Discover Motiva

Replied by interjack on topic Re: Discover More Card

I read on another forum that Discover has been sending apr increases to certain cardholders, most of them say they don't usually carry a balance on their Discover so I don't know what that's all about. I haven't received one yet, thank God.

Mine hasn't been raised yet...and hopefully never.
15 years 2 months ago #46

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Discover More Card

I read on another forum that Discover has been sending apr increases to certain cardholders, most of them say they don't usually carry a balance on their Discover so I don't know what that's all about. I haven't received one yet, thank God.
15 years 2 months ago #47

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Discover Motiva

I read on another forum that they do not, but I suggest you give them a call. Their reps are extremely qualified and I'm sure they will give you the correct answer. Out of curiousity, do you feel the reward you will receive for paying on time for the Motiva is more beneficial, than the 5% categories offered by the More card? I love Discover, just wished they're were accepted by more merchants.:dumbfounded:
15 years 2 months ago #48

Replied by interjack on topic Re: Discover Motiva

Has anyone tried to change their Discover More into a Motive or vice versa? Does Discover allow a change in product?
15 years 2 months ago #49

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover More Card

You have a point. I'm lucky only Amex decreased my limit. I think that they have gotten more conservitive with the CLI's.

Alot of banks have stated that they will slash credit limits soon. And with that UDAP law that passed the banks are going to become even stingier. And you know what? Good for them. Our laws are WAY too consumer friendly and now that this law that takes away a lot of what banks can do, consumers are going to find it even harder to get easy credit. Serves em all right.
15 years 2 months ago #50

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Discover More Card

You have a point. I'm lucky only Amex decreased my limit. I think that they have gotten more conservitive with the CLI's.
15 years 2 months ago #51

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover More Card

Discover has not given me an increase since I got it in April. They probably want my balance with them to go down and other balances to be paid off or low before they give me an increase. I love the fact that I am able to get an English speaking native instead of a forgiener. They can be so hard to understand.

I had the hardest time getting increases with them-primarily because I was impatient (like a fool I requested 3 in a short span which resulting in puny $500 increases each time and cost me an inquiry each time). It is easy for me to say now, but 7-8 years ago I was always wanting things right away and didn't want to wait. The minute I started waiting, the CLI's came in every 6 months. That was back in 2003 though and with the economy the way it is and that stupid UDAP law that passed, they are getting very conservative with their limits.
I think at this point, we should be happy that Discover has not decreased our limits.
15 years 2 months ago #52

Discover has not given me an increase since I got it in April. They probably want my balance with them to go down and other balances to be paid off or low before they give me an increase. I love the fact that I am able to get an English speaking native instead of a forgiener. They can be so hard to understand.
15 years 2 months ago #53

Replied by interjack on topic Re: Discover More Card

So far they have treated me nicely and I like the fact that their customer service is English speaking and that they are open 24/7.

They are incredibly conservative in their lending practices. They will not give me a CLI even though I have had the card about a year. They want my utilization to go down and for my accounts to be open longer.
15 years 2 months ago #54

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Discover More Card

I don't know if they report weekly, but I do know they report quickly. Its almost scary.
15 years 2 months ago #55

Replied by mathman on topic Re: Discover More Card

hjm331: i am only tracking my equifax actively. i saw it change on the 12/22 and 12/29. i get a scorewatch alert whenever my balance increases by a tiny threshold (10%). i haven't made a payment on the card since i just got it last month.

i can't comment on the others because i don't track those actively.
15 years 2 months ago #56

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Discover More Card

Mathman, does you see Discover reporting weekly to 3 different credit bureaus or just one? Remember, Experian is the credit bureau that updates the info the fastest and Equifax being the slowest. It could be that Discover reported your info at the same time when they reported your info to Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax but Equifax is taking their sweet time updating your info.
15 years 2 months ago #57

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Discover More Card

now for my main posting reason

Nice info and posting mathman, but you shocked me on this one. I guess this is a difficult way to pay off the balance before the statment cuts.:confused:
15 years 2 months ago #58

I would rather have the cash back from my Discover card than points from my BofA Amex.
15 years 2 months ago #59

Replied by mathman on topic Re: Discover More Card

i agree with hjm in that cash back makes things simple. that's how i like it myself. in the end, it all depends on your usage pattern and the rewards offered. more often than not, points rewards aren't as good as cashback (use 1% as a benchmark) and points can be devalued at any time by increasing the points required to get a reward.

i think worldpoints has a max dollar value for the ticket ($400) which essentially turns out to 1.625%. better than the typical 1% but you can obviously outpace that if you take advantage the 5% quarterly categories + shopdiscover. my only peeve about discover is the tiered rebate system.

now for my main posting reason: it seems like discover reports balances on a weekly basis. they showed up on my equifax. i just figured people would want to know.
15 years 2 months ago #60