Visa with Chip and pin technology?

Replied by FrankN on topic Chip cards

I bought one, and it actually seemed to create other issues for my credit cards. They would never work!
7 years 15 hours ago #16

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Chip cards

Don't they make special wallets now so hackers can't access your cards? I thought I saw something like that for sale at AAA. Again, though, it's probably only a matter of time before they find their way through it.
7 years 3 weeks ago #17

Replied by Wanderer on topic Chip cards

That is true however, they may have your data and potentially your identification which is a bigger issue.
7 years 3 weeks ago #18

Replied by Tishbel on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

FrugalFran wrote: I think my biggest gripe with the change is that it won't last. The hackers and thieves out there will find a way to make it unsafe and the credit card companies will have to come up with another solution then we'll all be adapting again. The price of progress, I guess.

They're already talking about Contactless payment and Android Pay and that just seems really unsafe to me. If the card doesn't have to leave your pocket to be charged, couldn't anyone with a scanner just take money off it without you knowing?
7 years 3 weeks ago #19

Replied by FrankN on topic Chip cards

Most likely. On a positive note, you are almost never liable if someone fraudulently spends on your credit card. All you need to do is call the credit card company and they will remove the fraudulent charges.
7 years 9 months ago #20

Replied by patse on topic Chip cards

I have been having a ton of trouble with mine lately. Seriously, it is slowing the whole buying process down. I also think that hackers will just find a different way to hack into our accounts.
7 years 9 months ago #21

Replied by Moneyes on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

Well, hackers can't get into my cash that's in my wallet, so there's their solution......I wish. I like the change. For me, the process seems to be quicker.
7 years 10 months ago #22

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

I think my biggest gripe with the change is that it won't last. The hackers and thieves out there will find a way to make it unsafe and the credit card companies will have to come up with another solution then we'll all be adapting again. The price of progress, I guess.
7 years 10 months ago #23

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

From what I have read, there is not a deadline for companies to switch, but the most should be switched by the end of 2016. Its supposed to be very good technology and safer than what it was in the past. However, I think the process is slower, and I have been annoyed several times during the process. Several times, I have had to wait several minutes for the chip to read and work. Not a big pain, but if I am trying to get out of the store, I would rather just swipe it.
7 years 10 months ago #24

You're right about that, Breakinger. Most of the stores I go to don't have the chip readers hooked up yet, so I don't see what the point is to all of this. I never know when I'm supposed to use the darn thing. Does anyone know if there is a deadline for all credit card machines being switched over the chip reader?
7 years 10 months ago #25

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

I agree that it is a pain to use these machines sometimes. What I'm finding to be inconvenient is that you stick your card in assuming that it is all ready to go and the cashier stands there looking at you saying that their machine isn't hooked up yet. But, when the machines do work, they seem to be pretty quick where I've been.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Breakinger.
7 years 10 months ago #26

Replied by Curry on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

I think it was a bad 'idea that wasn't implemented well. Card holders, merchants, banks and the makers of the chip technology do not seem to be ale to be on the same page. It has been about 5 years now since they started rolling them out and it's been a jumbled mess ever since.
7 years 10 months ago #27

I agree with you, Patse. My main problem with the chip readers is that some stores are no longer allowing me to choose between credit and debit for my bank card. I've also noticed that in some stores, it depends on the register you go to. For example, my local Walmart has some registers that won't take the card without using the chip reader and other registers where you can still swipe it.
7 years 10 months ago #28

Replied by patse on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

Breakinger wrote: My Visa card finally has chip and pin technology in it. This just happened over the summer for my card, but my Discover card took action sooner than that. Now if only more stores would get their machines working so I could use it when I shop. I don't know what it taking so long to get these setup.

I actually think it's a pain in the butt to use the machines with the chip readers. The stores I have been to are so slow. I get that these cards are supposed to be safer, but I'm usually in a hurry.
7 years 10 months ago #29

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

My Visa card finally has chip and pin technology in it. This just happened over the summer for my card, but my Discover card took action sooner than that. Now if only more stores would get their machines working so I could use it when I shop. I don't know what it taking so long to get these setup.
7 years 10 months ago #30