WaMu Online CD - "Application Cancelled for Security Reasons"

Poll: What Would You Do?

Walk into a branch and raise hell.
No votes 0%
Open a basic savings account in person, then try to add an Online CD.
1 50%
Stick with ING Direct
1 50%
Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by Meya on topic Re: WaMu Online CD - "Application Cancelled for Security Reasons"

:laugh: :white-flag:
15 years 7 months ago #1

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: WaMu Online CD - "Application Cancelled for Security Reasons"

Well today is Tuesday.

I switched my phone answer (it's a cell phone) to "regular land line" and it worked.

Hopefully others can stumble across this bit of info through google.

Congratulations and see you didn't have to raise any hell
15 years 7 months ago #2
  • sexconker
  • sexconker's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by sexconker on topic Re: WaMu Online CD - "Application Cancelled for Security Reasons"

Well today is Tuesday.

I switched my phone answer (it's a cell phone) to "regular land line" and it worked.

Hopefully others can stumble across this bit of info through google.
15 years 7 months ago #3
  • sexconker

Replied by sexconker on topic Re: WaMu Online CD - "Application Cancelled for Security Reasons"

Thought about it (would have been part of my plan if I decided to go into a branch).

But WaMu has nothing to do with Equifax's verification system - they're just a customer. Any specific issues would have to be dealt with through Equifax. I'm sure it's possible for me to get a bank manager to get on the case and bring it to Equifax's attention, but I'd have to get a really nice bank manager, and it could take a long time. As far as contacting Equifax myself, fat chance. There's virtually no contact information available to the average joe. I would have to snail mail a letter to their disputes/corrections department and tell them that I'm not disputing information on my credit report, I'm disputing the answers they have on record for the ID verification questions. It would get bounced around, they'd mail me back saying they need a copy of this and that and such, and that it could take x days for changes to take effect, blah blah blah.

The easiest option for me is to wait until Tuesday to try again (changing my answer for the phone question). If that fails, I'll walk into a branch.

Googling around, I've found quite a few people who had the same issue (though I don't know if they all had correct info on their credit reports), and no one has mentioned the phone question thing.

The guy (from WaMu) I talked to on the phone said that the phone question is the most common pitfall. I guess they know about it but don't care enough to tell Equifax to fix it / eliminate that question.

At the very least someone searching the web might come here and be informed of the phone issue, and might save themselves some grief.
15 years 7 months ago #4

Replied by Meya on topic Re: WaMu Online CD - "Application Cancelled for Security Reasons"

Calm down buddie:laugh: Why dont you print your credit report, walk it into the branch, and talk with the bank manager. I believe it will be much better than raising hell. Only Run D.M.C got away with that one :cool:
15 years 7 months ago #5
  • sexconker

Called again and got someone who was slightly more helpful.

He said that the questions come directly from Equifax (which I already knew - this just confirms that it is Equifax and not Experian or Transunion).

He said the question that usually screws things up is the one asking if your given phone number is for a cell phone, land line, pager, or etc.

He also said there is no way for them to override the 7 day lockout.
I guess I will try again next week and see what happens.

In the meantime I'll try to tell Equifax that they suck.

(I'll update here with results)
15 years 7 months ago #6

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: WaMu Online CD - "Application Cancelled for Security Reasons"

Go to your nearest WaMu branch and get someone to help you out.

Hay HJM331
15 years 7 months ago #7

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: WaMu Online CD - "Application Cancelled for Security Reasons"

Go to your nearest WaMu branch and get someone to help you out.
15 years 7 months ago #8
  • sexconker

Thanks for the reply.

What could go wrong (...) if I just kept hammering that application?
  • The system flags the application, me, my IP, etc as suspect.
  • I would assume that at some point, someone with some authority would have to look at it before any drastic action (freezing my assets, sending in SWAT teams) would be taken.
  • When they look, they'll see that all my info matches up and I am who I say I am, etc.
What could go wrong? (I won't be doing this, it could only end horribly.)

I guess I'll call again today at lunch and see if I can get a more helpful person. If that fails, I'll head down to the branch and try to get someone's attention. But from what I've heard, people at the branch will NOT be able to get me the Online CD. They may be able to match the rate because of the circumstances, but I need to be able to create and fund the Online CDs regularly (monthly) for as long as WaMu has the highest rates...
15 years 7 months ago #9

Welcome aboard

Normally I am a set it off kind of chick but I have learned to pick and choose my battles wisely
15 years 7 months ago #10
  • sexconker

was created by sexconker

I've been trying to set up an Online CD at Washington Mutual (for the 4.5% interest rate).

I do not currently have any Washington Mutual accounts.

When I got to the part about answering questions to verify my identity, I was given 4 questions. I answered them, and I was told my application was denied for security reasons.

I tried again, changing one answer, and it still failed. (I changed the answer to the question asking what county I had lived in previously. Two answers were correct, and the first time I had picked the most recent correct answer.)

So I decided to email Washington Mutual. I got no response.

So I decided to call them. A woman who obviously hates her job told me to check my Equifax credit report. So, I did. It cost me $40 (I got all 3, and I had used my free annual report late last year).

All of the information is correct (except for minor discrepancies such as an address being listed without the apartment number).

I emailed Washington Mutual again, and I got a response. Of course, it was completely scripted, unhelpful, and off-topic.

I noticed someone else on this board had a similar issue, and a similar plan.
( https://www.financeglobe.com/SocialNet/forum/showthread.php?t=524 )

If I don't get a decent response out of WaMu soon, I'll either:
  • Walk into a branch and raise a small amount of hell.
  • Walk into a branch and open a basic savings account, link that to my WaMu online account (by "account" I mean site account - no WaMu accounts are linked to it yet), and then try to open an Online CD and hope they don't ask me for all my personal info and verification questions (since WaMu should have all my info from me walking into a branch and showing them my ID, providing a signature, etc.).
  • Give up and stick with ING Direct for my CDs. The interest rate is a little lower, but their site is super easy to use, it works, and I've got about a dozen accounts there already.
Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have this issue before?
The woman I spoke with on the phone specifically mentioned Equifax (in relation to the ID verification questions). Should I try contacting them about this issue? I pulled my report yesterday and all information is correct. I really don't want to have to go through trying to get answers from a credit bureau, especially when they'll just tell me that it's Washington Mutual's fault, or ask me "If all the information is correct sir, what is the problem?" repeatedly...

:white-flag:

Thanks

Edit: A 4th option would be to wait a week and try a new application (the current one is locked for having failed 3 times...).
Hopefully I'll get a different set of questions.
15 years 7 months ago #11