Receiving a CLI with a threat to CLOSE!!!!

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Receiving a CLI with a threat to CLOSE!!!!

5/20/2009
14 years 10 months ago #1

Replied by hjm331 on topic I tried closing my Orchard

I tried closing my Orchard Bank card last on a serious note and ended up getting a $200 CL bringing my CL up to $500 so I just kept it open. lol

I didn't have to pay for the CLI nor got a hard pull.
16 years 2 days ago #2

Replied by dreamr802 on topic My boyfriend had tried to

My boyfriend had tried to get a CLI and he had threatened to close the account if he didn't get it. At first they didn't believe him...but when he said well then close my account they did offer to raise it by only $100 but at least it was something. And now every 6 months as long as the bills are paid he gets another $20 increase. It works for him.
16 years 3 days ago #3

Replied by countrifie on topic I have never threatened to

I have never threatened to close my account but once my wife found a credit card that had a much lower rate than the one we had been using so we decided we would close out the old credit card because we didn't use it for some time. We called in to close and they asked why of course and I had her get on the phone and tell them because I don't explain that stuff good and they told us not to close that they would offer us a lower rate. but they done that on their own because we did intend to close the account.
16 years 1 week ago #4

Replied by garydman on topic Yeah they will occasionally call

Yeah they will occasionally call your bluff but, they can't just up and close your account. The best approach varies by company. For instance, for Capital One it is better to call for CLI's, HSBC/Orchard, it's better to wait for the auto-cli's. Most of the CCC's have software that determines what you get and when you get it. If there is a CLI available for the CSR to give you, you will get it. Like any interaction in life, if you want something, you have to start by being nice. And for some reason if you get somone on the other end of the line that isn't agreeing or seeing things your way, that makes it hard to be nice, right? If that turns out to be the case (and it will) just, in mid-sentence, hit the disconnect button and call back. You'll find that this is more productive than getting frustrated with someone who has no intention of helping you. Asking for a supervisor will work sometimes, but you still have to go about it in a way that doesn't demean the CSR or they will just undermine your chances while you are on hold. (remember, these people work together everyday, so you gotta know they have each others backs) The bottom line is, if you pay your bills on time and keep your utilization down (below 20-25%) you will get all the CLI's and new credit cards that you can handle.
16 years 1 week ago #5

Replied by Meya on topic Hellloooo! :laugh:

Hellloooo!
:laugh:
16 years 1 week ago #6

Replied by lyyssa01 on topic We've done it before, but

We've done it before, but we did it with the intention of really closing the account if we didn't get our way. :cool: That's how we lost Target Visa, though I kind of did want to keep them. But they were not willing to budge on the CLI, even after four years of being good customers. In my experience Target could care less if they keep your business.

Cap1 on the other hand, scrambled when we threatened to close. They transferred us to retention services where the CSR bent over backwards for our needs. People can say what they will about Cap1, but if you're a good customer to them they put a lot of value in you.
16 years 1 week ago #7

Replied by ceprateek on topic Have any of you used

Have any of you used this tactic to receive a CLI???? Was it successful??? If so, for what cards?? And if you did use this tactic and were successful, what is the best way to go about it. Just curious.

Ya and take i very seriously as they do what they say
16 years 2 weeks ago #8

Replied by Meya on topic lol! :laugh: :laugh:

lol!
:laugh: :laugh:
16 years 2 weeks ago #9
  • eric
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by eric on topic YES!!! Travelocity, and they closed

YES!!! Travelocity, and they closed it!

wow meya!

Ive closed a many of accounts with those threats...I also get them for APR reductions as well...its actually pretty funny when I tell them Im going to close the account then, I actually had a man say you called my bluff...lmao :laugh: :cheesing:
16 years 2 weeks ago #10

Replied by Meya on topic YES!!! Travelocity, and they closed

YES!!! Travelocity, and they closed it!
16 years 2 weeks ago #11

Replied by hjm331 on topic Yeah, I agree. Lately, this

Yeah, I agree. Lately, this hasn't been a good tactic because some CSR's will just go ahead and close your account. They really don't care and all they read is their scripts. I wouldn't try that because I wouldn't want one of my good cars getting closed for a CLI.
16 years 2 weeks ago #12
  • eric
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by eric on topic lol Clifton...I will say as

lol Clifton...I will say as a customer service mgr, that will not work...most of the call center employees have no say over you getting a CLI-also most of the mgrs dont either-I DONT @ BofA! We have a reason why we didnt give a CLI and another department makes that decision.
16 years 2 weeks ago #13

Replied by Adicus on topic I don’t recommend threatening to

I don’t recommend threatening to close an account if a CLI isn't offered/granted. What I have seen lately is a crazy frenzy for more and more CLI's requests. Don’t get me wrong, I have asked for CLI's in the past and have been denied or offered a CLI for a fee. Establish credit lines, get the next best card and then close the sorry ones out. You will feel so much better when they try to convince you to stay with them.....you may want to tell them, that you charge a fee for that. :cool:

Don't get caught up in the hype.
16 years 1 month ago #14
  • CLIFTON
  • CLIFTON's Avatar Topic Author

was created by CLIFTON

Have any of you used this tactic to receive a CLI???? Was it successful??? If so, for what cards?? And if you did use this tactic and were successful, what is the best way to go about it. Just curious.
16 years 1 month ago #15