Vote your favorite card here!

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Vote your favorite card here!

Some of you have had good luck with Capital One. I have been one of those caught in whatever it is they are hung up in. In the past they took care of me but not in the last two years. All the other bank cards I have take care of me except GEMB. Dropped Cap One because I was a good steady relaible customer that took care of them since 2001. When they went crazy I decided I didn't need the hassle. I said goodbye. This like a lot of other card issuers get's to be very personal and it did! :white-flag:
14 years 6 months ago #31

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Vote your favorite card here!

My favorite is my Citibank Platinum Select Dividend MasterCard. I earn 2% on groceries, gasoline, drugstores and utilities and 1% on everything else up to $300 a year. Sorry folks, it isn't available anymore.

As far as Capital One...just like every other bank, from BofA, Citibank, Chase and the rest, things are changing and mostly because of the CARD Act going into effect in February 2010. There are some good things about that law and many bad things. We just need to remember that credit is changing and the "odd" things each bank is doing is being reflected in these changes. Capital One gave me my first card and I still have it. It grew with me and they have really not done anything to tick me off.
14 years 6 months ago #32

Yes, I actually talked with senior account reps three times over a period of time. They all had their scripts. When the final line came they had no authority or power to do anything. Not like four years ago. Normal world I would have let it ride!! The straw that did me in was reporting all this business credit to the consumer credit bureaus. It would look like I went on some credit acquistion streak. Other creditors could get nervous and reduce or shut me down (at least in my mind with $16,600 of out of the blue new credit and debt of $3,700 - it is a shame we have to pay that close of attention). Frankly I have not been a fan of Capital One but I would let it ride. I am afraid of all that new open credit and then a sudden debt of $3,700. Sad that the creditors have become what they have and Capital One again found it necessary to punish those of us who have been spotless clean. The senior rep said both my accounts were credit perfect. My comment then why do I have to work this hard. NUTS... closed the accounts and told them to remove me from every corner of their systems (took five minutes to clear both accounts). :dumbfounded:
14 years 6 months ago #33
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Vote your favorite card here!

I am mad because I never had limits that high...lol. By any chance, have you tried to talk with a senior rep since you have good history with them? Cap 1 is tripping on us, I still love them, but they went straight to the left on their good paying customers. :worried:
14 years 6 months ago #34

My favorite Credit Cards are NOT Capital One :white-flag:!!! I went in today and closed my Capital One Business Platinum CL $10,600 since 2001 and my Capital One Buisness Miles One CL $6,000 since 2005. Capital One not only increased my rates from 7.9% to 17.9% for business reasons they stuck a note on the statements in September 2009 That starting October 2009 they would be reporting all Small Business accounts to the personal credit bureaus. I rushed around and paid off my $3,700 of outstanding debt. Then I closed the accounts. In today's strange credit world I did not want $16,600 of new credit available to show up or debt of $3,700 dollars. Instead it will show many years of good payment history along with "closed at consumer's request". Also, no available credit. My way of making the most out of what is another consumer/small business shaft!!! :shocked: I am MAD!!!
14 years 6 months ago #35

HJM the HSBC AX (May 2008) original credit line on an on-line app was $6,500...
14 years 7 months ago #36
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Vote your favorite card here!

Isn't it like $14 per CB?:confused:
14 years 7 months ago #37

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Vote your favorite card here!

smcc, no one has the right to unfreeze my creditors other than me. I would have to call the credit bureaus and give them a PIN number they assigned when I froze my reports. I would have to a pay fee for them to unfreeze it though.
14 years 7 months ago #38

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Vote your favorite card here!

Young man I have a question, since you have frozen your accounts, should you apply for a position that requires a background check and the firm doing the background check needs to pull your credit reports do they:

• Have the authority to override your freeze since you signed the paperwork giving them permission to look into your current/previous personal/financial past when you applied for the job or
  • Do you have to call the bureau's ahead of time to let them know of this situation ?
14 years 7 months ago #39

Wanderer, what was the initial CL on the HSBC AMEX?
14 years 7 months ago #40

Surprise, I like my HSBC American Express Card. I collect points (cash is my usual choice) at 1.25 points per dollar spent. Also they have been good to me on credit lines which is $8,000. Not bad for a card that I opened May 2008.:cool:
14 years 7 months ago #41

Rabbit, I have frozen all three of my credit reports because I won't be applying for credit until June 2011. Trust me though, Discover is on my list for my June 2011 app spree.
14 years 7 months ago #42

Replied by rabbit713 on topic Re: Vote your favorite card here!

hjm331 i noticed you don't have a Discover card, you should get 1 soon..
14 years 7 months ago #43

Yeah, they don't offer generous rewards but their CS and prime practices make up for it.
14 years 7 months ago #44

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Vote your favorite card here!

Amex seems to be stablizing because I am hearing a lot less of APR rate-jacks, CLD's, F/R's and account closures. Doesn't mean that they are not happening, but just less. Discover is pretty stable and conservative. Even though I use it often, I don't get a lot of cash back. I do sign up for the 5% categories, it really doesn't add up to a lot. The bonus cash back links are useless to me because I either don't shop there or the prices are outragous. I don't know if anybody else knows is that instead of being able to redeem cash back starting at $20 you have to wait until you have accumulated $50.
14 years 7 months ago #45