Credit Card Questions

Poll: Does anyone find this thread helpful?

Yes
67 80.7%
No
5 6%
Somewhat
11 13.3%
Total number of voters: 9 ( Wanderer, FrankN, JacksonM, JGibbs, vincymol ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

not hating on the CU's Joeyman, my wife is part of CU ( she hates BOA too ). I don't think living in a rural area has anything to do with it either.

For me, BOA has just made banking convenient. For example, I had $200 in one dollar bills and if taken to my wife's credit union they would have counted it by hand before making the deposit, BOA would have run it through a bill counter and then asked if what they had as a final number matched what I came in with. Now I know that sounds lame, but since time is never on your side, sitting there watching the teller count my deposit, instead of using current technology to do the same thing just faster is wasting my time.

Oh yeah Joeyman I belonged to a Credit Union at one time (Patelco in California)....................

I love credit unions also, but mostly for loans. It has been my experience that for my everyday checking account needs, the banks are better. I have a (free) BofA checking but it is not my primary checking (no BofA in Colorado). My main checking is a local Colorado owned bank. Love them. But a car loan? HELOC? Future credit card? Only a credit union for me.
13 years 9 months ago #211

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

not hating on the CU's Joeyman, my wife is part of CU ( she hates BOA too ). I don't think living in a rural area has anything to do with it either.

For me, BOA has just made banking convenient. For example, I had $200 in one dollar bills and if taken to my wife's credit union they would have counted it by hand before making the deposit, BOA would have run it through a bill counter and then asked if what they had as a final number matched what I came in with. Now I know that sounds lame, but since time is never on your side, sitting there watching the teller count my deposit, instead of using current technology to do the same thing just faster is wasting my time.

Oh yeah Joeyman I belonged to a Credit Union at one time (Patelco in California)....................
13 years 9 months ago #212

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

whoa, ditch BOA ? ok guys now I know not everyone likes BOA, but you must admit you can now do everything from their atm's, i.e., deposit, cash, checks, move money, account balance, etc.., I now go into a BOA branch once a month !

Credit unions are cool, but for out and out convenience, a CU can't touch the Big Banks in my area !

Banks like Bank of America got us into this economic mess, I will gladly hate them for the rest of my life. As to the convenience of a CU, you must live in a rural area? My CU is apart of the CU Service Centers, at the moment there are 6,400 credit unions participating. Because they are participating I get to bank at their branches, there's no limitations, bank 100% fully. As for ATM's, Bank of American may have more features, but CU's (if apart of the CO-OP network) have access to 28,000 ATM's free of charge (including all 7-Eleven's). I found there are 18,000 Bank of American ATM's where you will not have to pay a fee.

I'm not trying to ask you to change banks or anything, just saying there are healthier options out.
13 years 9 months ago #213

whoa, ditch BOA ? ok guys now I know not everyone likes BOA, but you must admit you can now do everything from their atm's, i.e., deposit, cash, checks, move money, account balance, etc.., I now go into a BOA branch once a month !

Credit unions are cool, but for out and out convenience, a CU can't touch the Big Banks in my area !
13 years 9 months ago #214

i agree i have DCU as my credit union and everything he says is true above, plus with mine they offer free credit reports each month from Equifax and on the visa credit card application you can PICK your limit(not secured, not unsecured...CREDIT CARD)!! they also have a service where you get money back from using non DCU ATMS you get the fees,surcharges, etc, at the end of the month back into your account
plus with credit unions they are less busy on the weekends some are open on sundays as well now recently you dont even have to have a family member enroll you in, have a referral or be a member of credit unionbs now and days you can simply fill out the app online of at the branch you are in becuase on thing about credit unions once you are in... you are in....
says uzipolo king of decatur

I get to see a free Equifax score, but not the full report. They update monthly.
13 years 9 months ago #215

Replied by uzipolo on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Ditch Bank of America! Go credit unions... Lower visa rates, lower home mortgage rates, lower auto loans rate, and more convenient. That's right more convenient. With the shared branch and co-op networks you have access to over 28,000 ATM's (included all 7-elven stores) and 9,000 branches nation wide. My credit union is located downtown, yet I use the closest credit union for my banking needs (it's not even the same bank!). They're linked with the shared-branch system. Universal banking software for all credit unions.

