Walmart Cards Help!

Replied by classy75 on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

You are welcome and it is truly my pleasure. I had to do this work all myself and it took me years, well decades, to find the keys that opened the world of credit to me. I get as much out of seeing others be rewarded as I do myself. It is much more of a marathon than it is a sprint to get your report cleaned up, to have the "banks" recognize your hard work and to be rewarded. You and your husband are well on your way to the VA refinance and in time, the major credit card companies will see that and be knocking on your door to invite you to the party. It is a very good feeling to be recognized, to get the CL increases and watch the negativity drop off both of your credit reports. Keep doing what you've been doing classy, I am happy I can help.

I appreciate your willingness to help those of us who are just starting out on this journey. I have been putting your advice to the test in more ways than one. I have actually been able to pass some of it on to some friends and it worked for them as well. Bad things happen to good people sometimes and I am grateful for another chance. I was a single parent for many years and as a result of a series of event, my credit suffered. I was never proud of that, but I never realized the possiblity of rebuilding my credit until I stumbled upon this site a few months back. I had done some small things, but I found out so much by just reading through the posts. Many have moved on here and are not as vigilant in helping some of us out, so I appreciate your willingness to interact with us on a regular basis.
:thumbsup:
11 years 10 months ago #1

Replied by SCuser on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

Keep up the good work classy and your advice about the Orchard account to SCuser was accurate as well. You are learning quite a bit on here...stay with it...I have now gotten to the point where I receive pre-approved offers. I still see the apply or pre-selected, but pre-approvals make me smile! They will find their way to you in time...another milestone and reward for your finance work...

Thanks for the updates....I actually went back to check and my rates for that orchard card was 14.9% with cash at 19.9%, and cash portion is the full $700 too, so I guess I can't complain as those rates are far better than the GE cards.
11 years 10 months ago #2

Replied by MrVoiceGuy on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

Mr. VoiceGuy,

Thanks for all of your wonderful advice. It worked. I have my utility rate down to about 15% right now. As soon as all of my payments hit the bureaus, it will go down to about 9%. I have a sense of accomplishment, but there is still work to be done. I have to wait it out on the inquiries dropping off, but I have been able to dispute some items successfully on my reports just by reading through the posts and following advice given on here. I have a good mix of cards, but I still need a major credit card with a decent limit. However, I am on the road to growing the cards that I have. I got my husband's reports almost clean. There are just three more paid medical collections that I am disputing. There were four, but one got deleted. I need to get his scores up a few more points for the VA refinance we are seeking. Again, thank you for the help with my Legacy Visa Card. You rock!!

You are welcome and it is truly my pleasure. I had to do this work all myself and it took me years, well decades, to find the keys that opened the world of credit to me. I get as much out of seeing others be rewarded as I do myself. It is much more of a marathon than it is a sprint to get your report cleaned up, to have the "banks" recognize your hard work and to be rewarded. You and your husband are well on your way to the VA refinance and in time, the major credit card companies will see that and be knocking on your door to invite you to the party. It is a very good feeling to be recognized, to get the CL increases and watch the negativity drop off both of your credit reports. Keep doing what you've been doing classy, I am happy I can help.
11 years 10 months ago #3

Keep up the good work classy and your advice about the Orchard account to SCuser was accurate as well. You are learning quite a bit on here...stay with it...I have now gotten to the point where I receive pre-approved offers. I still see the apply or pre-selected, but pre-approvals make me smile! They will find their way to you in time...another milestone and reward for your finance work...

