Is anybody else an Amazon.com junkie?

• Eldarwen
  • Eldarwen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Is anybody else an Amazon.com junkie?

Chase Freedom is a solid rewards card but by no means the best. It used to be a great card, but they just changed the rewards structure. Youdon't get the 3% back on your top catagories anymore, just 1% back. To me, it is not such a great card anymore. Looking at the chase website, it is rotating 3% back in certian categories. I hate to say it but the Discover More looking better by the day, they have 5% back on rotating catagories and 1.5% on everything else. But whatever floats anybody's boat. I do like to have selection or variety with my credit cards. Chase and Discover have gotten me quite far in rewards. On my Amazon.com card, I managed to get the new iPod Nano and a few books for free on the rewards alone. Most were Christmas gifts.
14 years 10 months ago #1

Replied by CG101 on topic Re: Is anybody else an Amazon.com junkie?

I have 7 cards total. I have a Sears Mastercard $2,100CL (no balance), Chase Freedom $5,000CL ($2,000 balance) Victoria's Secret Angels VIP $970CL (no balance), American Express Clear $500CL ($200 balance), BofA Accelerated Amex $2,000CL ($500 balance), Discover More $3,000CL ($1,000 balance), Chase Amazon.com Rewards Visa $1,000CL ($400 balance). A lot of my inquires really came after I got the Amazon.com Visa card. That put a ding in my credit score. My goal is to pay off my debt and get the ball rolling on just going the PIF route. Amex and my Amazon.com cards are the ones that I use the most, so they are on PIF.

Sounds like you are on a good path and you probably have your own personal plan to knock out your debt. Depending on your circumstances, you'll probably be done before the end of the year, if not sooner. Personally, I started and stayed in PIF land, as I didn't want to start the downward spiral with high interest. I will probably keep my WorldPoints for sometime before I ask them to upgrade me to a better BOA card. Chase Freedom I hear is an excellent card and I might try for them after my INQs are gone. Between that and the better scores, I should be able to get anything I want, but it's 70/30 for me.

Thank you for sharing, Eldarwen.
14 years 10 months ago #2
  • Eldarwen
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

I have 7 cards total. I have a Sears Mastercard $2,100CL (no balance), Chase Freedom $5,000CL ($2,000 balance) Victoria's Secret Angels VIP $970CL (no balance), American Express Clear $500CL ($200 balance), BofA Accelerated Amex $2,000CL ($500 balance), Discover More $3,000CL ($1,000 balance), Chase Amazon.com Rewards Visa $1,000CL ($400 balance). A lot of my inquires really came after I got the Amazon.com Visa card. That put a ding in my credit score. My goal is to pay off my debt and get the ball rolling on just going the PIF route. Amex and my Amazon.com cards are the ones that I use the most, so they are on PIF.
14 years 10 months ago #3

Replied by CG101 on topic Re: Amazon.com Visa

I don't have any car loans or morgages. What has helped my score is not going on an app spree and paying down my debt. I had 3 other credit cards before this one.

So all you have are those cards? Good deal. May I then ask what your limits are on each and what your current util is?

I really think it's great you have such a nice score with just CCs reporting.
14 years 10 months ago #4
  • Eldarwen
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Amazon.com Visa

You are where I'm trying to get to. May I ask what other things are on your CBs (loans, mortgages, other CCs, etc)? Trying to figure out myself if I got the right mix so that I can get to mid 7s by the end of the year? I take it you're not app spreeing at the moment? The Amazon would be a nice compliment to my B&N (I like reading, and the B&N by me is like when I used to go to the library as a kid, only I got a Starbucks...lmao

I don't have any car loans or morgages. What has helped my score is not going on an app spree and paying down my debt. I had 3 other credit cards before this one.
14 years 10 months ago #5

When I got the regular amazon.com visa my credit score was in the 730's. I got the regular one in Febuary of last year. When I upgraded a few weeks ago, there was no hard pull to do it. I think the criteria is that the account must be in good standing. I don't know what my fico's are now because I have not pulled my credit report. The last time I checked, my scores are in the low 700's. That was last year. I am not in the market for anything like a car or a house. I have to mention with the upgrade, that there is a cap and it is 60,000 points. With the regular card, there is no cap.

