Gas at $4 / gallon

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

I just filled up my tank last night and it was $2.16 a gallon. It seems that most of the summer it's held strong right around $2.00. How likely do you think it is that this will keep up all winter?
7 years 4 months ago #16

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

In northern Minnesota it is $1.94 a gallon.
7 years 4 months ago #17

Replied by Moneyes on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

I just passed a gas station a few hours ago and it's still at $2.19 a gallon. I'm in the southwest U.S. and gas has been reasonable for quite awhile now.
7 years 4 months ago #18

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

Thankfully the price of gas has fallen significantly, but I remember scrambling around trying to figure out how we were going to afford the gas we needed just to get to work. We managed to do it by cutting back on a lot of unnecessary driving. In fact, I've noticed that we still are doing that even though it is much cheaper now.
8 years 3 months ago #19

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

Since San Francisco was mentioned, I have to be the one to enlighten the effects that transportation is having on its commuters. Usually, an adult could purchase a FastPass for about $60 to travel all through the month with just one purchase. They are now introducing what is called a Clipper Card, which is scanned and deducted $2.00 upon boarding each bus. An average working adult may spend 3x's or more using the clipper card vs an adult FastPass. Where is the savings? We are not sure if it's gas prices or public transportation.

I've heard of this system in Seattle... I have the agree, it's a scam! Currently my employer offers me a pass for $25/month and I hope it stays this way forever! They have some kind of agreement worked out with are metro transportation agency.

On Friday I bought a new bike, she's a beat.

The Giant Escape City:.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.city.2011/6963/43123/
13 years 2 weeks ago #20

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

Since San Francisco was mentioned, I have to be the one to enlighten the effects that transportation is having on its commuters. Usually, an adult could purchase a FastPass for about $60 to travel all through the month with just one purchase. They are now introducing what is called a Clipper Card, which is scanned and deducted $2.00 upon boarding each bus. An average working adult may spend 3x's or more using the clipper card vs an adult FastPass. Where is the savings? We are not sure if it's gas prices or public transportation. :shocked:
13 years 2 weeks ago #21
  • smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

Makes you wonder if gas continues to rise what vacation deals will arise from this ? Hotels I will assume will have fantastic deals due to assumed low occupancy. Rental Car agencies, with the exception of holidays, might follow suit !

How you can save on flights or driving will be up to us but I would some things will be a real "steal" with increased gas prices when it comes to summer vacations !
13 years 4 weeks ago #22

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

This is why I stay in the house as much as possible. Its too cold for public transportation, but it is not cold enough to travel with someone else :laugh: :laugh: . I always ask my sister if she is going some where, if she says "Yes", I tell her to pick me up!
13 years 4 weeks ago #23

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

Just purchased a Convertible V8 in October 2010 looking forward to this upcoming summer but if gas continues to rise the fun will be short lived

Your car is HOT...! You have to go crusin' ... the girls, wind in your hair, sun tan... awesome! Take out a gas card. :cool: PS... don't hope for much from our govenment... they are more interested in the game!!!
13 years 1 month ago #24
  • smcc
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Just purchased a Convertible V8 in October 2010 looking forward to this upcoming summer but if gas continues to rise the fun will be short lived :worried: , although gas prices have started to drop by a few pennies over the last few days due to the events in the Far East.

I wonder if the House / Senate will look more favorably on Obama's idea of High Speed Rail based on current events as they now stand ?
13 years 1 month ago #25

Will Amtrak and Grehound become more popular than ever for summer travel ?

I took Amtrak from Portland to Seattle during Christmas time. :)
13 years 1 month ago #26
  • smcc
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Will Amtrak and Grehound become more popular than ever for summer travel ?
13 years 1 month ago #27

I've been using public transit for the past year and love it. There's only one problem, a lot of my friends live in Washington State, I'm in Oregon, and we have a giant river separating us from each other. Currently, state officials from Oregon and Washington are deciding on a new bridge that will incorporate light rail and more traffic lanes — the cost — 3.6 billion. It's believed they've already spend 300 million on design and surveys. The project is an absolute mess and construction should of already started. Right now buses travel to Washington but the frequency is low.

On another note, I plan on moving to get back into school and will need a car for that. I still own a car and its been parked safely at my parents. But the gas prices are crazy, like you guys said.

My plan is to use public transit for work and my car for school and play. :sleepy:
13 years 1 month ago #28

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Re: Gas at $4 / gallon

Good post! Well, we can shave about 5% off of our gas bill just today:
https://www.financeglobe.com/SocialNet/Markets/uga/ It looks like gas and oil is coming off in a big way finally, unfortunately from the terrible effects of those poor people in Japan.
13 years 1 month ago #29
  • smcc
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

was created by smcc

Very sobering article:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/03/study-says-4-gas-prices-will-drive-millions-to-public-transit/1

For all those cities with surrounding communities who didn't want Public Transportation to be a part of their community, what now ? Public Transportation is great, used it in SF and loved it, but here in ATL its a joke. The real bad thing is their are communities here that have no public transportation alternatives and they would have to still drive some distance to take advantage of what their county has to offer. $6 a gallon, I can only imagine the nightmare..............
13 years 1 month ago #30