When should you ask for credit limit increases?

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

yeah i don't get it.. capital one ive had them for a year, paid off the balance every month paid more than double the minimum they still haven't risen my credit limit. when i called them today they said no they cant at this time.. my credit score has been going up 20+ points a month i hope me requesting it didnt hurt it just now when they declined me.. bleh!

When you opened the account were you given the Credit Steps letter? I opened my Capital One nearly 11 years ago before credit steps and it took 15 months before I received a CLI. Stick with them, just give it some time.
15 years 3 months ago #121

Replied by MaryM on topic Re: When should you ask for credit limit increases?

Hi Meya....He ( Jayden ) is doing great! He's 7 months now and growing like a weed. He can sit up on his own now and he's about ready to crawl anyday.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what I can get. Thanks Meya!
15 years 3 months ago #122

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

Does anyone know how often JCPenney gives CLI ??

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Mary! How is the little one?
Good news, Jcp gives them out pretty often, I would call them right now if I were you. That's if you had not had one in 4 months or more. One thing I do know about them, it tends to be higher if you ask for one, because if when they give me one w/o asking it was only $200. When I asked, the first one was $1k. I am going to beat them to the punch this month.
15 years 3 months ago #123

Replied by Meya on topic Re: When should you ask for credit limit increases?

Nah, cli's will not hurt your score, they actually help out some and when other creditors see it, they tend to try and match your highest one. They love to see how other banks trust you with a nice credit line. Like hjm said, go for the cap 1 in 6 months, if they don't beat you to the punch:laugh:
15 years 3 months ago #124

Replied by MaryM on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

Does anyone know how often JCPenney gives CLI ?? :dumbfounded:

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!!
15 years 3 months ago #125

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: When should you ask for credit limit increases?

Yeah, wait 6 months.
15 years 3 months ago #126

Replied by relidtm on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

Wow, never heard of them going up like that a month. Mines are up and down all through the month

heh well my only source is from my wamu card, and according to the forum its pretty accurate, i went from 550-653 in a few months,
so do you know about the cli with capital one? wierd huh? its not going to hurt my score is it?
how long should I wait to try again 6 months?
15 years 3 months ago #127

Replied by Meya on topic Re: When should you ask for credit limit increases?

Wow, these are good questions Cliffton. Which HSBC card are you talking about? I have the Orchard and I can tell you right now that Orchard is stingy with cli's. They offer one every 6 months for $200, and they will charge you $25 if you request one yourself. Then that initial limit will be $100. Since you only had the card since June, it is considered a fairly new acount. Wait six months before you ask for an increase. I have never received a hard pull from any of my creditors when asking for cli's. They normally do soft pulls. As far as credit limit goes, I understand the desire of wanting top limit credit cards but there are tricks behind them. I have learned to let them give me whatever they desire and if I decide to ask, it will be six or more months before I do.

The Trick! When you begin to apply for higher cli's, base the limits according to your income. Here is the reason why] when offering credit on a periodically basis. I have been denied increases from Cap 1 so many times, and just when I let them have it, I recieved a letter in the mail a few days later (after their denial) which stated, "Congratulations, you've worked hard towards keeping your credit in good standards. To show you our appreciation we have increased your limit $2k....blah, blah, blah)" I was so stunded until I could not believe it. Just give it a little more time buddie and I am sure that you will get exactly what you are looking for.
:cool:

Forgot I was denied some cli's from cap 1. Oh well, its not like that anymore with them and I. We are buddies 4 life.
Just thought this was a good posting of mines to bring back to the thread. If you all see a thread that you posted, bring it back up from the stash, just quote and go.
15 years 3 months ago #128

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

my credit score has been going up 20+ points a month

Wow, never heard of them going up like that a month. Mines are up and down all through the month:laugh:
15 years 3 months ago #129

Replied by relidtm on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

yeah i don't get it.. capital one ive had them for a year, paid off the balance every month paid more than double the minimum they still haven't risen my credit limit. when i called them today they said no they cant at this time.. my credit score has been going up 20+ points a month i hope me requesting it didnt hurt it just now when they declined me.. bleh!
15 years 3 months ago #130

For sure :white-flag:
15 years 3 months ago #131

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: When should you ask for credit limit increases?

Well, I was approved for the card in April and I asked for a $500 CLI online before the card arrived in the mail and they approved it and my CL has been stuck at $1,500 ever since. I will ask for another increase next month when my statement cuts on the 27th.

Great, let us know how it goes.
15 years 3 months ago #132

Well, I was approved for the card in April and I asked for a $500 CLI online before the card arrived in the mail and they approved it and my CL has been stuck at $1,500 ever since. I will ask for another increase next month when my statement cuts on the 27th.
15 years 3 months ago #133

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: When should you ask for credit limit increases?

I noticed a difference when I submitted both requests. When I submitted the request for the CLI on the AMEX, I read a message which said, "You will receive a written decision in 5-7 business days."

However, when I submitted the CLI request for the Visa, I got a message saying, "Thanks for letting us serve you! If you are approved for a request, it will be available within 24 hours when your request is reviewed in the next business day. If your request is declined, you will receive a letter within 5-7 business days."

I wonder if the computer automatically denies your request if you don't wait 6 months since your last CLI.

When was your last increase on the Amex?
15 years 3 months ago #134

I noticed a difference when I submitted both requests. When I submitted the request for the CLI on the AMEX, I read a message which said, "You will receive a written decision in 5-7 business days."

However, when I submitted the CLI request for the Visa, I got a message saying, "Thanks for letting us serve you! If you are approved for a request, it will be available within 24 hours when your request is reviewed in the next business day. If your request is declined, you will receive a letter within 5-7 business days."

I wonder if the computer automatically denies your request if you don't wait 6 months since your last CLI.
15 years 3 months ago #135