Using a Card For Rewards?

Replied by smcc811 on topic Re: Using a Card For Rewards?

Ok guys, need some advice. By years end I will have at least 130K points for my AMEX card. Can I redeem these points for AMEX gift cards and get a 1 to 1 ratio or $1300 worth of gift cards, is it better to use for airline tickets where I know I get a 1 to 1 ratio, use for hotel rooms where I know I'll be bending over at the ankles or just let them continue to accure ? Obviously I'm looking for the best bang for the buck here... :cheesing:
12 years 5 months ago #1

Replied by hjm331 on topic I have the BofA AMEX

I have the BofA AMEX with WorldPoints rewards. I receive 1 point for every dollar spent. I went through the WorldPoints Mall to see what stores offer bonus points. Staples offered 4 bonus points for every $1. I made a purchase of $70 and I got the 70 points but when am I supposed to receive the bonus points? I accessed the Staples website through the WorldPoints Mall website.
15 years 11 months ago #2

Replied by alpha on topic About the number of points

About the number of points for a free ticket going up, the airline frequent flyer cards do that too. Although usually what they do is restrict the availalbe flights. I think most of it does have to do with the increased cost of fuel and the problems all airlines seem to be having. So you might be better off to just take the money if you can get cash!
15 years 11 months ago #3

Replied by hjm331 on topic They probably that comment she

They probably that comment she made about someone here on FG. I forgot who it was about. lol
15 years 11 months ago #4

Replied by Meya on topic I hope so Meya...also did

I hope so Meya...also did u call Hooters and get a CLI? or was it a auto CLI?

Sorry Eric, I did not see this posting, it was a auto cli. I wonder what is taking Pam so long to get hers, she was right behind me with the approval.
:worried: :worried: :worried:
15 years 11 months ago #5
  • eric
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by eric on topic Maybe Eric or Meya can

Maybe Eric or Meya can answer this one. I have 36,000 points and went shopping at Bank of America's site for a round trip ticket. I was still under the impression that 25,000 points got you a free round trip ticket within the continental U.S.. Come to find out that if your looking to leave at a specific time that it might cost you more than 25,000 points. They had flights that took upwards of 39,000 points to take advantage of. Called BOA and they blamed the increased points needed based on the cost of jet fuel. They also said that the points needed fluctuate daily and one day it could be more or less points needed. Hopefully Eric or Meya can explain this................

I dont work in the travel department but I always told customers that flights start at 25000 world points...the rep was right, some days those points needed can fluctuate which is kind of stupid but I guess its the way it is...I would call and make a decision on whether you are spending too many points on a flight, if so...call back the next day. or redeem it for cash...its worth $350 cash
15 years 11 months ago #6

Replied by Eldarwen on topic I do use my cards

I do use my cards for points, but I have to worry about paying them down (I have about $2,000 in credit card debt). I like to use my Chase Freedom or my Amazon.com card because they have the best point system that works for me.
15 years 11 months ago #7

Replied by Meya on topic Let me throw this in....

Let me throw this in.... BLACK OUT DATES WILL GET YA EVERYTIME!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

smcc, I never had a reward card, all i have is subprimed. The only reward card that I have is Travelocity, and i can't even afford to fly out of California with the limit they gave me....$500. So that means, forget the points....lol. I will let Eric come in on this one. I think they did you so totaly wrong. Ouch!
:scared: :scared: :scared:
15 years 11 months ago #8

Replied by smcc on topic Maybe Eric or Meya can

Maybe Eric or Meya can answer this one. I have 36,000 points and went shopping at Bank of America's site for a round trip ticket. I was still under the impression that 25,000 points got you a free round trip ticket within the continental U.S.. Come to find out that if your looking to leave at a specific time that it might cost you more than 25,000 points. They had flights that took upwards of 39,000 points to take advantage of. Called BOA and they blamed the increased points needed based on the cost of jet fuel. They also said that the points needed fluctuate daily and one day it could be more or less points needed. Hopefully Eric or Meya can explain this................
15 years 11 months ago #9

Replied by lndbar5 on topic I love my Capital One

I love my Capital One card! I have the "my rewards" card and i use this card for all my monthly expenses. It has no annual fee, it has low interest (if you choose to leave a balance on it), and the rewards I like are the miles for airline tickets. Very user friendly! I used to have a Visa WorldPerks Card. Very hard to get a plane ticket, had an annual fee, and it had pretty high interest rates for balances.
I switched over to Capital One and have a free ticket already.
15 years 11 months ago #10

Replied by Meya on topic Hey Meya I used to

Hey Meya I used to live in the East Bay (Hayward) and try to come back once or twice a year. When I get back to the Bay Area I use my CC to make all purchases and use those points to save up for my next trip.

That sounds pretty smart to me Neighbor! I think we have a member here from Hayward, Tracy, I do believe. FG is bringing neighbood OG's back together again....lmao!
16 years 1 week ago #11

Replied by Meya on topic hope so Meya...also did u

hope so Meya...also did u call Hooters and get a CLI? or was it a auto CLI?

When I pulled my credit report, it was there. I did not even know I had one!
16 years 1 week ago #12

Replied by lyyssa01 on topic Thanks, Smcc. When we get

Thanks, Smcc. When we get the NFCU card in the mail we'll call Citi and try out the product change. We've never been late, and have been good customers with Citi. I'll wait until the summer to attempt my own product change.
16 years 1 week ago #13

Replied by smcc on topic I have switched and been

I have switched and been upgraded through Bank of America a few times and they based the switch/upgrade on my payment history with the card I had before the upgrade/switch. I would assume that if CITI thought you were on the "bubble" that they would take into account your credit score and possible household income but if not you payment history with them should be sufficient
16 years 1 week ago #14

Replied by lyyssa01 on topic I've done my research, and

I've done my research, and I think sometime this summer I'll be converting my plain jane Citi Platinum to a Citi Drivers Edge. In the fall I will have to commute an hour and a half one way, and I need a card that is going to reward me for all the gas I'll be putting in the car. From what I've read the Drivers' Edge gives you rebates on maintaining your car as well as a reimbursement when you purchase another vehicle. I need something like that! I'm thinking about having my husband convert his Citi Dividend card as well. Right now that's the card he uses all the time, but when his NFCU cc comes, he'll be switching to that and using the Citi for gas only.

So does anyone have any product switching experience? I don't, and my husband didn't even know you could do such a thing. Is it difficult? Do they have to do a hard pull? Because I'm clueless.
16 years 1 week ago #15