Good Strategy to get higher CLI's

Replied by porgy1000 on topic It sounds like a good

It sounds like a good plan, however, there is no way to rush good credit, if you just pay your bills on time etc, thats all you have to do.

AGE of your credit accounts will raise your score and CL too. Time needs to pass besides use of credit

According to Fico rules, ok all 640 pages that I read

You need to have a minimum of a $5000 revolving trade line and it has to be open and used for 36 months in order to achive a HIGH FICO SCORE. Along with the usual other things of course, No lates, no chargeoffs, no BK etc.
16 years 2 months ago #16
  • hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Smcc, that's a good question

Smcc, that's a good question since my checking account is with Bank of America and I have a credut card with them. I'm not too worried about getting CLI's with Bank of America because all they want to see is a good and lengthy credit history. However, their banking and credit services are two different departments.

This would be a great idea with other credit cards.
16 years 2 months ago #17

Replied by smcc on topic I like your strategy HJM331

I like your strategy HJM331 but let me ask you this, If your a bank customer and you write a check to yourself and you deposit the check and pay your credit card back in "X" number of days and your checking and credit card account are with the same bank, do you not show a pattern over time? Now I can understand if your cc card is with bank (a) and your checking account is with bank (b) then that works perfectly but what about if its all with the same bank? Maybe the bank doesn't scrutinize that much when sending your statement in the mail summarizing all your accounts. Then again if your paying your card on time does it really matter if all the accounts are at the same bank?
16 years 2 months ago #18
  • hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

was created by hjm331

Alright everyone, I know that everyone is trying to get high CLI's in a short period of time. Well, here's a strategy that SHOULD help you receive a good chunk of CLI.

As you may have seen before, when you are approved for a new credit card and once you receive it, in the envelope isn't only your credit card. It also comes with a few checks that you can write to whoever you like.

My concept is to write a check to yourself and deposit it into your bank account. Wait about 2 weeks, then pay it back to the credit card that you wrote the check from. For example, I receive purchase checks from Capital One all the time. I am going to write a check to myself for $500. I am going to deposit this into my checking account the next business day. I will NOT spend a penny from that money. I will wait 2 weeks, and give that $500 back to them the same way I took it. The creditor will think that you have spent the $500 and you are paying them back. This will "prove" to them that you can handle big balances and they will reward you with a high CLI when they review your account or even when you ask them for one.

There's one thing that you have to look out for though. Every credit card lender has their own rules when it comes to writing a purchase check. They will charge you 3% of the total amount you wrote the check for. For example, if I wrote a check for $500, they will charge $15 plus my regular interest rate. However, Capital One checks are my favorite because they won't charge you a transaction fee but they will charge you your regular interest rate if you don't pay them before 20 days. That's why I said pay them back in 2 weeks. So read understand what is written on the paper that's included with the checks they have sent you.

One more thing, some credit card lenders might count these checks as a cash advance. HSBC has a different credit line for cash advances. For example, I have a $1000 credit line on my Best Buy Rewardzone Mastercard which is issued by HSBC. My credit line for cash advances is $400. If I wrote the check for $500 from that card, I would be SLAMMED with all types of fees. So make sure you call your credit card lender's CS to verify that these purchase checks aren't processed as a cash advance. Make sure you write down the CSR's name for reference.In case they provided you with the wrong info, you will be protected because it is not your fault that one of their employees gave you false information.

I have tried this out with Capital One. I wrote a check to myself for $300. I made sure there wasn't a transaction fee. I would just be charged the regular interest rate if I didn't pay them back before 20-25 days. Just to be on the safe side, I paid them back in a week and a half.

So to summarize this post, here are the following steps that you should take:

1) Write a check to yourself.
2) Deposit it into your bank account.
3) Pay your credit card lender back before your interest rate kicks in.
4) Make sure there aren't any transactions fees. If you don't mind paying a transaction fee, then that's fine.
5) Kick back and what your CLI's add up.

I hope this helps people out because this is a very long post. It may be boring since it's so long, but I have included most of the details that you need to watch out for. If I haven't mentioned anything that needs to be here, please don't hesitate to add to this because we want everyone here on FG to get all the correct info as much as possible. Thanks for reading!

I almost forgot to mention this. If anyone has tried this and has experience with purchase checks, please post your experience with this process to help out others that are ready to do this for the first time. Thanks!
16 years 2 months ago #19