Does anyone really know what they are doing?

Replied by Curry on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

There is a very fine line between speculating and guessing, that's for sure. You have to consider who is doing the speculating though and either go with it, based on that source, or not.
7 years 9 months ago #16

Replied by Moneyes on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

Rob101 wrote: I remember this scene from the movie Wolf of Wall street with Matthew McConaughey telling dicaprio that no one really knows how the stock will perform. It is really a guessing game?

It's speculative. People "speculate" on how something will perform, and others buy, sell and trade on that speculation. All speculation is, really, is an educated guess.
7 years 9 months ago #17

Replied by FrankN on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

Yes absolutely. It certainty does take a lot of time and effort to be able to be successful. Also unfortunately that does not mean you will be successful.
8 years 1 month ago #18

Replied by Egghead on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

In my experience the people who are really successfully managing their own stocks have both a keen interest in the topic and the time to spend on research.
8 years 1 month ago #19

Replied by patse on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

I agree with you. I for one do not know enough about stocks and the stock market to invest my money on my own. I hire people for that. I wish I knew exactly what I was doing so that I could be an incredible investor too. Right now I just have to trust the firm that I have working for me.
8 years 1 month ago #20

Replied by FrankN on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

I would not necessarily agree that people do not know what they are doing. Finance is extremely broad and have so many careers that relate and do not relate to the stock market. My view is some people know exactly what they are doing and are incredible investors. There are also jobs tied to the stock market, but those people have no clue. Specifically, the example you mention with Matthew McConaughey is he is a broker. Brokers are sales people and work off commission. They are not investors.

I would also argue the stock market is not necessarily a gambling mechanism. Some people use it that way, but you cannot broadly put that label on it.
8 years 2 months ago #21

Replied by djames on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

There's a certain amount of risk involved, of course, but professionals know how to research every aspect of a stock to be able to have a reasonable expectation of how it will perform. Of course, even they're only right half the time, so yes, it's definitely a gamble no matter what.
8 years 2 months ago #22

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Does anyone really know what they are doing?

I think some people are more savvy than others when it comes to seeing the future of the stock market, but it's still a crap shoot at the end of the day. I can tell you that I have no idea what I'm doing! :silly:
8 years 2 months ago #23
  • Rob101
  • Rob101's Avatar Topic Author

Does anyone really know what they are doing? was created by Rob101

I remember this scene from the movie Wolf of Wall street with Matthew McConaughey telling dicaprio that no one really knows how the stock will perform. It is really a guessing game?
8 years 9 months ago #24