Need help with old debt and statute of limitations

Replied by hanna on topic Re: Need help with old debt and statute of limitations

I'm thinking they would bill you anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours for a basic letter, at around $100-$200 /hr.

That much for a letter eh? :innocent:
14 years 1 month ago #1

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Need help with old debt and statute of limitations

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out after I get off work.
15 years 5 months ago #2

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Need help with old debt and statute of limitations

15 years 5 months ago #3

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Need help with old debt and statute of limitations

The link didn't work for me.
15 years 5 months ago #4

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Need help with old debt and statute of limitations

this guy's office is not too far from me budhibbs.com . I've been using the info from his site for years in dealing with collectors and the tactics they try to use against consumers.
15 years 5 months ago #5

Collections will do anything for the consumer to pay their debt regardless of how old it is.
15 years 5 months ago #6

the problem with old collections is that they are bought time and time again by different collectors and updated because they see that your credit is improving and is willing to take a chance that you would pay for an old debt that you know has dropped off.that is why i keep all of my credit reports on file for situation like that.my sister was working to improve her credit last year and as her credit was improving she started getting old collections that was well over ten years old.
15 years 5 months ago #7

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Old Macy's Account

Macy's is very forgiving, in fact, if you make an offer to pay off or on your old account, they will reopen a new one for you if you abide by the repayment terms. I know this to be true from personal experience.

I've also heard about this. Make sure you receive a letter in writing stating that it would clear your debt with them in the past and that they would approve you for a new account.
15 years 5 months ago #8

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Old Macy's Account

Macy's is very forgiving, in fact, if you make an offer to pay off or on your old account, they will reopen a new one for you if you abide by the repayment terms. I know this to be true from personal experience.

I've heard this too. That is great that you got a new Macy's!
15 years 5 months ago #9

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Old Macy's Account

15 years 5 months ago #10

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Old Macy's Account

DeShoni, have you tried going for a pay for delete?
15 years 5 months ago #11

Gotcha! I was worried that they may try to do something sneaky like go out and sell it to a CA like alot of creditors do. I will keep watching though.....times are tough! Thanks!

I hear you, but you would totally have a case if they tried to pull that on you. Maybe if the amount is not too high you could ask about repaying the balance in order to get a new account.
15 years 5 months ago #12

Replied by DeShoni on topic Re: Old Macy's Account

Gotcha! I was worried that they may try to do something sneaky like go out and sell it to a CA like alot of creditors do. I will keep watching though.....times are tough! Thanks!
15 years 5 months ago #13

Hello All! I had an old Macy's account back in Oct. 2001 which was closed by them (lost my job and couldn't pay). Just recently, I applied for a new account with Macy's and was declined, thinking maybe it wouldn't show on my old records. My question is......Do you think they will try to re-post it on my credit report under a different CA? It is more than 7 years old

They cannot re-post it and if they do you have a lawsuit against them. If it is 7 years old it should be off your bureau by now; however, it is likely that Macy's can keep it in house for years. I know Nordstrom does.
15 years 5 months ago #14

Replied by DeShoni on topic Old Macy's Account

Hello All! I had an old Macy's account back in Oct. 2001 which was closed by them (lost my job and couldn't pay). Just recently, I applied for a new account with Macy's and was declined, thinking maybe it wouldn't show on my old records. My question is......Do you think they will try to re-post it on my credit report under a different CA? It is more than 7 years old.:scared: I am trying to re-build my credit. My fico is averaging around 650+ and don't want it to drop due to a new baddie of some sort. Feel me??
15 years 5 months ago #15