http://www.cuswirl.com/Home/p/295627/Default.aspx

http://www.co-opfs.org/public/index.cfm

i agree i have DCU as my credit union and everything he says is true above, plus with mine they offer free credit reports each month from Equifax and on the visa credit card application you can PICK your limit(not secured, not unsecured...CREDIT CARD)!! they also have a service where you get money back from using non DCU ATMS you get the fees,surcharges, etc, at the end of the month back into your account
plus with credit unions they are less busy on the weekends some are open on sundays as well now recently you dont even have to have a family member enroll you in, have a referral or be a member of credit unionbs now and days you can simply fill out the app online of at the branch you are in becuase on thing about credit unions once you are in... you are in....
says uzipolo king of decatur
13 years 9 months ago #216

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Denied for an orchard m/c

I actually just applied and got approved for an unsecured USAA Platinum MC. I initially applied for the other MC with cash rewards online, but they denied that one and offered the $500 one instead. The note on the approval said it's a good way to re-establish and build your credit. It's one minute and it was done! I can go online and actually see the account. I am not military, but I am a regular USAA member. Glad I joined! Also, what may have helped is that I applied for an Orchard Bank card less than 60 days ago and have been paying on time. They reported to all three credit bureaus immediately after the first 30 days!

Congratulations! WOW... I didn't know USAA would do it! Now I know along with the other readers.
13 years 9 months ago #217

Replied by sfrancis on topic Re: Denied for an orchard m/c

did you know that USAA is now doing a pilot program with secured credit cards. give them a call. they'll hook you right up

I actually just applied and got approved for an unsecured USAA Platinum MC. I initially applied for the other MC with cash rewards online, but they denied that one and offered the $500 one instead. The note on the approval said it's a good way to re-establish and build your credit. It's one minute and it was done! I can go online and actually see the account. I am not military, but I am a regular USAA member. Glad I joined! Also, what may have helped is that I applied for an Orchard Bank card less than 60 days ago and have been paying on time. They reported to all three credit bureaus immediately after the first 30 days!
13 years 9 months ago #218

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Just curious about these cards, never was a big Cap One fan but they come highly regarded here at FG................

Not much of a Capital One fan myself... have had several Capital One cards (they helped me restart after credit disaster)... If you can seek out a regular brand card (based on credit history) do it and take the inquiry hard hit for a regular brand. Over my credit card history (since 1973) Capital One was there but with the small credit lines (less than $5K). All my CLs today are above $5K and they are regular brands! On the Capital One Business Card side, I had $6K and $10.6K CLs. Go figure... (closed Capital One down when they found it necessary to report business credit cards to the personal credit bureaus [October 2009] and raise my 7.9% fixed rate credit card rate to 17.9% variable [since 2001] with a spotless credit record). Yes, I am bitter about how they treated many of us and I found I outgrew them... PS They were regularily changing the terms and conditions and the customer service had a script and got so they couldn't do anything!
13 years 9 months ago #219

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I've never had a problem with Cap One and love using the card.
13 years 9 months ago #220

Just curious about these cards, never was a big Cap One fan but they come highly regarded here at FG................
13 years 9 months ago #221

Couldn't find a Cap One thread so I will ask here. Went out to the site and went through their "Lets see what your pre qualified for" link. I was pre qualified for the following]
[*]Platinum Prestige
[*]Venture
[*]Venture One
[/LIST]Ok all you Cap One afficinado's, are any of these worth the time ? One claims to be as good as an Amex Charge Card.

I don't know much about any of those cards. But, damn, there is a lot of Venture commercials right now. :white-flag: :white-flag: :white-flag:
13 years 9 months ago #222

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Couldn't find a Cap One thread so I will ask here. Went out to the site and went through their "Lets see what your pre qualified for" link. I was pre qualified for the following]
[*]Platinum Prestige
[*]Venture
[*]Venture One
[/LIST]Ok all you Cap One afficinado's, are any of these worth the time ? One claims to be as good as an Amex Charge Card.

Bump!
13 years 9 months ago #223
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

13 years 9 months ago #224

Replied by uzipolo on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

:fun:hello
does anyone have the link to backdoor numbers for credit cards?
thanks
i love the site i study this site 10 hours a day
13 years 9 months ago #225