Discover Motiva

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Discover More Card

I guess I have to do my research hjm331. To get a round trip ticket on BOA using points takes 25000 points (the last time I looked). I spend between $800 - $900 a month on my card and trying to figure out what's the fastest way to a round trip ticket points vs cash back
15 years 3 months ago #61

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Discover More Card

Smcc, the difference between the two cards is point rewards vs cash back rewards. It all depends which one you prefer to have. I'd prefer cash back over points any day because cash back is straight-forward.
15 years 3 months ago #62

Ok guys got my Discover Card, set it up online and ready to go. Have one question, what's the difference between shopping online through Discover vs shopping online "at the mall" with BOA? Points vs Cash Rewards ?

Have to admit the online set up is "sweet" and talked to Customer Service last night to Activate and talked to a live person !

Thing is now will it be something on sale on Black Friday 2 (Dec 26th) that will tempt me to take any of my cards out for a spin :cheesing:

Have a Merry Christmas Everyone...................... !
15 years 3 months ago #63

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

Wmarat, I'm totally aware that they offer high credit lines, I was referring to credit line increases. Even those who have gotten increases, most if not all, were initiated by them, at least that's what my research has shown. ColoNative, if they like to see a lot of usage, then they ought to offer higher initial credit lines, lol. I would even be happy if they gave me the same as yours. Hopefully they'll show you some love in February, let's keep our fingers crossed. ColoNative, were all your past increases given automatically? If they were that's gives me some hope.
15 years 3 months ago #64

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

You're on a roll, look at you. From what I've read about Discover, don't expect to much when it comes to CLI, be glad they gave you one at all, because I've read in many places that some cardholders have carried their card for years without receiving any increase. That being said, it seems they gave you a pretty sizable one. Don't let me start ranting about the measley line the gave me to start with.

Discover likes to see a lot of usage before they give CLI's. I was given 3 $1,000 CLI's every six months between 8/02-8/03 and then in 2/04 they gave me a $1,800 CLI, but that was when I switched my Citi to a Dividend card and only used my Discover twice a year to keep it active. Four years later I am still at $7,800. I have been using it regularly since September because of the 5% Cash Back on Gasoline and Groceries. Maybe in February I will get something. It is my only major credit card under $10K.
15 years 3 months ago #65

Replied by wmarat on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

You're on a roll, look at you. From what I've read about Discover, don't expect to much when it comes to CLI, be glad they gave you one at all, because I've read in many places that some cardholders have carried their card for years without receiving any increase. That being said, it seems they gave you a pretty sizable one. Don't let me start ranting about the measley line the gave me to start with.

You are right and wrong. Yes, Discover is known by giving relatively low CL. Maximum CL is $15k, higher CL requires paperwork and hard pull. At the same time, if Discover wants my business, it should be flexible too and they know that I always can use another card.
15 years 3 months ago #66

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Discover More Card

Here are the 5% reward categories:

October-December 2008: Grocery stores, restaurants, movies
January-March 2009: Airlines, Hotels, Car Rentals, Cruises
April-June 2009: Home, Fashion
July-September 2009: Gas, Hotels, and More (not sure what the more means)

Thought this might be helpful to More cardholders.:innocent:
15 years 3 months ago #67

Did my research again on the Discover card charonh and your right because of limited acceptance you have to have a contingency plan. What caught my eye was and maybe you can clarify this for me is Points on my BOA cards vs cash back on Discover. I usually charge $900 a month on my card and using that value I get 1300 points on my BankAmericard. Now using that same amount to charge on my Discover how long will it take to pay for a round trip airline ticket within the continental U.S. ? From a points perspective its 25000 to make it happen.

Not giving up on the Accolades Charonh. Besides an AMEX I have to have something to strive for. For me when its currently beyond your reach, it keeps the incentive of doing whatever you can to improve your score to meet that milestone.

As far as the $4K limit, Since the only people I know with a Discover Card are you guys I didn't know what to think. BOA started me close to there so I thought it was normal..........

That's a good perspective, you should set goals (Accolades), they keep you motivated. Now you're absolutely correct regarding the rewards. Your Americard will yield better rewards, unless of course the bulk of your purchases fall within the 5% category Discover offers each month, but the categories change every three months or so. Right now the category is grocery stores, restaurants, and movies, which will change in January to airlines, hotels, cruises, and rentals. However, its limited acceptance is also a factor, because you won't be able to reap the rewards full potential, because a lot of places just do not accept Discover, especially some fast food places I frequent. Just about all major restaurants (Red Lobster, Applebee's Ruby Tuesday, etc.) accept it though. They also have certain restrictions such as warehouse type stores don't give you as much or are excluded such as Walmart, Sam's Club, etc. Either way I suggest you definitely take advantage of the 5% category rewards, they add up really fast. You don't start receiving 1% on all other purchases until you have spent at least $3000 and even then they're still certain restrictions.
15 years 3 months ago #68

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Discover More Card

You go Girl ! Meya please tell me your were not directing that comment at me (LOL)

You know I was :fun:!

That is a nice limit! Maaaaaaaan I can't wait til it is my turn. You started my addiction all over hearing this...lol
15 years 3 months ago #69

Did my research again on the Discover card charonh and your right because of limited acceptance you have to have a contingency plan. What caught my eye was and maybe you can clarify this for me is Points on my BOA cards vs cash back on Discover. I usually charge $900 a month on my card and using that value I get 1300 points on my BankAmericard. Now using that same amount to charge on my Discover how long will it take to pay for a round trip airline ticket within the continental U.S. ? From a points perspective its 25000 to make it happen.

Not giving up on the Accolades Charonh. Besides an AMEX I have to have something to strive for. For me when its currently beyond your reach, it keeps the incentive of doing whatever you can to improve your score to meet that milestone.

As far as the $4K limit, Since the only people I know with a Discover Card are you guys I didn't know what to think. BOA started me close to there so I thought it was normal..........
15 years 3 months ago #70

Smcc that's a lot better than they started me with; a measley $500 and from what I here, they must have thought a lot of you to start you out with that much, therefore you should be proud even though its not what you expected. I was upset after I found out my limit, so much so, that I called and cancelled the card, but I later called back and reopened it and I'm glad I did. Its my card of first choice now. Due to its limited acceptance I have to keep a backup card, which is the only downfall I see. Overall, I'm very pleased and I think you will be too. So are you giving up on the Accolades card?
15 years 3 months ago #71

You go Girl ! Meya please tell me your were not directing that comment at me (LOL) :cheesing: They started me out with a $4K limit. Will see how it goes.
15 years 3 months ago #72

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Discover More Card

Get out of here! Way to go!:white-flag:You go girl!
15 years 3 months ago #73

Broke down and applied online and was approved.
15 years 3 months ago #74

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover More Card

Received another pre approval for a Discover More card over the weekend. I know I can opt out of the Pre Screen process but when does a company do a "take away" and stop sending pre approval applications other than your credit score dropping and you don't qualify anymore ?

It took WaMu literally 3 months to stop harassing me and I don't know if that was because they don't really exist independantly (Chase) anymore or what. I know that Capital One will hound you for months then stop and then start again.

Like Meya said 1-888-5-opt out is your best bet.
15 years 3 months ago #75