Old Navy Visa

Replied by FrankN on topic Store cards are good if paid in full within the billing cycle

Most store credit cards can be used anywhere. Unless you shop there a lot, I usually advise against them.
1 year 7 months ago #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by JacksonM on topic Store cards are good if paid in full within the billing cycle

I had store cards as "starter" credit cards. Like some have said before, it's harder to do too much damage. At this point, I suppose I technically have a store card, though it's also a Mastercard that I can use anywhere. I've also held onto it for the perks. Sometimes I get an extra discount at the store, but the point system, in general, is also pretty good.
1 year 8 months ago #2

Replied by JGibbs on topic Store cards are good if paid in full within the billing cycle

willkarter wrote: I have a couple of dept. store cards that I use regularly just for the perks. I do manage to pay them off each month simply because of the interest rate. It's a game. Play the game, get the perks, pay the bill. Vicious cycle isn't it?
In between anyone has tried Walmart card ? Am thinking to apply for it?

Welcome to the forum, willkarter! I had the Walmart credit card back when gas was $5 a gallon because I wanted the gas discount. The interest rate was higher than any other card I had at the time. It was convenient to pay off each month since I could pay the bill in the store while getting groceries. I canceled the card when I stopped shopping there. I noticed your link leads to mycreditcardguide.org. Do you run that site?
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by JGibbs.
1 year 8 months ago #3

Replied by Lexie on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

JGibbs wrote:

Lexie wrote: I have a couple of dept. store cards that I use regularly just for the perks. I do manage to pay them off each month simply because of the interest rate. It's a game. Play the game, get the perks, pay the bill. Vicious cycle isn't it?

Are the perks worth it for store cards, Lexie? I play the points game too but maybe this kind is safer since you can't run up a store card when there's an "emergency" whether real or imagined.

I suppose the points game is about the same. I do like to give gift certificates to certain stores and I can put that cost on my store card as well. However, you can do that with any major credit card too. It's 6 of one and half dozen of the other. :)
2 years 3 months ago #4

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

I have a Kohl's card and I find that oftentimes the cashier will give me an extra discount even if I don't use my card. It doesn't have a huge limit, so I can't do much damage, but it does come in handy for the additional discounts.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by FrugalFran.
2 years 3 months ago #5

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

Yes, I quit store cards last year closing my final two of JC Penney and Kohls.
2 years 3 months ago #6

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

I quit store cards a long time ago. I couldn't justify them.
2 years 3 months ago #7

Replied by JGibbs on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

Lexie wrote: I have a couple of dept. store cards that I use regularly just for the perks. I do manage to pay them off each month simply because of the interest rate. It's a game. Play the game, get the perks, pay the bill. Vicious cycle isn't it?

Are the perks worth it for store cards, Lexie? I play the points game too but maybe this kind is safer since you can't run up a store card when there's an "emergency" whether real or imagined.
2 years 3 months ago #8

Replied by Lexie on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

I have a couple of dept. store cards that I use regularly just for the perks. I do manage to pay them off each month simply because of the interest rate. It's a game. Play the game, get the perks, pay the bill. Vicious cycle isn't it?
2 years 3 months ago #9

Replied by patse on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

I don't have one of these cards. I don't shop there enough. I do agree that the APR is a lot higher when you have store credit cards. If you shop there enough, get the card. They usually have a lot of perks.
3 years 3 months ago #10

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

Usually store credit cards only make sense if you spend a lot at that particular store. The APRs are generally as bad (or worse) than other credit cards, and the rewards only rack up if you spend a lot of money at that store.
3 years 4 months ago #11

Replied by patse on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

I have a couple of store credit cards. I will only get one if the perks are amazing. The interest rates are usually high so the perks have to be great. I like the ones where you earn money to spend in the store.
3 years 5 months ago #12

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

I'd be interested to know about rewards or perks for this, too. I wonder if they do points to earn money to spend in the store.
3 years 6 months ago #13

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

That's really great. I do a lot of shopping there and have always thought about applying for a store card. Their CL seems very generous. I would like to know if the ARP is the same as other store cards and what type of perks this card offers?
3 years 6 months ago #14

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Old Navy Visa

On a whim applied in store and got approved for Old Navy Visa with CL of $1,000. First store card branded with Visa/Mastercard.....(what did the Jeffersons say???? ---- {sings} "Movin' On Up!!

Awesome! You are "movin' on up". Congrats! Totally cool.
5 years 10 months ago #15