Blacklist Duration

Replied by classy75 on topic Re: Blacklist Duration

The only time the statue of limitations can be reset on a charged off account is if the consumer makes a payment or arrangements to make payments, as far as reporting old information past 7 years, they are in violation of FCRA rules, a company can "LEGALLY" try to collect on an old debt, but its unlawful for them to report or to sue after the statue of limitations has ran out!

Thanks, patrick12. I am sure she will sleeping better knowing this.
11 years 11 months ago #1

Replied by patrick12 on topic Re: Blacklist Duration

The only time the statue of limitations can be reset on a charged off account is if the consumer makes a payment or arrangements to make payments, as far as reporting old information past 7 years, they are in violation of FCRA rules, a company can "LEGALLY" try to collect on an old debt, but its unlawful for them to report or to sue after the statue of limitations has ran out!
11 years 11 months ago #2

Replied by classy75 on topic Re: Blacklist Duration

I can tell you this with certainty...my mother filed for bankruptcy back in 1987 with one of the creditors being Citibank. 20+ years later, she applied for one of their cards and she received a declined letter because she had filed bankruptcy against them in the past. Some creditors hold on to that information forever it appears.

A friend of mine received a pre-approved offer in the mail from Credit One in her maiden name. Although hesitate, she decided to accept the offer inspite of the fees because she is trying to rebuild her credit. She was given the option to update her name online. She accepted the offer online and was immediately notified that the offer was pending and that additional information was needed. She called the number listed and was asked a few questions by the rep. The rep then informed her that she was declined for the card because she had a previous account with them. She attempted to ask questions, but was told that the rep. could not answer any and he proceeded to transfer her to an account manager. She hung the phone up as she did not remember ever having an account with Credit One. I researched Credit One and found out that the bank use to be named the First Bank of Marin. She thinks that she may have had an account with them about 10 or twelve years ago. My question to all of you credit gurus, if that is the case, can they place this information back on her credit report and start collections based on her new application. Please help.
11 years 11 months ago #3

Replied by brent91055 on topic Re: Blacklist Duration

So there IS a blacklist! I have been searching all over to get some info on this.

My story (similar to many)

I can tell you this with certainty...my mother filed for bankruptcy back in 1987 with one of the creditors being Citibank. 20+ years later, she applied for one of their cards and she received a declined letter because she had filed bankruptcy against them in the past. Some creditors hold on to that information forever it appears.
11 years 11 months ago #4

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Blacklist Duration

So there IS a blacklist! I have been searching all over to get some info on this.

As to internal records... yes to at least some. FIA Card Services (Bank of America), American Express, Citi Bank, Capital One, Wells Fargo and Discover Bank look back many years. I speak with experience. Because one cleans up their credit and records (including removing BK's) is not a guarantee that former creditors will give you new credit. Some did for me and some did not.
12 years 1 month ago #5
  • Nuovocapitolo
  • Nuovocapitolo's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Nuovocapitolo on topic Re: Blacklist Duration

I don't know how to answer your question. I have enough credit and can do without the majors that won't deal with me. Although there is nothing on my credit report, they themselves have record of the debt and I don't want to open pandora's box with them. I would just stay clear of them.
12 years 1 month ago #6

Replied by Ali6 on topic Re: Blacklist Duration

My story (similar to many): I had great credit back in late 90's. Had most of the major cards, dept store & gas. In 2003, it all came crashing down when I was out of work for a couple of years. I had originally opened the cards in FL, then moved to CA (for that job that went bust). I went delinquent in CA, moved back to FL. No one came after me. I was not hiding, had new address on FL DL, utilities, etc. But I did not give a forwarding address to credit cards. Figured they find me eventually. I got lucky, tho.

So fast forward to today, the SOL has passed and all of the bad credit has fallen off my credit report (over 7 years). I did not declare BK. So my credit report shows nothing, good or bad.

I am trying to build credit as I would like to buy a house in a year or two. If I apply with one of these companies that I "stiffed", do they have internal records that they check (in addition to the CR)? Will they now try to reinstate my old debt? Appreciate any insight and suggestions.

Thanks
12 years 1 month ago #7

Replied by JELOPEZ88 on topic Re: Blacklist Duration

At least I know from my experiences when I was in my twenties and not so responsible about credit, sometimes after a few years have passed, some former creditors may decide to take you back. I had an AMEX green card account and a Visa card from First Card (First National bank of Omaha). I also had other several credit card accounts with balances at or just below the credit limit. After almost four years of unrestrained charging, the balances reached a point where I was having trouble making the monthly payments. About the time I realized I was over extended, I became unemployed. While I was unemployed, I started attending a local college with a goal of earning a degree thinking my creditors would wait for their payments. (Yeah, I was also a bit immature)

Needless to say, my former creditors were not down with this option and proceeded to close my accounts and turn them over to collections after some of them went over 180 days past due. These actions caused my "house of cards" to come crashing down around my ears with collections agencies nipping at my heels. I filed for bankruptcy (Chapter 7) and all of the debts were dismissed. My credit report was in shambles.

Fast forward ten years later, I have since then mended my ways and am much more mature about finances. About two years ago, AMEX offered me a green card account almost over a decade later after they closed my other two former accounts. I believe one of their former requirements to be considered for opening an account with them was if a person had an card with them in the past, it would have to have been a positive experience. It looks like AMEX lowered the bar in view of the economic times. Even more recent, they made the "Pay over time" option available on my Gold account; something they offer only their "best" customers. :cheesing:
12 years 2 months ago #8

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Blacklist Duration

How long does a credior usually black list you for a bad debt? A few majors won't deal with me and wondering if that will ever go away.

You ask a very good question. Unfortunately there is no one right answer. Every creditor has their own way of dealing with things. Example, American Express does not like BK's and likely will be tough to ever get a card from once they are part of a BK. Another tough one is First National Bank of Omaha and JP Morgan Chase as they even ask is your background free of bankruptcy? Discover Card has been very conservative but of late, has been more open since the summer of 2011 to those of us with tarnished pasts to include bankruptcy. November 2010 Discover would NOT issue cards to those of us with BK's. Now they are...

The long and short of it is "economic conditions", attitudes on what they want for card holders (quality - check AX everything almost says excelllent credit) and they achieve this through their "risk scoring models". Citi Cards has gone through a conservative period but has been more flexible of late. Bank of America/FIA Card Services is being very conservative since they have so many challenges right now to include spinning off their "Affinity" Cards along with FIA Card Services to US Bank's Elan Card Services. Where they end up is a question. Some lendors on the FG site have been consisitent and only issue to good or excellent credit risks. All other risks will not get approved. Like many of the questions there is no real standardized base as everyone offers credit based on their situations at any given time.
12 years 2 months ago #9
  • Nuovocapitolo
  • Nuovocapitolo's Avatar Topic Author

was created by Nuovocapitolo

How long does a credior usually black list you for a bad debt? A few majors won't deal with me and wondering if that will ever go away.
12 years 2 months ago #10