Are you using less gas?

Replied by FrankN on topic Same amount-different expenditure

That is a very good point WANDERER, I didn't even think of the danger aspect. I was only focusing on the pain of maintaining those extra gallons.
6 years 2 months ago #1

Replied by Wanderer on topic Same amount-different expenditure

Short of an approved safe storage method ... keeping large amounts of fuel products around is safety dangerous. Unless you are in the trucking business why risk it. Want to play with fuel ... buy futures! In the event you experienced a loss your insurer would likely have a serious interest and obtaining a settlement might get firey :)
6 years 2 months ago #2

Replied by JGibbs on topic Same amount-different expenditure

Moneyes wrote:
I don't know if it's legal or not, but try to stock up on it. If you have a 5 or 10 gallon red container made for gas, fill it up when you get the chance. If you have more than one, do it with all of them. If they're all full and the gas is still super cheap, dump the gas in a larger container, like a 55 gallon drum with a sealable lid, take the jug back to the station and do it again.

Don't keep it for more than a year though.

I've had this same idea, but nixed it. Gas evaporates quickly, even with a lid it seems to leak out. This also seems like a dangerous idea. One spark and your home is toast. What do you think? I find the idea appealing, but not the risk. I could be wrong about the danger involved though.
6 years 2 months ago #3

Replied by JacksonM on topic Same amount-different expenditure

Moneyes wrote:

Joker wrote: I haven't really increased my driving even though prices on gas are the lowest they have been in a long, long, time. I guess I really should take advantage of the lower price and go visit some people that I have put off for entirely too long. Reason being is that you know it won't last forever!

I don't know if it's legal or not, but try to stock up on it. If you have a 5 or 10 gallon red container made for gas, fill it up when you get the chance. If you have more than one, do it with all of them. If they're all full and the gas is still super cheap, dump the gas in a larger container, like a 55 gallon drum with a sealable lid, take the jug back to the station and do it again.

I think I've been using less gas over the last year. I've been temporarily assigned to a location closer to my home and all the amenities are close by. I think I've only been having to get gas about once a month.
6 years 2 months ago #4

Replied by FrankN on topic Same amount-different expenditure

Moneyes wrote:

Joker wrote: I haven't really increased my driving even though prices on gas are the lowest they have been in a long, long, time. I guess I really should take advantage of the lower price and go visit some people that I have put off for entirely too long. Reason being is that you know it won't last forever!

Have you ever done this before? The cost and pain of doing this does not seem to outweigh the cost savings.
6 years 2 months ago #5

Replied by Moneyes on topic Same amount-different expenditure

6 years 2 months ago #6

Replied by Joker on topic Same amount-different expenditure

I haven't really increased my driving even though prices on gas are the lowest they have been in a long, long, time. I guess I really should take advantage of the lower price and go visit some people that I have put off for entirely too long. Reason being is that you know it won't last forever!
6 years 7 months ago #7

Replied by Moneyes on topic Less Gas?

I use the same amount of gas as I always have. Whenever I go to town I try to remember to get everything I need so I don't have to come back out.
7 years 10 months ago #8

Replied by patse on topic Are you using less gas?

I tend to shop too often. I run to town often. I need to start adding my trips together so I save gas. I use coupons so I save money that way too. I also get a lot of money off of my gas bills. I love coupons!
7 years 10 months ago #9

Replied by Breakinger on topic Are you using less gas?

Cents wrote: I live in a very rural area, so the driving I have to do is the driving I have to do. I have to go about an hour away to get to large stores, so I do try to make that one big trip about once a month, but that's more about saving on time than it is gas.

That is a really smart idea. There are few stores that I shop at that are pretty far away, so I only do these about once a month. For me, though, that is more about saving on gas than it is on saving time.
7 years 10 months ago #10

Replied by FrankN on topic Are you using less gas?

That is smart, and it probably helps a little with the gas as well.
7 years 10 months ago #11

Replied by Cents on topic Are you using less gas?

I live in a very rural area, so the driving I have to do is the driving I have to do. I have to go about an hour away to get to large stores, so I do try to make that one big trip about once a month, but that's more about saving on time than it is gas.
8 years 1 month ago #12

Replied by FrankN on topic Are you using less gas?

I have recently got a new job where I have to travel about 30 more miles each day, so I unfortunately am using more gas. The lower price of gas helps though.
8 years 1 month ago #13

Replied by Wanderer on topic Are you using less gas?

Yes as I bought a new car three years ago that gets 23 to 37 plus miles per gallon and yet treats me like it is a big car. Got'ta love it. And, the price of gas helps. Organize myself better so I am not creating little trips.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Wanderer.
8 years 3 months ago #14

Replied by Breakinger on topic Are you using less gas?

I am using less gas than I used to, although it does feel really good to fill up the tank in my car for around twenty bucks. This has allowed me to take a little more trips than I have in the past few years without cringing when the gas light comes on. I would love to see the gas prices fall under two dollars again and we are really close right now, so it might just happen after all of the holiday travel is done.
8 years 3 months ago #15