Bank Mistake

• Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic I have to laugh at

I have to laugh at this one! Agree disagree, agree, disagree, we just don't know what to think...lol.
:fun: :fun: :fun: :fun:
16 years 1 month ago #16

Replied by liowkc on topic Hi Meya We are not supposed

Hi Meya

We are not supposed to agree at all :cheesing: :cheesing: I disagree with you agreeing with me. :laugh: :laugh:
16 years 1 month ago #17
  • Meya
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic This time, "I agree" :fun:

This time, "I agree" :fun:
16 years 1 month ago #18

Replied by liowkc on topic Banks are also scammers :)

Banks are also scammers :) they just wear suits and have a bunch of lawyers tagging along :) :)
16 years 1 month ago #19
  • Meya
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic To put my two cents

To put my two cents in, it is very hard for a bank to catch an "I don't care person" or someone who is capeable of scamming in the first place. Their are some crazy dishonest people in the world who can outsmart a bank.
16 years 1 month ago #20

Replied by Attagirl on topic Well, that is interesting that

Well, that is interesting that it happened and you noticed it. I would either hold onto the money or report it. What happens is like one post said, they traced it over years then demanded it at that time. Not having the money to pay it back. It was money which should not have been spent to begin with.

Yes they can collect it by whatever legal means they have. Even when it is their mistake. This includes suing you, but keep in mind there will be many other collection efforts first.
16 years 1 month ago #21

Replied by liowkc on topic Correct Hjm331. This shows your

Correct Hjm331. This shows your honesty and your creditworthyness. When you have good credit or trying to establish credit, you are practicing good faith and honesty. I have to agree with you.

Casting aside moraltiy and honesty issues. you have no legal duty to inform the bank about your windfall; but spend the windfall at one peril becasue the bank can recover the money from your within the statutory period (at least 6 years).
16 years 2 months ago #22
  • Meya
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Correct Hjm331. This shows your

Correct Hjm331. This shows your honesty and your creditworthyness. When you have good credit or trying to establish credit, you are practicing good faith and honesty. I have to agree with you.
:fun:
16 years 2 months ago #23

Replied by hjm331 on topic Personally, I would let CS

Personally, I would let CS know that someone else's deposit ended up into my account by mistake because sooner or later, they would point fingers at me and hold me responsible for not letting them know beforehand.
16 years 2 months ago #24
  • Meya
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic As much as I don't

As much as I don't want to say this but, it happened to me when I was around 18 or 19 years old. I went to make a deposit for about $120 and the balance printed out on the back $3k something. I should o fhad about $250 with the $120 deposit. I went back in the bank and closed my account. Yes I did go shopping with my fjriends, opened a new account at another bank and had fun. I got a letter about 1 1/2 month later in regards to the over funds in my account and they wanted their ends back. Well, young as I was, I was like, "When doves fly you will get it back."

Now that I am older, my first decision is to let them know that there is a over balance on my account which is not rightfully mines and I will have them to put it up for investigation to give it to the rightful owner. Case closed.
16 years 2 months ago #25

Replied by princess08 on topic As tempting as it is

As tempting as it is report it to the bank, as a friend of mine had the same thing happen and it took months I think even a year for the bank to trace it or maybe realise it, she then had to pay the bank back as at the time she couldnt just give back the amount that had been put in as it was long gone.
16 years 2 months ago #26
  • Meya
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

was created by Meya

Colbalt007 Says]

Few days back somebody made a deposit in my bank account for a few thousand dollars, I have no clue that it was. Maybe bank’s mistake. The question is, can the bank legally take me to court if I don’t report the mistake and the bank finds out later (in a few months/years) that I failed to report it?

liowkc says]
As far as I know, you are legally obliged to return the money once the bank demands it back. This is based on the legal doctrine known as "unjust enrichment". simply put, the law will not allow you to be enriched in a unjust manner.
16 years 2 months ago #27