Discover Motiva

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Discover More Card

I will never apply for another AMEX card again because I would not want to be embarassed in front of a group of people by having my card declined. They suspend your account without notice and reduce your limit without notice with the account being in perfect standing and not having a balance. That is why I have a BOA AMEX card. I get the prestige of AMEX and the peace of mind from Bank of America. It's a win-win situation for me.
15 years 5 months ago #121

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Discover More Card

I guess in terms of prestige, it would be AMEX, without a doubt. A lot of individuals feel they must acquire an AMEX card to truly believe that they have made it in the credit world (myself being one). I, personally, like my Discover card, because it is more in tune with my lifestyle (current broke student). I feel you should be very disciplined, above average, and have reached a certain level in terms of your finances to have a AMEX card. That being said it is not important on my list right now (LOL), however once I finish law school, I could not see myself being without one (even if it weren't my first choice in terms of usage). Amex cards are associated with success and prestige; there was a time when you flashed an Amex card that you were treated exceptionally well and considered to be part of an elite crowd, which is still the case in many arenas in my area. Its all about what you want for yourself. I say go for it if you're one of those individuals I'm speaking of.:innocent:
15 years 5 months ago #122

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover More Card

Never thought this thread would evolve like it has. So guys, which is more prestigious, the Discover More Card or a Simple AMEX Green ? I know I can get the Discover More Card, i.e., Good scores across the board, zero credit card debt, high limits, etc., but I want the AMEX card. Many of you like the Discover More Card based on postings but I see the AMEX as the "IT" card. Not worried about CLD's once I get the card or any other misfortunes but I think the AMEX is the one to have. Your opinions please...............

P.S. I'm sure you all have seen the commercial where there is a foursome at a business dinner and the guy pulls out what looks like a "Captain Crusader" Visa credit card to pay for the lunch and the clients mock his card and leave. His business partner pulls out her AMEX and pays instead. That has to be the funniest crack against Capital One and its "build your own card" idea yet

Which is more "prestigious" Discover More Card or American Express? Well, I believe that would be American Express. Other's will disagree but you flash a Gold or Platinum Amex and people are impressed. I had an Amex Gold Card when I was 20 and I thought I was hot stuff LOL.
That Gold Card has long since been closed and for me, the Discover Card gives the kinds of rewards that I like-free money. They both have excellent customer service and the Amex has great travel benefits.
Like Meya said, right now Amex is struggling and they are monitoring accounts like a hawk. I opened an Amex Blue in September with a $10,500 limit and I have had no problems. In fact, I checked my credit bureau and because I had that Amex Gold card from 1999 they BACKDATED the opening date of my new Amex Blue to 1999. To me, that is priceless and an example of how Amex would be considered prestigious.
Having said that; however, you have to ask yourself, 1. Do I need new credit? 2. Which card has the best features for what I am looking for?
Just my two cents but if you have over 30% utilization across all of your credit accounts you may want to skip the Amex until the economy improves.
15 years 5 months ago #123

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Discover More Card

First of all Meya your not a small cat in any sense. You knowledge and understanding of credit no matter what your history or current standing is what's valuable to all of us.

I guess I'm from the old school Meya and AMEX was it. Lot of "wannabe's" but only one AMEX. I too have done my research and agree that their tactics are questionable at best but I still see them as the card looking down on all others.

Thing is Meya, I will never use it. I have a no pre set spending card now and know the positives/negatives of having the card but its a Visa and not an AMEX. Obviously I will apply for the one with no Annual Fee but I still feel that its not the matter of how many cards you have but which ones you have. Of course this is an old man talking :laugh:

Don't you know Meya that way back when your postings stopped me from applying for an AMEX when you told me of my "BADDIES" that I had to wait to drop off before applying ? I thought I was on my way and you brought me back down to earth in a good way. Now I have the cards I want and have circled myself around the AMEX card of choice but just have to be patient until that times comes. Patience is a killer as HJM331 says but I will be ok until then

Small Cat.................Please :cheesing: !
15 years 5 months ago #124

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Discover More Card

smcc, do you mind if a small cat like me step in?:worried:

I can agree with the Amex being the known cc especially since they have been around for many of years. I think Discover has really been climbing because of what other creditors like Amex is doing, chopping limits on members who have excellent or good credit and have over $40k limits with them. I am not solely depending on what I have read on the board, but I am also depending on what I have saw on the news and read in papers.

I myself wanted an Amex, it was my dream card (especially the clear blue), but I cant see MYSELF shaking or having to worry about my card being decreased because of where I shop, where I live, or by the judgment of my lifestyle period. More and more people are going to turn away from this card because of their actions. They have no excuse for doing their customers like that, their allegations are, "We can do this at will" or they leave no comment:confused:

Don't quote me wrong, I never posted this to disagree with your post, we all have rights to speak whatever we want. Just like I still support cap1 and some don't. I just wanted to ...........ummmmm through a little post in since I am always quiet in the tier one threads due to me being in the "Fair credit range" category....lmao!
:fun:

Ps, I don't think I seen that commercial, I am going to look out for it.
15 years 5 months ago #125

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Discover More Card

Never thought this thread would evolve like it has. So guys, which is more prestigious, the Discover More Card or a Simple AMEX Green ? I know I can get the Discover More Card, i.e., Good scores across the board, zero credit card debt, high limits, etc., but I want the AMEX card. Many of you like the Discover More Card based on postings but I see the AMEX as the "IT" card. Not worried about CLD's once I get the card or any other misfortunes but I think the AMEX is the one to have. Your opinions please...............

P.S. I'm sure you all have seen the commercial where there is a foursome at a business dinner and the guy pulls out what looks like a "Captain Crusader" Visa credit card to pay for the lunch and the clients mock his card and leave. His business partner pulls out her AMEX and pays instead. That has to be the funniest crack against Capital One and its "build your own card" idea yet :laugh: Kinda narcisstic on AMEX 's part but it had to put a smile on your face.

Had to throw that one in............................. !
15 years 5 months ago #126

Probably, I wasn't given an explanation. They are so cute, though.
15 years 5 months ago #127

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Discover More Card

I was not aware of that. Maybe they had too many problems with the 2GO cards. Theft from those cards that are breaking off and people losing them.
15 years 5 months ago #128

No Eldarwen they said that they are no longer issuing them on new accounts, I opened my account in September of this year. They said that they will continue to service current 2GO cardholders. I was a bit disappointed, but oh well life goes on. If you find out anything to the contrary, please let me know. In the meantime, I will just enjoy my new pink monogram version.:innocent:
15 years 5 months ago #129

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Discover More Card

I was informed that they no longer offer the 2GO cards on new accounts, but I was able to get an additional with a new design. Guess they had to wait until I made my first payment.

How new? I got mine pretty quick. It was probably after I made my first payment. You can always call and ask.
15 years 5 months ago #130

I was informed that they no longer offer the 2GO cards on new accounts, but I was able to get an additional with a new design. Guess they had to wait until I made my first payment.
15 years 5 months ago #131

I know how women think. :cheesing:
15 years 5 months ago #132

The Discover 2Go card is like a fashion accessory for women because the designs of the card would match their outfit.

Which is why I would like one, lol, but they did not give me the option online. I'm about to go and check again to make sure.
15 years 5 months ago #133

The Discover 2Go card is like a fashion accessory for women because the designs of the card would match their outfit.
15 years 5 months ago #134

They must not offer the different feature and 2GO on all accounts, because I tried to change my card design and it only gave the option of the standard more card design. What is up with that? Have I not spent enough money for them, yet. lol.
15 years 5 months ago #135