Discover Motiva

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Discover Motiva

Ok people I need some clarification here. Have a Discover More Card. Never used it, thought I would take it out for a spin. I will admit that BOA has spoiled me and I can charge something on my card and transfer the funds from my checking/savings to my CC account on my blackberry or back at the office on the PC.

DISCOVER is telling me that if I make a charge I can't immediately pay it off until it posts? Here's the killer part, they say I have to pay by check if I do it online and if I use a Credit Card its will be considered a Balance Transfer on the card you use to pay off DISCOVER.

This is the 21st Century right ? I can have a zero balance on my CC with BOA and transfer $1000 to that account and will have a $1000 credit limit. Does Discover not want any of its customers to carry a credit balance? If Customer Service is correct then you can't be proactive with this card !

Not disrespecting Discover and its legion of satisfied customers but is BOA that domineering or DISCOVER isn't a major player like I was lead to believe?

Are you kidding me? You can't carry a credit balance or pay off something until its posted to your account ? Gee let me see if the mail is still delivered by Pony Express while I'm at it :upset: !
15 years 2 months ago #31

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Discover Motiva

Do you have the Citi Cash Returns card? Is that the card you mentioned above?
15 years 2 months ago #32

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover Motiva

I can't wait to convert my WorldPoints Visa to the Cash Rewards MC in June. I'm fed up with counting points and would love to receive cash back.

Yeah, I am all about the cashback too.
15 years 2 months ago #33

I can't wait to convert my WorldPoints Visa to the Cash Rewards MC in June. I'm fed up with counting points and would love to receive cash back.
15 years 2 months ago #34

I just received my statement and it hasn't changed so far. Lol, I noticed that I had accrued enough rewards balance had reached $20; I hurried up and told them to credit it my balance. I hope my notice dropped out of the pile

You might have not been included in the change in terms then. Which is good. It is time consuming to earn enough on Discover these days. That is why I use my Citibank Dividend, there are no teirs to go through, I get 2% on groceries, gas, utlilities and drugstores and 1% on everything else. I use it like a debit card because I pay it in full every month and then I use my reward every year to pay those stupid license plate fees. Fun. :white-flag:
15 years 2 months ago #35

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Discover Motiva

Mine came with my January statement. Has your Discover billed this month yet? Also, maybe not everybody is effected by it. Maybe they are pulling a Citibank thing where they go after people who have had their accounts longer. It is a shame because $50 is not easy to earn on Discover unless you really spend the heck out of it.

I just received my statement and it hasn't changed so far. Lol, I noticed that I had accrued enough rewards balance had reached $20; I hurried up and told them to credit it my balance. I hope my notice dropped out of the pile :confused:, because like you said, it would take forever to earn the $50..
15 years 2 months ago #36

our College Book Store Sold Out To Bn. Now I Go Into Bn And Buy A Coke And Pay With My Discover. Its Just My Little Way Of Nickle And Diming Them Like They Have Done Me Over The Years.

Lol
15 years 2 months ago #37

Replied by interjack on topic Re: Discover Motiva

If they lowered their merchant fees, more merchants might start accepting Discover cards like Visa and MC.

Our college book store sold out to BN. Now I go into BN and buy a coke and pay with my Discover. Its just my little way of nickle and diming them like they have done me over the years. :fun:
15 years 2 months ago #38

If they lowered their merchant fees, more merchants might start accepting Discover cards like Visa and MC.
15 years 2 months ago #39

Geez ColoNative, I haven't received a change in my terms yet, especially about the rewards. I did notice that my balance transfer rate has changed from 3.99 to 9.99 after recently logging into my account online. That's really going to be a bummer, because like you said, it will take forever to reap a $50 reward. Oh well, those are the breaks. I will continue to use mine until the 0% on purchases intro is over.

Mine came with my January statement. Has your Discover billed this month yet? Also, maybe not everybody is effected by it. Maybe they are pulling a Citibank thing where they go after people who have had their accounts longer. It is a shame because $50 is not easy to earn on Discover unless you really spend the heck out of it.
15 years 2 months ago #40

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Discover Motiva

Geez ColoNative, I haven't received a change in my terms yet, especially about the rewards. I did notice that my balance transfer rate has changed from 3.99 to 9.99 after recently logging into my account online. That's really going to be a bummer, because like you said, it will take forever to reap a $50 reward. Oh well, those are the breaks. I will continue to use mine until the 0% on purchases intro is over.
15 years 2 months ago #41

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover More Card

colo

Well, I was really young when I got my card and it took 4 applications to be approved for $1500. But they have given me decent CLI's over the years; however, I have not had once since 2005 (I rarely use my Discover anymore).
I opened a 2nd Discover in 2002 for a balance transfer and they gave me $7800 off the bat and within 6 months bumped it to $8500. I closed that 2nd account in 2004 and like a dummy I didn't ask them to transfer some of that credit line over to my old card; hindsight is always 20/20. I guess what it is 1) the current economy, they aren't playing with people anymore and 2) they have always been pretty safe with the limits they give and to whom they give them out. I have seen people with Discover Cards from 1986 (the first year that Discover was marketed nationwide) who still have under $10K limits.

I think we all just need to hang tight and ride this one out. Things have never been quite this bad since the 30's.
15 years 3 months ago #42

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover More Card

I read on another forum that Discover has been sending apr increases to certain cardholders, most of them say they don't usually carry a balance on their Discover so I don't know what that's all about. I haven't received one yet, thank God.

I have not received that, but I did get a change in terms with my recent statement. The Dual Cycle Method for computing APR is giving way to the Average Daily Balance (in the 9 years I have had my Discover I have never once carried a balance). But.....starting in May they are changing the way that you can redeem your Cashback Bonus award, isntead of cashing it out in $20 increments, it is changing to $50! I can earn $50 on my Citi Dividend card no problem, but with Discover it would take two to three times as long. In most states they will still allow $20 increments if you chose to redeem it in the form of a gift card from one of their partners.:white-flag:
15 years 3 months ago #43

Replied by mathman on topic Re: Discover More Card

i just got off the phone from a discover rep for my standard "please deny transactions that go over my limit" request (i actually called before hoping a different CSR would be able). bad news is they don't do that type of thing. good (in fact great) news is they have the best policy ever on that.

the best way to look at it is a cross between total denial and no preset limit. on top of the alerts you can set, they generally deny the transaction. they will let a little through and as long as you pay the overage off before the due-date, you won't get hit with the over-limit fee. i don't think i could ask for anything more than that (no pun intended).

colo: sounds like discover is already pretty stingy about approvals and CLs in the first place, so what they give us is probably as bad as it gets. i would be surprised in they did in fact do it.
15 years 3 months ago #44

Replied by interjack on topic Re: Discover Motiva

I read on another forum that they do not, but I suggest you give them a call. Their reps are extremely qualified and I'm sure they will give you the correct answer. Out of curiousity, do you feel the reward you will receive for paying on time for the Motiva is more beneficial, than the 5% categories offered by the More card? I love Discover, just wished they're were accepted by more merchants

No, I feel that the 5% is better. I just wondered about some of their internals. They seem extremely selective with whom they give credit.
15 years 3 months ago #45