help- should i refinance my car now, or wait?

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: help- should i refinance my car now, or wait?

I am sorry to hear that. Car loans are tricky because they do depreciate in value so quickly. I feel as though local credit unions are a hit or miss. I hope the next time you go, you will be able to get a lower rate and refinance.
7 years 6 months ago #1

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: help- should i refinance my car now, or wait?

I didn't have to do anything to become a member at my local credit union. The only thing I needed to do was to open up a savings account with $5. I did go and inquire about getting my interest rate lowered through their auto loan, but apparently they won't approve me for as much as I owe because they feel that there isn't enough equity in the car. I guess I'll just have to wait until I pay a little more of it off and try again.
7 years 6 months ago #2

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
7 years 7 months ago #3

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: help- should i refinance my car now, or wait?

FrankN wrote: They usually do. In general they tend to be more friendly to smaller businesses

That's good to know, Frank. I was going to try to work with a smaller local bank for my business, but I may look into the credit unions around here, too. I just have to find one I can qualify for.
7 years 7 months ago #4

They usually do. In general they tend to be more friendly to smaller businesses
7 years 8 months ago #5

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: help- should i refinance my car now, or wait?

Need to add is that the tax structure of a credit union is different than a national association or state bank. If I remember right, credit unions receive a major break on federal taxes.
7 years 8 months ago #6

Credit unions are owned by their membership, so the break in the lending rate and the bump in the savings yield relate to the benefits of ownership. Members of a credit union share something in common, such as a profession, workplace or locale.
7 years 8 months ago #7

Replied by patse on topic Re: help- should i refinance my car now, or wait?

SAR1954 wrote: My advice, try your local credit union. I did that recently and refinanced 2 cars I have, (between me and my husband) and went from a 17% to 5% interest rate for both. Good Luck to you!

Credit unions are a great place to get loans. I have always had the best luck there. I don't know how they do it but they seem to have the lowest rates.
7 years 8 months ago #8

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: help- should i refinance my car now, or wait?

Did you ever end up refinancing your auto loan? I've been thinking about doing this with my auto loan because it is at 6% right now. I've been told that there are some loans where the rates are down to 2.39%. I would really like to get in on this and save some money.
7 years 8 months ago #9

Replied by SAR1954 on topic Re: help- should i refinance my car now, or wait?

My advice, try your local credit union. I did that recently and refinanced 2 cars I have, (between me and my husband) and went from a 17% to 5% interest rate for both. Good Luck to you!
11 years 6 months ago #10
  • wndblwn06
  • wndblwn06's Avatar Topic Author

was created by wndblwn06

Could anyone offer some advice? I'm looking to refinance my car loan. I am 10 months into a 6 year loan @ 16% interest. Yuck. I would like to refinance RIGHT NOW (while I have pay stubs that show higher income) My credit scores are around 740, 699, and 660. I have a paid collection that will fall off in November of the credit bureau w/ 660. My income is going down..Should I wait for that to fall off? My income is pretty low, yet it is still higher than when I originally purchased the car.
11 years 6 months ago #11