Discover Motiva

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover Motiva

I think it's been four months since she's had the card. She doesn't really use the card, she's trying to pay off the BT before the promo rate ends.

Oh that's right. She bought a computer and transferred it to the Discover right?

Good card to have.
15 years 2 months ago #16

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Discover Motiva

I think it's been four months since she's had the card. She doesn't really use the card, she's trying to pay off the BT before the promo rate ends.
15 years 2 months ago #17

Speaking of Discover Motiva,

HJM, how is your mom liking her card? It has been a few months now right?
15 years 2 months ago #18

That's true, BoA loves multiple relationships. The more accounts you have with them, the more they will love you.

I actually really like their online checking account; it is very easy to use.
15 years 2 months ago #19

Colonative thanks for the information. Let me tell you about another experience I had that kinda follows what you said

Yeah. Some creditors don't have anything in place that monitors credit balances. Usually after three months of continued credit balances their systems could automatically send it out. Depends on the creditors.
15 years 2 months ago #20

Your chances will be better if you have a checking acct and or savings account in good standing with them when you apply.

That's true, BoA loves multiple relationships. The more accounts you have with them, the more they will love you. :laugh:
15 years 2 months ago #21

Replied by interjack on topic Re: Discover Motiva

That is why they are in my next apps

Your chances will be better if you have a checking acct and or savings account in good standing with them when you apply.
15 years 2 months ago #22

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Discover Motiva

That is why they are in my next apps:laugh:
15 years 2 months ago #23

That is why I like BoA. As long as you pay your bills on-time and don't raise red flags, they will keep everything running smoothly.
15 years 2 months ago #24

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Discover Motiva

Colonative thanks for the information. Let me tell you about another experience I had that kinda follows what you said:

Brought my wife some jewelry awhile back costing $600. Now I immediately paiid off the card bringing it down to a zero balance. My wife decides she doesn't want it anymore and I return it. I know have a $600 credit balance. Now for the next two months I continue to add money to this credit balance until it totals $1300. At this point I go on a weekend vacation and spend the balance down to zero. All the while Colonative while adding money to the card and increaseing the credit balance BOA didn't say a word................:worried:
15 years 2 months ago #25

DISCOVER is telling me that if I make a charge I can't immediately pay it off until it posts? Here's the killer part, they say I have to pay by check if I do it online and if I use a Credit Card its will be considered a Balance Transfer on the card you use to pay off DISCOVER.

Are you kidding me? You can't carry a credit balance or pay off something until its posted to your account ? Gee let me see if the mail is still delivered by Pony Express while I'm at it

This is a fraud prevention tool that many (almost all) creditors have set in place. For online (and phone) payments you cannot make a payment in excess of your balance. So if you have a $100 balance posted to the account you cannot pay more then $100. So it stands to reason that if you have a $0 balance they will not allow you to pay. And most transactions do take a few days to post-this is usually the merchants doing. When I first received my Discover Card in 1999 my limit was a paltry $1500 and I was spending the heck out of it. I sent them a check every two weeks to their PO Box and it posted to clear up my available credit.

What some fraudsters like to do is what is known as check kiting. They will make a large payment to free up not only their credit limit but sometimes they "structure" the account so that they have a credit balance. Then they go out and spend all of the credit limit and credit balance and in the meantime the payment is returned unpaid resulting in a huge loss to the creditor. So, in the electronic age, the banks do not allow for larger payments then necessary to clear up the balance.

As far as BofA goes, they are really good about showing pending purchases right away and if you "transfer funds from within the bank" online they might not give you any trouble.
15 years 2 months ago #26

Do you have the Citi Cash Returns card? Is that the card you mentioned above?

Sorry for the late response. No, it isn't the Cash Returns. I have the Dividend Platinum Select. Citi is no longer offering it to consumers unless you are a student enrolled at a 4 year university. I think they were losing too much money on it.

But the Cash Returns isn't a bad choice.
15 years 2 months ago #27

Also, I don't transfer funds from my BoA checking to my BoA credit card because it takes longer for the payment to post on my account and update the available credit. I use the Bill Pay feature, make my payment before 2pm PST, and the payment posts the same evening.
15 years 2 months ago #28

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Discover Motiva

Thank you young man ! I can see the reasoning behind the bill may method. Didn't know Discover uses Clearing House procedures.
15 years 2 months ago #29

Smcc, most creditors are the same way. You can't make a payment until the transactions post to your account which generates a current balance. I don't know if you've ever tried this but when you try to make a payment, the system won't allow you to make a payment when your current balance is $0.00.

BoA operates on a different type of payment system which uses electronic payments and the others use ACH if I'm not mistaken. You can use the bill pay feature on your BOA Online Banking account and add your Discover card as one of your payees. You just have to enter your card number and that's it. You can make the payment amount you want and it will post on the evening of the delivery date. I used to do this with my AMEX card and now do it with my Citi card since I don't use it a lot.
15 years 2 months ago #30