Silver & Gold

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Silver & Gold

I don't want to sound like a dingbat, but that article reads like a Chinese road map to me. :D My takeaway from it is that having a gold standard stabilizes the economy. I may have overlooked it, but I'm not quite understanding why we removed the gold standard. Did they think it would help pull us out of the Great Depression?
7 years 10 months ago #16

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Silver & Gold

Not so much "preppers", take a look at the dollar devaluation since we were removed from the gold standard . It's similar to investing in land, a home, etc - but with portability and liquidity.
7 years 10 months ago #17

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Silver & Gold

I get the impression that people who invest in tangible silver and gold are doing so because they think along the lines of "preppers." That's not necessarily a bad thing and I could be way off the mark, but that's what it sounds like to me.
8 years 2 weeks ago #18

Replied by Wanderer on topic Silver & Gold

Something to think about is, what you place in the safe deposit box going to have easy marketability when you need it?
8 years 3 weeks ago #19

Replied by patse on topic Silver & Gold

Cents wrote: I am going to start setting aside around $200 a month to invest in silver and gold from here on out. This is something I've been thinking about for a while because having all my money in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc. doesn't seem wise. I want something I can put in the safe in the event everything else goes down the toilet.

This isn't something that I have ever thought about investing in. I like your thought process. I am going to look into investing in silver bars. I'm not sure where to start.
8 years 3 weeks ago #20

Replied by FrankN on topic Silver & Gold

I think that is the right way to look at your portfolio.
8 years 4 weeks ago #21

Replied by Cents on topic Silver & Gold

Oh, yes, I completely agree with diversification, which is one of the reasons I want to add silver and gold into the mix. If I allocated $200 a month to it, that would be about five percent of what goes into the various investments, so I don't think that would be considered going overboard with it.
8 years 4 weeks ago #22

100% agree Frank, you have to absolutely diversify.
8 years 1 month ago #23

Replied by FrankN on topic Silver & Gold

Make sure you do not over allocate, and consider looking at commodity ETFs. One thing to note is commodities don't usually pay dividends or interest so sometimes commodities can decline in price or stay stagnate for years. If you want risk-less assets there is always investments that are guaranteed by the US government.
8 years 1 month ago #24

Replied by Cents on topic Silver & Gold

I am going to start setting aside around $200 a month to invest in silver and gold from here on out. This is something I've been thinking about for a while because having all my money in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc. doesn't seem wise. I want something I can put in the safe in the event everything else goes down the toilet.
8 years 1 month ago #25

Yes, I agree with most of your points. I'm certainly not suggesting hoarding gold or silver. From an long term investment's point of view, having some protection is probably a wise choice since the value of paper currency long term is not viable.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Finance Globe.
8 years 8 months ago #26

Replied by BloodFood on topic Silver & Gold

Its definitely true that we are living in a world of cheap money and everyone should have some Gold or Silver but not in excess because if are so capable and you have excess of gold silver resting in your vault you are actually halting the money flow of your country and this will result into drastic outcomes. It says Keep the money rolling to add more in your account.
8 years 8 months ago #27

Certainly much cheaper than the stock market. PM's (precious metals) is of real value, something you can hold in your hand and not depreciate due to recklessness that's out of your control. I have 4 children, and I feel this is something good to hand down to them one day. In my heart, I hope that I made a bad investment, we never want them to explode in value, but it just makes sense to prepare a little.
8 years 8 months ago #28
  • dank213
  • dank213's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by dank213 on topic Silver & Gold

Finance Globe wrote: We live in a world of cheap lending and money printing. My personal belief is that everyone should own a little silver and/or gold.
http://www.macrotrends.net/1470/historical-silver-prices-100-year-chart

I would have to agree with you.

I don't do much in gold simply because I don't want to spend that much at once and would rather spend it on silver. I also look at it as not really "buying" something, rather handing money and receiving money in return. I like precious metals because while a value may decrease, I feel it is MUCH safer than the stock market.
8 years 8 months ago #29

We live in a world of cheap lending and money printing. My personal belief is that everyone should own a little silver and/or gold.
http://www.macrotrends.net/1470/historical-silver-prices-100-year-chart
8 years 8 months ago #30