You are where I'm trying to get to. May I ask what other things are on your CBs (loans, mortgages, other CCs, etc)? Trying to figure out myself if I got the right mix so that I can get to mid 7s by the end of the year? I take it you're not app spreeing at the moment? The Amazon would be a nice compliment to my B&N (I like reading, and the B&N by me is like when I used to go to the library as a kid, only I got a Starbucks...lmao :) ).
14 years 10 months ago #6
  • Eldarwen
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Amazon.com Visa

There are people who would kill for half of $1000 with Chase! In fact $1K for me would be plenty as I have other cards in the 4 digit range (wasn't easy, but I finally got em). Do you know what your FICOs were and who they pulled when you got your Amazon? I'm gonna have to wait at least a year because of my INQs....

When I got the regular amazon.com visa my credit score was in the 730's. I got the regular one in Febuary of last year. When I upgraded a few weeks ago, there was no hard pull to do it. I think the criteria is that the account must be in good standing. I don't know what my fico's are now because I have not pulled my credit report. The last time I checked, my scores are in the low 700's. That was last year. I am not in the market for anything like a car or a house. I have to mention with the upgrade, that there is a cap and it is 60,000 points. With the regular card, there is no cap.
14 years 10 months ago #7

I am wondering how many people here besides me has an Amazon.com Visa by Chase? There is an upgrade for this card that has no annual fee, your number and history stays the same but the reward structure is different. It's called the Amazon.com Rewards Visa. You still get the 3 points for every dollar spent on Amazon but you get 2 points for every dollar spent on dining, gas and drugstore purchases, then 1 point for everything else. For the 1st 90 days you get double the points. You can redeem the points that you have gotten for many different things like plane tickets and other things. I was taking a peek at the credit board forums to see what was happening, and saw the thread about it. I did get the card and loving it even more. I just wish that Chase would raise my limit without a hard. I think that my $1,000 limit won't get me anywhere.

There are people who would kill for half of $1000 with Chase! In fact $1K for me would be plenty as I have other cards in the 4 digit range (wasn't easy, but I finally got em). Do you know what your FICOs were and who they pulled when you got your Amazon? I'm gonna have to wait at least a year because of my INQs.... :( But I wanna get ready for a nice card. I just finished consolidated all of my cards and I'm down to two CCs from at one point 5 cards (two of them "rebuilders" that would not let up on the AF, even though I told them I was as serious as a heart attack that I will close them). Do you know what your FICOs are now?
14 years 10 months ago #8
  • Eldarwen
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Amazon.com Visa

I am wondering how many people here besides me has an Amazon.com Visa by Chase? There is an upgrade for this card that has no annual fee, your number and history stays the same but the reward structure is different. It's called the Amazon.com Rewards Visa. You still get the 3 points for every dollar spent on Amazon but you get 2 points for every dollar spent on dining, gas and drugstore purchases, then 1 point for everything else. For the 1st 90 days you get double the points. You can redeem the points that you have gotten for many different things like plane tickets and other things. I was taking a peek at the credit board forums to see what was happening, and saw the thread about it. I did get the card and loving it even more. I just wish that Chase would raise my limit without a hard. I think that my $1,000 limit won't get me anywhere.
14 years 10 months ago #9
15 years 5 months ago #10
  • Eldarwen
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

It is the Amazon Prime program. It's somewhere on Amazon. The program is $79 per year, but when you sink $1,000 or more a year at Amazon, it pays off. You can get overnight shipping for $3.99. It has saved my but a few times when I needed to get a book for school or forgot a birthday.
15 years 5 months ago #11

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Is anybody else an Amazon.com junkie?

I have the free two day shipping with Amazon. I never know when I am going to be at an electronics store.

How do you get that?
15 years 5 months ago #12
  • Eldarwen
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

I have the free two day shipping with Amazon. I never know when I am going to be at an electronics store.
15 years 5 months ago #13

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Is anybody else an Amazon.com junkie?

I'd rather go buy an item from the store if there's not a big difference in price when compared to the prices online. I don't like waiting 7-10 business days knowing that I can buy the same item from my local electronics store.
15 years 5 months ago #14

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Is anybody else an Amazon.com junkie?

With the shipping/handling (if any) you might as well go to the store. They do have free shipping on some items during xmas, I would check that first.
15 years 5 months ago #15