Seeking adivce

Replied by madberry on topic Re: Seeking adivce

It is true what others have posted. Bankruptcy is a major step and not something to consider likely. In my case it was the right thing to do and I had no other options. I still wonder if I made the right choice some days but I think I did. I am not as stressed, I have learned my lessons and I am on a much better path now so I guess I do not regret it. The best thing to do it talk to the banks, the other people you owe and see if you can work something out. If you can't then you might have to seriously investigate bankruptcy. I would suggest talking to the bigger firms out there instead of just some local guy that might mess things up and you would have less recourse if so. Lots of places offer free consultations and advice before you commit. In my case I went with the biggest firm I could find and everything worked out. They were called Legal Helpers.

Anyway.. I hope you get it all straightened out and wish you the best how ever it turns out.

Jim
12 years 9 months ago #1

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Seeking adivce

Some people also suggest consolidating your credit card debt. If you consider this, check with your main bank, not a debt consolidating service. This can be dangerous so research.
12 years 10 months ago #2

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Seeking adivce

Hi, first of all I would like to say I'm sorry for your situation even though I'm not aware of the circumstances that lead you to this point.

I would NOT recommend filing bankruptcy it is an extreme step that will follow you for the next 10 years. I believe you should only file for bankruptcy if and only if there is a combination of issues at fault (foreclosure, repossessions, charge offs, judgments, or collections). Credit card debt alone should not be a reason because it is unsecured, especially if your income has significantly decreased and only own ONE house(with little to no equity), & only ONE car(per person). As if you fall into this catagory there is nothing your creditors can do to you.

Best Regards, Derek

Due to your circumstances, it may pay you to consult a bankruptcy attorney to ensure you know your rights and preserve for yourself the best legal and long term life options. As the previous poster mentioned, bankruptcy is not for the faint of heart. Even after the ten years for a Chapter 7, some creditors may NEVER be willing to work with you again. Another scary point, as the banking industry consolidates, it is getting harder to find credit issuers. So if you end up filing bankruptcy on some creditors there may be less opportunities for you down the road.
12 years 10 months ago #3

Replied by derek1061 on topic Re: Seeking adivce

Hi, first of all I would like to say I'm sorry for your situation even though I'm not aware of the circumstances that lead you to this point.

I would NOT recommend filing bankruptcy it is an extreme step that will follow you for the next 10 years. I believe you should only file for bankruptcy if and only if there is a combination of issues at fault (foreclosure, repossessions, charge offs, judgments, or collections). Credit card debt alone should not be a reason because it is unsecured, especially if your income has significantly decreased and only own ONE house(with little to no equity), & only ONE car(per person). As if you fall into this catagory there is nothing your creditors can do to you.

Best Regards, Derek
12 years 10 months ago #4
  • PeterHGunn
  • PeterHGunn's Avatar Topic Author

was created by PeterHGunn

Hello All;

I am in over my head mostly with Credit card debt and not sure what other options I have. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I should be looking for in a Bankruptcy firm or is willing to share any of their experiences with firms?

What other options do I have? Is there anything else I should be looking at before taking the final step of bankruptcy? I know I have not provided a lot of personal details but any help would be great to hear.

Thank you;
Peter
12 years 10 months ago #5