Credit Card Questions

Poll: Does anyone find this thread helpful?

Yes
67 80.7%
No
5 6%
Somewhat
11 13.3%
Total number of voters: 9 ( Wanderer, FrankN, JacksonM, JGibbs, vincymol ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Credit Card Questions - AMEX

Thanks Joeyman! I'm not gonna apply for the Amex card right now. I don't want to risk getting denied. And I think I have enough cards for now. I don't really want to spend that much at this time. I'm saving for my first home.

Current Credit Situation

As the one commercial used to go..., "...baby you've come along way...". WOW! Great job. :cool:
13 years 6 months ago #181

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Credit Card Questions - AMEX

Thanks Joeyman! I'm not gonna apply for the Amex card right now. I don't want to risk getting denied. And I think I have enough cards for now. I don't really want to spend that much at this time. I'm saving for my first home.

Current Credit Situation

Nice $2k limits! :cc:
13 years 6 months ago #182

Replied by krave on topic Re: Credit Card Questions - AMEX

Inquiries fall of every two years; however, typically the creditor only looks back at the past six months of inquiries. I'm waiting until next year because I'll have about 4 inquiries falling off then, and that will result in a higher credit score. Your credit situation may be different from mine

Current Credit Situation:
Bank of America Student Visa (Opened July 2008) = $2,000 limit
JC Penney Card by GEMB (Opened December 2009) = $1,500 limit
Walmart Card by GEMB (Opened December 2009) = $1,200 limit
Capital One Platinum Mastercard (Opened January 2010) = $1,500 limit
Chase Freedom Exclusive Visa (Opened January 2010) = $2,000 limit
Car Loan = approx. $16,000 balance
13 years 6 months ago #183

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Citibank offered me a few months ago on my platinum select 1% cashback on all purchases until June of next year(I took it) and for my DIvidend card I was offered 20% bonus on all cashback I earn until May of next year(took that too) obvious to keep my attention on using the cards.

Gratz on 300 posts Eugene! :cool:
13 years 6 months ago #184

Yeah, I'm not really interested in the Blue Sky coz I don't travel a lot. (I have air-sickness, I only travel by air if I need to.

Inquiries fall of every two years; however, typically the creditor only looks back at the past six months of inquiries. I'm waiting until next year because I'll have about 4 inquiries falling off then, and that will result in a higher credit score. Your credit situation may be different from mine:

- West Coast Bank College Rewards Visa (issued by Elan) - $1,400 limit
- Classic Visa, Unitus CCU - $1,000 limit
- Capital One Platinum MasterCard - $1,500 limit

Scores are 700-725; with 8 inquiries; and 24 months history on my oldest account.

AMEX is probably one of the toughest creditors around; often times consumers have the best success applying for a charge card first, then waiting for a pre-approval offer via their online account. However, if you are receiving pre-selected offers right now you may have high chances of being approved. I may suggest you filling out the pre-selected form on AMEX's website when you're ready to apply. A lot of people similar to us have been getting approved for the new Zync charge card from AMEX.
13 years 6 months ago #185

I'm all about the Blue Cash as well. We're pretty much in the same boat; I have two years of credit history as of this month! I'm waiting until early next year to apply for the Blue Cash.

PS

Yeah, I'm not really interested in the Blue Sky coz I don't travel a lot. (I have air-sickness, I only travel by air if I need to. :fun:) So you're gonna wait until next year to apply? Do you also get pre-approval letters in the mail? Or you're gonna apply online?

I have about 4 hard inquiries from Dec 2009 to January 2010. When will it fall off? Does Amex deny applicants with hard inquiries on their credit file?

Should I wait till my inquiries fall off?

Thanks!
13 years 6 months ago #186

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Citibank offered me a few months ago on my platinum select 1% cashback on all purchases until June of next year(I took it) and for my DIvidend card I was offered 20% bonus on all cashback I earn until May of next year(took that too) obvious to keep my attention on using the cards.

Hmm... they didn't offer me the rewards. Interesting. :upset:
13 years 6 months ago #187

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

13 years 6 months ago #188

I thought about applying for the Citi Platinum card for the bt offer. Has anybody had any luck with this card? I am sitting around 20% utilization and over half of my cards have a zero balance.

Since the credit melt down, Citi Cards has been all over the place on FICO Scores required. I have this card with a few inquiries and 0% utilization. You could call them and feel it out. Great card but no rewards!
13 years 6 months ago #189

I get a couple of "Pre-Approved" offers from Amex in the mail, but it's usually for those cards with annual fee.

I got a "Blue Sky Acceptance Certificate" yesterday and I'm wondering if it's worth applying for? It's an Amex Blue Sky with No Annual Fee.

I only have 2 years of credit history, recent credit card application was january 2010. credit score (according to creditkarma.com) is 720.

Will I get approved for the Blue Sky?

I'm actually interested in Blue, Blue Cash or Clear.

Which one has the higher chance for approval?

Do they ask for pay stubs? Do I have to call them after I respond to the mail offer?

Thanks in advance!

I'm all about the Blue Cash as well. We're pretty much in the same boat; I have two years of credit history as of this month! I'm waiting until early next year to apply for the Blue Cash.

PS: I used to like the Costco AMEX... However, it focuses on cash back for gas purchases and I don't drive anymore. One thing witht the Blue Cash... You have to spend $6,500 before the 5% cash back is possible. That'll take me at least six months.
13 years 6 months ago #190

I get a couple of "Pre-Approved" offers from Amex in the mail, but it's usually for those cards with annual fee.

I got a "Blue Sky Acceptance Certificate" yesterday and I'm wondering if it's worth applying for? It's an Amex Blue Sky with No Annual Fee.

I only have 2 years of credit history, recent credit card application was january 2010. credit score (according to creditkarma.com) is 720.

Will I get approved for the Blue Sky?

I'm actually interested in Blue, Blue Cash or Clear.

Which one has the higher chance for approval?

Do they ask for pay stubs? Do I have to call them after I respond to the mail offer?

Thanks in advance! :white-flag:
13 years 6 months ago #191

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I thought about applying for the Citi Platinum card for the bt offer. Has anybody had any luck with this card? I am sitting around 20% utilization and over half of my cards have a zero balance.

Nice job keeping your balances low! Although I'm sure the Citi Platinum card is nice, I'd just sit tight. I noticed in one of your other posts you have eight inquiries. Now, typically a creditor will only review inquiries from the last six months so that might not be a problem for you, but they have defiantly will or have effected your credit score.

PS: Make sure you don't forget to use those zero balance cards, without usage it could result in self closure. And that would suck. :relieved:
13 years 7 months ago #192

Replied by interjack on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

13 years 7 months ago #193

Hi all, my dh is thinking about getting a Citibank Secured credit card. We found out about this card while at Citibank (we have an account with them). He is trying to rebuild his credit and I would just like to know if anyone has dealt with the Citi secured card?

TIA,

rwmtd

Citi has used a certificate of deposit for eighteen months as security for their cards. Get the money back when it goes unsecured. The amount of the CD is the credit line. Another option is Bank America Secured Card where they hold a savings account for generally nine to twelve months with graduation to an unsecured card with a credit line increase and return of your savings account money. This site has seen good results with BofA.
13 years 7 months ago #194

Replied by rwmtd on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Hi all, my dh is thinking about getting a Citibank Secured credit card. We found out about this card while at Citibank (we have an account with them). He is trying to rebuild his credit and I would just like to know if anyone has dealt with the Citi secured card?

TIA,

rwmtd
13 years 7 months ago #195