Mr. VoiceGuy,

Thanks for all of your wonderful advice. It worked. I have my utility rate down to about 15% right now. As soon as all of my payments hit the bureaus, it will go down to about 9%. I have a sense of accomplishment, but there is still work to be done. I have to wait it out on the inquiries dropping off, but I have been able to dispute some items successfully on my reports just by reading through the posts and following advice given on here. I have a good mix of cards, but I still need a major credit card with a decent limit. However, I am on the road to growing the cards that I have. I got my husband's reports almost clean. There are just three more paid medical collections that I am disputing. There were four, but one got deleted. I need to get his scores up a few more points for the VA refinance we are seeking. Again, thank you for the help with my Legacy Visa Card. You rock!!!:thumbsup:
11 years 11 months ago #4

Just to further clarify, when I first applied for the Chevron/Texaco card I got denied. However, the CSR told me to wait 60 days and reapply. I waited 55 days, reapplied and they approved me with a 750.00 limit. I followed advice given here and it worked. After that, my Legacy Visa Card finally gave me an increase of 250. That's the biggest increase I have ever gotten from them at any given time. I am coming up on my 4 month increases for JC Penney, Belks and PayPal Smart Connect. I will keep you all informed.

11 years 11 months ago #5

Hey Classy,

I'm reading your reply above and notice that I opened the same exact cards. You must be from the South with a Belks. But I do have Belks, JC Penney, Paypal connect, and Od Navy with GEMB. I tried Shell (Citi), and once that was approved, Citi also approved me for Exxon/Mobil. I have family in California and drive there a lot so both cards help. I also have a BofA just approved, and Capital one along with Capital One Sparks Business. I closed out Best Buy MC and Household MC as both have $59 annual fees.

I do have a question for the FG family. I have opened my Orchard MC for 5 years now CL started at $300 and now at $700. It seems they don't do CLI beyond $700 and with the $59 annual fee I want to close this CC. Should I or shouldn't I?

I do have plenty of available credit, it's just this was one of my first cards. It would be an emotional decision for me, therefore, I feel you guys could give me a better answer than my own.

Just to further clarify, when I first applied for the Chevron/Texaco card I got denied. However, the CSR told me to wait 60 days and reapply. I waited 55 days, reapplied and they approved me with a 750.00 limit. I followed advice given here and it worked. After that, my Legacy Visa Card finally gave me an increase of 250. That's the biggest increase I have ever gotten from them at any given time. I am coming up on my 4 month increases for JC Penney, Belks and PayPal Smart Connect. I will keep you all informed.
11 years 11 months ago #6

Hey Classy,

I'm reading your reply above and notice that I opened the same exact cards. You must be from the South with a Belks. But I do have Belks, JC Penney, Paypal connect, and Od Navy with GEMB. I tried Shell (Citi), and once that was approved, Citi also approved me for Exxon/Mobil. I have family in California and drive there a lot so both cards help. I also have a BofA just approved, and Capital one along with Capital One Sparks Business. I closed out Best Buy MC and Household MC as both have $59 annual fees.

I do have a question for the FG family. I have opened my Orchard MC for 5 years now CL started at $300 and now at $700. It seems they don't do CLI beyond $700 and with the $59 annual fee I want to close this CC. Should I or shouldn't I?

I do have plenty of available credit, it's just this was one of my first cards. It would be an emotional decision for me, therefore, I feel you guys could give me a better answer than my own.

I am from the south, Florida to be exact. I applied for Shell, but it was a no go. However, Chevron/Texaco showed me some love. I really wish I could get an in with Citibank. Now I have to wait a little while before I apply for credit again.

I am not an expert at this, but if the Orchard MC is one of the older cards, you may want to hold on to it because of the account age. I understand your concern, however. I would advise you to see how some of the heavy weights on here weigh in (wanderer, patrick12, just to reference a few) before you make a decision.
11 years 11 months ago #7

Replied by SCuser on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

Interesting and scary. I am just really starting to get to a point where I am being accepted for credit again. There was a period of time that I would not apply for anything because the answer was always no. I applied for the Walmart Card and thought they would deny my application, but low and behold, I got an instant approval for a 500.00 limit. My current balance is 29.00 with them. I have applied for other GECB produts, I got approved for a Penney's Card, Belks and PayPal Smart Connect. I also got denied for a Chevron Gas Card, a Dillard's Card and a BOA Card. I am waiting on a decision from Capital One. I know, I got too happy and I have slowed it all the way down. I hope I haven't shot myself in the toe with all the inquiries. I now realize rebuilding is not an overnight thing. I had a Legacy Visa Card for three years and the limit is only 450.00. I have always paid on time and more than the minimum amount. The limit started at 250. Not to mention, the fees are kind of ridiculous. I have been learning a lot by reading posts on this forum. Thanks for your much needed insight. I welcome any advice that you can give me.

