Are frugal weddings possible?

Replied by FrankN on topic Are frugal weddings possible?

My cousin recently got married and had the ceremony at their parents house (my aunt and uncle). Very simple and small wedding, but it was also very inexpensive.
6 years 3 weeks ago #1

Another simple way to look at it. Say the $25K is saved and invested for 35 years at a conservative 6% annual return. In 35 years, that would be just over $192K. Every little bit counts over a long-period of time.
6 years 1 month ago #2

Replied by Moneyes on topic Are frugal weddings possible?

If that 25k is an investment, what's the return?

That's right Wanderer, after the wedding and honeymoon, buy some stock in a company directly related to that stone on her finger. :lol:
6 years 3 months ago #3

Replied by Wanderer on topic Are frugal weddings possible?

Spending $25,000 for a wedding would go along ways towards the purchase of residential property or a great honeymoon. Sure would encourage me to elope and run with the money :) When reviewing marriage and divorce statistics along with the freedom now available to females that may choose careers and other life styles a wedding for $25,000 is actually a potential risky business. Talk to me about precious metals?
6 years 3 months ago #4

Its possible, but in my experience very very difficult to do. You have to have a lot of work arounds such as Friday/Sunday wedding off season and in a less desirable location.
6 years 3 months ago #5

Replied by JGibbs on topic Are frugal weddings possible?

JacksonM wrote:
That sounds like an interesting way to do things. I'm not sure some our more traditional (read: old school) family would go for it though.

Afternoon weddings are less expensive. You can offer guests hors d'oeuvres instead of a plated meal. She can save on the venue if she holds the wedding at someone's home or a park. If your sister has a large social media following or maintains a blog, she could seek sponsorships and free goods in exchange for a mention on her blog or social media account.
6 years 3 months ago #6
  • JacksonM
  • JacksonM's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by JacksonM on topic Are frugal weddings possible?

JGibbs wrote: Congratulations to your sister. It's very nice of you to offer to help, JacksonM. I've had friends who sort of crowdfunded their wedding. Instead of registering for gifts, they registered for wedding items and also accepted paypal donations.

That sounds like an interesting way to do things. I'm not sure some our more traditional (read: old school) family would go for it though.
6 years 3 months ago #7

Replied by JGibbs on topic Are frugal weddings possible?

Congratulations to your sister. It's very nice of you to offer to help, JacksonM. I've had friends who sort of crowdfunded their wedding. Instead of registering for gifts, they registered for wedding items and also accepted paypal donations.
6 years 3 months ago #8
  • JacksonM
  • JacksonM's Avatar Topic Author

Are frugal weddings possible? was created by JacksonM

My sister recently became engaged to her longtime boyfriend. I've offered to help out some financially since my parents aren't able to afford "her dream wedding." During my research, I've seen that the average cost is around $25,000, which none of us have. Is there a way to keep this from ballooning out of control?
6 years 3 months ago #9