Carry Balances-Good or Bad?

• hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Carry Balances-Good or Bad?

Make sure you pay it off before the promo ends or else they're going to charge you interest from day one.
15 years 4 months ago #16

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Carry Balances-Good or Bad?

Me too, Sleep Number baaaaby! They are done in January 2009
15 years 4 months ago #17
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

It all depends on your interest rate. I love taking advantages of no interest promotions.
15 years 4 months ago #18

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Carry Balances-Good or Bad?

That's just plain horrible, but back to the subject. I believe any revolving debt is not a good idea, unless its 0% interest. I recently took a hard look at my credit card statements and the portion going towards finance charges is just down right ridiculous. Good thing I've caught it in enough time to do something about, otherwise I would have bought the items I put on them 4X over. Interest isn't a big deal on a small balance, but anything over $500, I would avoid it at all costs, no matter how tempting.
15 years 4 months ago #19
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

I heard about the Wal-Mart employee getting killed in New York when Wal-Mart opened their doors in the morning for Black Friday. The employee was knocked to the floor and people literally ran over him and he was killed at the spot. There were also 4 others injured including a pregnant woman who lost her baby because she was pushed to the floor. I can't believe how people act and the put others' lives in danger just to save a couple dollars.
15 years 4 months ago #20

Ok guys its the day after Black Friday. Do you think America went out and purchased, and if they did, what percentage paid cash, what percentage pulled out the plastic and what percentage put it in layaway?

Black Friday! Whatever, I did not see anything on sale as I always have with a coupon. The only thing that I notice on that day was that "I" was Black, and I lived to see another Friday! I don't see what was so spacial about the Walmart sale, did you hear about the worker being trampled on and killed?

By the way, I spent debit all the way through because I did not see any reason to owe debt to any other goods.
15 years 4 months ago #21
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Well, I think that most people paid with plastic, some paid with cash, and since not all stores offer the layaway option, a few went with the layaway option.
15 years 4 months ago #22

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Carry Balances-Good or Bad?

Ok guys its the day after Black Friday. Do you think America went out and purchased, and if they did, what percentage paid cash, what percentage pulled out the plastic and what percentage put it in layaway? :dumbfounded:
15 years 4 months ago #23

Agree also, but then again I have to disagree when it comes to the higher increase with zero balances. Actually they will increase the one who carries a balance for a couple of months faster than they would someone who doesn't, because the one who carries the balance for the couple of months, are the ones the banks are making the money from. They want you to spend more so they can make more, a balance of (for example) $700 for 2 or 3 months, looks good to them because they are putting some money in their pockets. I am pretty sure they thank the ones who carry a $0 balance at all times, but they are really shaking the ones hands who carry the balance even more. If you think I am lying, just asks Amex, they are slicing the $0 balance people like crazy :laugh: :laugh:
15 years 4 months ago #24
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

I agree with smcc! :white-flag:
15 years 4 months ago #25

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Carry Balances-Good or Bad?

Now I know the current economy has nothing to do with FICO and their current scoring system but anyone who can keep a zero balance or someone who can pay off there balance every month should be entitled to a higher increase in score than someone who is carrying a small balance every month, i.e. (1 - 3 %) of total limit.

Then again, anyone who has a zero balance and can sustain that has either come to grips with the current economic situation and realize that a zero balance is everything when not knowing if you will be working tomorrow or not
15 years 4 months ago #26

11/26/2008**** Waiting for you Thomas1:white-flag:
15 years 4 months ago #27

Replied by Tynece on topic Re: Carry Balances-Good or Bad?

I totally agree hjm!!! I was shocked I kid you not his score went up with a higher balance. Everything else is the same I can assure you. With me let me tell you what equifax did. My score wentdown 40 points because they stopped reporting me as an auth user on my fiances account. the other agencies still have me reporting. Maybe the piggyback ban thing is in effect for equifax. I wish I knew someone who worked for them. My score then increased after I put on a lock and disputed some inquires I did not initiate myself. But I honestly still can not understand how his score went up when his utilization went up.
15 years 10 months ago #28
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

I learned something crazy today and maybe it is just a one time thing or maybe not. Anyway my fiance has equifax score watch. His score increased by 20 points for increasing his debt to income ratio from 8% to 10%. We thought that having a 0 blance would make our scores higher but actually showing that you have some debt can actually help your score. Or maybe like I said this could just be a one time thing. Anyone know

Equifax is trippin'! There's no way that that's possible. Have a $0 balance indeed DOES increase your FICO score.
15 years 10 months ago #29

No, I have not seen this, but i am pretty sure that scores increase from you having a balance in order to show that you pay well and on-time. History and zero balances is not the only factor that the fico scoring system is functioning on.
15 years 10 months ago #30