Carrying the AMEX platinum and Preferred Rewards Cards

• smcc811
  • smcc811's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by smcc811 on topic Re: Carrying the AMEX platinum and Preferred Rewards Cards

Hi HJM331:

Has been awhile, hasn't it ? Hope things are well with you. Have been pushing 99% of my purchases through AMEX for the last 5 years and my spending limit has increased over time. The Rewards are good as they have paid for numerous trips. When you combine the perks of the two cards they are hard to beat, but like anything its with cost.

People who carry both like the options they are confronted with , just trying to gauge the thought process of members at FG regarding this scenario.
10 years 10 months ago #1

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Carrying the AMEX platinum and Preferred Rewards Cards

If you can take advantage of the rewards, then go for it. If not, then stay away. AMEX has been losing its prestige ever since they started cutting credit lines left and right.
10 years 10 months ago #2
  • smcc811
  • smcc811's Avatar Topic Author

was created by smcc811

Done some research regarding carrying both the AMEX platinum and Preferred Rewards Gold cards. Besides the AF ( $625 combined ) most say that its worth the investment. Considering the competition between cards there have been some who feel that in the current climate that AMEX is overrated with the exception of their Customer Service.

I feel that if you travel at least 3 times a year the Platinum's AF pays for itself. The Preferred Rewards is a no brainer as far as points and exclusive access to certain perks.

So taking the AF off the table would you carry both ?

Thanks !
10 years 10 months ago #3