Discover More Card

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Discover More Card

Discover now offering the ability to send money to anyone with a cell phone number or e-mail address. In 60 countries. See the link after the break:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/16/discover-cardholders-can-send-money-to-anyone-with-a-cell-phone/
12 years 11 months ago #1

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover More Card

Discover posted on my account about donating my cashback to the red cross to help out the terrible tragedy in Japan. It made my heart feel real good by doing it especially after dealing with the BOA crap.I did not know that you could donate to charity using your cashback at Discover.

Yeah, Discover has had the option to donate your Cashback Bonus for years. I believe Capital One is also allowing rewards points to be donated for the disaster in Japan.
13 years 1 week ago #2

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Discover More Card

Discover posted on my account about donating my cashback to the red cross to help out the terrible tragedy in Japan. It made my heart feel real good by doing it especially after dealing with the BOA crap.I did not know that you could donate to charity using your cashback at Discover.
13 years 2 weeks ago #3

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover More Card

Yes, the tiers are a bother. When I first got my Discover Card in 1999 it worked as follows: $0.01-$999.99 was .25%; $1,000-$1999.99 was .50%; $2,000-$2999.99 was .75% and anything over $3K was 1%. Then, on your anniversary date as long as you had at least $5 cash back they sent you a check. Over the years they have changed it a lot, including having to request the cash back yourself; in increments of $50. Because they have come a long way in 25 years, they no longer have to hand out the cash that they used to. Most cash back cards have changed over the years and if you do have a good one now, it can and probably will change too. One thing of note though is that they added the quarterly 5% bonus cash back offers which many times makes up for the lower tiers.
13 years 1 month ago #4

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Discover More Card

While everyone seems to appreciate the quality of the Discover Card (which is fine) remember to read the fine print. There are better rewards cards with greater acceptance. Moral of the story... know the product.

Hehe, I received my Blue Cash yesterday and was thinking the same thing about it. I was watching some T.V and reading the terms during commercials. :innocent: The cash back really isn't that great, until after you spend $6,500+ a year (which resets ever year). All in all, I am really happy with the card and will remain optimistic. After one month I'll post an update on things. And for the record, you guys did warn me about this *cough cough* your Chase card is probably better *cough cough.*
13 years 1 month ago #5
  • Wanderer
  • Wanderer's Avatar Topic Author

was created by Wanderer

In reading postings on this website related to the Discover Card, I decided to dig in and see what the real "rewards" benefits were. Findings equaled a look at what the actual wording in the agreement for the "Discover More Card" Agreement stated: In the "REWARDS" section as included here for the reader's reference (note the real rewards are tierd for 2011 and really start out at 0.25% while ads give the impression of more... bottom line is read the fine print) :white-flag:

REWARDS: Earn cash rewards on all your purchases. Full terms and conditions will be sent with your card. Up to 1% Cashback Bonus - Automatically earn 1% unlimited Cashback Bonus on purchases after your total annual purchases exceed $3000; purchases that are part of your first $3000 earn .25%. Warehouse purchases (those made at select warehouse clubs, discount stores and their affiliates) earn .25%. 5% Cashback Bonus program - Earn 5% Cashback Bonus on category purchases up to the total purchase dollar amount specified in each program. You must sign up for each 5% program. Category purchases in excess of the specified amounts will automatically earn up to 1% Cashback Bonus. Warehouse purchases and category purchases are not included in determining your total annual purchases eligible to earn 1% Cashback Bonus. Rewards have no expiration date; however, if your account is closed for any reason or inactive for 18 consecutive months or if you fail to make any Minimum Payment Due for two consecutive billing periods, any Cashback Bonus in your Cashback Bonus account will be forfeited. Click here to see the current 5% program details. Earn unlimited cash rewards on all purchases. Earn a full 2% Cashback Bonus on your first $250 in combined gas and restaurant purchases each billing period. In addition, earn a full 1% unlimited Cashback Bonus on all other purchases after your total annual purchases exceed $3,000; other purchases that are part of your first $3,000 earn .25%. Combined gas and restaurant purchases in excess of $250 each billing period earn Cashback Bonus at the same rate as other purchases. Gas and restaurant purchases are those made at merchants classified as gas stations and at merchants classified as full-service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast food locations. Purchases coded for a category other than those listed above will not qualify. Warehouse purchases (those made at select warehouse clubs, discount stores and their affiliates) earn .25%. We do not include warehouse purchases or your first $250 in combined gas and restaurants purchases each month in calculating your total annual purchases to determine your tier level. Rewards are redeemable starting at $20. Rewards have no expiration date; however, if your account is closed for any reason or inactive for 18 consecutive months or if you fail to make any Minimum Payment Due for two consecutive billing periods, any Cashback Bonus in you Cashback Bonus account will be forfeited. Full terms and conditions will be sent with your card. Earn Miles on all purchases. Earn 2 Miles for each dollar you spend on your first $3,000 in combined travel and restaurant purchases each year. In addition, earn 1 Mile for each dollar you spend on all other purchases, including combined annual travel and restaurant purchases in excess of $3,000. Travel purchases are those made on airline tickets, hotel rooms, car rentals, cruises, tour operators and vacation packages purchased through travel agents, including online purchases. Restaurant purchases are those made at merchants classified as full-service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast food locations. If a purchase is coded for a category other than those listed above, it will not qualify. Rewards have no expiration date; however, if your account is closed for any reason or inactive for 18 consecutive months or if you fail to make any Minimum Payment Due for two consecutive billing periods, any Miles in your Miles account will be forfeited. Full terms and conditions, including redemption information, will be sent with your card. Earn unlimited cash rewards. Each time you pay at least the Minimum Payment Due by the Payment Due Date for six consecutive billing periods, you will earn a Pay-On-Time Bonus equal to the Interest Charges shown on your next statement. However, we will be changing the way in which you will earn Pay-On-Time Bonus so that each time you pay at least the Minimum Payment Due by the Payment Due Date, you earn a Pay-On-Time Bonus equal to 5% of the Interest Charges shown on your next statement. These changes will be effective for billing periods beginning after May 1, 2011 starting with the first billing period that your Pay-On-Time Bonus counter is at or resets to zero. Your counter resets to zero when]Cashback Bonus[/I] on all purchases after your total annual purchases exceed $3,000; other purchases that are part of your first $3,000 earn .25%. Warehouse purchases (those made at select warehouse clubs, discount stores and their affiliates) earn .25%. We do not include warehouse purchases in calculating your total annual purchases to determine your tier level. Rewards are redeemable starting at $20. Rewards have no expiration date; however, if your account is closed for any reason or inactive for 18 consecutive months or if you fail to make any Minimum Payment Due for two consecutive billing periods, any Cashback Bonus in your Cashback Bonus account will be forfeited. Full terms and conditions will be sent with your card. Earn unlimited Miles on all purchases. Earn 2 Miles for each dollar you spend on all purchases. Rewards have no expiration date; however, if your account is closed for any reason or inactive for 18 consecutive months or if you fail to make any Minimum Payment Due for two consecutive billing periods, any Miles in your Miles account will be forfeited. Full terms and conditions, including redemption information, will be sent with your card.

While everyone seems to appreciate the quality of the Discover Card (which is fine) remember to read the fine print. There are better rewards cards with greater acceptance. Moral of the story... know the product.
13 years 1 month ago #6