Product Upgrade/Conversion

• hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Smcc, I called BofA today

Smcc, I called BofA today and they said that I couldn't upgrade because of the type of card I had which is a student card. Now isn't that a load of [crap].

*Edited by FG*
16 years 2 months ago #16

Replied by smcc on topic Meya is correct HJM551, the

Meya is correct HJM551, the bank will close your old account and start a new history with your new credit card number. Realize though that when a prospective lender looks at your credit report and see's this They (the lender) can look at the date closed on account (a) and look at the open date of account (b) and can decipher that you were either upgraded or you applied for a new card. Should the lender really get picky and notify the bank in question, the bank can clarify what actually happened (that you were upgraded to a better product). You as the consumer don't lose out end the end...................
16 years 2 months ago #17
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic well, let's see if we

well, let's see if we can get any other info in here. This is a very important topic.
16 years 2 months ago #18

Replied by Meya on topic I dont know if this

I dont know if this fits the category, but one of my charge cards changed financial backers and they closed our old accounts and started new ones as a brand new account. The name on the credit report is totally different than what it was before and my scores actually stood still...no increase and no decrease. :worried:
16 years 2 months ago #19
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Oh alright. One more question

Oh alright. One more question smcc. I have a 6-7 month worth of payment history on my credit report. What will happen to that payment history? If the new card will takeover and continue kinda like a relay race, then I will try upgrading my card. If not, then I will stick to this card because the card that I have right now is my 2nd oldest card. I need the new card to continue reporting on the payment history that I originally upgraded from.
16 years 2 months ago #20

Replied by smcc on topic Sorry but your account number

Sorry but your account number will change in the upgrade hjm331. All services you have tied to your old account will have to be notified of the change in card number so they can tie whatever service provided to the new card. They retire your old credit card number and put it back in the bin sort of speak to be used again by someone else
16 years 2 months ago #21
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic smcc, do u get to

smcc, do u get to keep the same account number?
16 years 2 months ago #22

Replied by smcc on topic Good evening HJM 331, I

Good evening HJM 331, I used to have a Platinum Visa with BOA and they upgraded my account to a World Points Platinum Plus Visa. This was done with no input from me whatsoever. I think the upgrades are again based on your relationship with the bank or maybe the bank is phasing out a product and moving those using the product either laterally to a similar card/product or upgrading the consumer based on his history with the bank. Again my opinion...................
16 years 2 months ago #23
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

was created by hjm331

I've never been through the process of product upgrade/conversion. If anyone has been through this process, can you please explain to me how it works?
16 years 2 months ago #24