Hey Classy,

11 years 11 months ago #8

Thank you for your input. It is very encouraging.

My pleasure classy...I look forward to the posts when you are celebrating your higher CL and prime cards!
12 years 6 days ago #9

I will give you something to look forward to. Five or so years ago, when I received the card, I was very happy to have received credit. I was happy to pay the fees and the high interest rate. Now to the present, I do not even use this card. It sits in a drawer only taking up space. I have moved my scores to the point where I will be moving to other cards, with no fees, a lower interest rate and more perks. You can do it too, of this there is not doubt. All you need to do is keep doing what you have been doing and believe in yourself.

Thank you for your input. It is very encouraging.
12 years 1 week ago #10

I so agree. I am doing everything right. If they increase my limit, they increase me. If they don't, they don't. I am not signing up for their club.

I will give you something to look forward to. Five or so years ago, when I received the card, I was very happy to have received credit. I was happy to pay the fees and the high interest rate. Now to the present, I do not even use this card. It sits in a drawer only taking up space. I have moved my scores to the point where I will be moving to other cards, with no fees, a lower interest rate and more perks. You can do it too, of this there is not doubt. All you need to do is keep doing what you have been doing and believe in yourself.
12 years 1 week ago #11

No, I am not a member and frankly, I do not believe in "paying" for CLI consideration. I have not been approached with an upsell on their membership with the exception of the bill mailers. For you to have to pay, instead of your payment record speaking for itself is flat out wrong and it does not guarantee any CLI, just that you would merit "consideration." To me, that is nothing more than an unneeded expense, especially when you are trying to rebuild. My advice is to pay early, pay more than the minimum and allow the passage of time to work for you.

I so agree. I am doing everything right. If they increase my limit, they increase me. If they don't, they don't. I am not signing up for their club.
12 years 2 weeks ago #12

Are you a member of the premium club? A CSR said that by being a member you will get more frequent CLI considerations. I am not a member.

No, I am not a member and frankly, I do not believe in "paying" for CLI consideration. I have not been approached with an upsell on their membership with the exception of the bill mailers. For you to have to pay, instead of your payment record speaking for itself is flat out wrong and it does not guarantee any CLI, just that you would merit "consideration." To me, that is nothing more than an unneeded expense, especially when you are trying to rebuild. My advice is to pay early, pay more than the minimum and allow the passage of time to work for you.
12 years 2 weeks ago #13

I wish I could tell you more or give you better advice on the card. My experience has been with multiple "sub-prime" cards like Legacy Visa, along with First Premier and Orchard. When I started out in 2005 my FICO was in the upper 400 to low 500 range. I am now in the upper 600 area and closing in on 700. In the last fifteen months I have moved my score well over 100 points by just being vigilant with my accounts. I have my bills paid online before the paper copies arrive in the mail. I have found the LV customer service group to be responsive, to be fair and very easy to work with. Stick with it.

Are you a member of the premium club? A CSR said that by being a member you will get more frequent CLI considerations. I am not a member.
12 years 3 weeks ago #14

I wonder what I am doing wrong. I have never been late and I always pay at least 3 times the min. payment. I recently requested a cli and was declined. They gave me an annual fee waiver to pacify me after I threatened to close my account. I have had my account since June 2009 and the credit limit is just 450.00. Any tips you may have are welcomed!

I wish I could tell you more or give you better advice on the card. My experience has been with multiple "sub-prime" cards like Legacy Visa, along with First Premier and Orchard. When I started out in 2005 my FICO was in the upper 400 to low 500 range. I am now in the upper 600 area and closing in on 700. In the last fifteen months I have moved my score well over 100 points by just being vigilant with my accounts. I have my bills paid online before the paper copies arrive in the mail. I have found the LV customer service group to be responsive, to be fair and very easy to work with. Stick with it.
12 years 3 weeks ago #15