that was due the same day. They told her that she could not pay in the store, she would have to pay on line or mail it in. Now she is going crazy because she thinks that the payment is not going to post the same day. When it comes to making payments that close to the due date, I really don't know what to tell you besides, "What the heck is your problem!" IF they convert it or close it, I wish the best for all because I used to love going to Mervyn's and rack up on my kids school uniform. they were pretty cheap in comparison to other dept stores.

Hey Colonative, what if the card holder already have a WalMart card, do they just close the account? Another thing I was thinking about, I was wondering if Mervyn's were going to still be available on line. I know Montgomery Ward is online, I assume to cut the overhead costs. The only thing is that they do not sell the same items that they sold before. It looks more like a Fingerhut store now. :worried:
15 years 5 months ago #18

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Mervyns Closing Up Shop

I'll update as soon as I get the news from her.

My mother likes her Discover card but she's not using at as a "daily purchases" card because she has a BT sitting on it. Discover wanted to pull a hard inquiry for the CLI at activation so we said no thanks.
15 years 5 months ago #19

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Mervyns Closing Up Shop

My mother has the Mervyn's card and I told her not to close it because it will be converted into another card. Even if GEMB does close her account, it wouldn't look bad on her report because when analysts look at her report and it says "closed by creditor", they will know it was closed because Mervyn's went out of business. The account reports as GEMB/Mervyn's I believe.

Maybe you can keep us informed as to what happens with that, I would like to know.

Also, how is your mom liking her new Discover Card? Did you get the credit line increase at activation?
15 years 5 months ago #20

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Mervyns Closing Up Shop

15 years 5 months ago #21

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Mervyns Closing Up Shop

So IDK if its all Mervyns but here in AZ, they are gonna be gone for good. So that being said, whats going to happen to the credit cards????? Well, I was shopping for what sales they have and was talking to an associate. She told me that the credit card program has basically been dissolved immediately. Other than paying off an existing balance you cant apply for one, make a purchase or even pay for your bill at the store. Without proper oticed she said shoppers have come in irrate caue they cant use their card. GEMB has just stopped them.

Mervyn's left Colorado in 2006. They were going downhill fast and could not compete with Kohl's. I actually worked for Mervyn's over 10 years ago and I have to say, back then at least, it was a good store.

As far as their credit cards, I would imagine that GEMB will do the same thing they did with the Montgomery Ward cards; they will be turned into a Wal-Mart card or perhaps a JC Penney and if your credit isn't up to par they may just close the account completely. Ward's cards stopped being accepted right before the Montgomery Ward closings too.

On a similar note, they may just close them all. Back in the early part of this decade Best Buy used two different banks for their cards; you either got GECCC (GEMB) or Household. Well in 2002 Best Buy decided to just go with Household, so all the people (like me) with the GECCC Best Buy were simply closed; they offered an application for the Household version but I decided against it. So that could be what they do here, just close em.
15 years 5 months ago #22

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Mervyns Closing Up Shop

I'm surprised they had stores still open because there was one Mervyns down the street from me and it closed about almost 2 years ago.I believe they closed all the stores here in Texas to cut cost and are finally now liquidating the rest of their stores in other states, and as far as the credit card goes it's probably being fazed out by the closures and a lack of notices is typical of gemb.
15 years 5 months ago #23
  • cireone
  • cireone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

was created by cireone

So IDK if its all Mervyns but here in AZ, they are gonna be gone for good. So that being said, whats going to happen to the credit cards????? Well, I was shopping for what sales they have and was talking to an associate. She told me that the credit card program has basically been dissolved immediately. Other than paying off an existing balance you cant apply for one, make a purchase or even pay for your bill at the store. Without proper oticed she said shoppers have come in irrate caue they cant use their card. GEMB has just stopped them.
15 years 5 months ago #24